Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: Grindr

Roadie
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

by Sat October 12th, 2019, 01:16

Quote Originally Posted by JSparksFan View Post
    The introvert in me hates this, but I've even been doing a bit of that lately...and it still often leads to meeting guys who just want to have NSA sex.
    Environment is key, though. If you meet a guy at the bar or the club or even at Pride, he's most likely got NSA sex on his mind. But if you meet him in another context, he'll be more likely to want to get to know you. I've had better luck meeting people when I wasn't specifically trying to meet people. You can increase your odds just by doing more of the thing that interest you and staying open to the signs. Take a class you've always wanted to take, see what's happening at your local library, go to a museum you've never been to, etc. You never know who'll you'll meet when you're just out there living your life
    The sands of time fade into dark
    Feel your pulse it's groove o'clock
    A message to madness
    Feel music that's realness

Superstar
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)

by Sun October 13th, 2019, 10:11

Quote Originally Posted by NormiMalone View Post
    Environment is key, though. If you meet a guy at the bar or the club or even at Pride, he's most likely got NSA sex on his mind. But if you meet him in another context, he'll be more likely to want to get to know you. I've had better luck meeting people when I wasn't specifically trying to meet people. You can increase your odds just by doing more of the thing that interest you and staying open to the signs. Take a class you've always wanted to take, see what's happening at your local library, go to a museum you've never been to, etc. You never know who'll you'll meet when you're just out there living your life
    Ugh I am tired of attracting guys who only want sex. Maybe I really should search in other places other than clubs or grindr.
    The virtue of stanning talent & having qualitea taste: DUA LIPA ♪ RIHANNA ♪ MADONNA
    #NO DUSTY DIVAS ALLOWED

Legend
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

by Mon October 14th, 2019, 06:13

I decided to delete all of the apps since they've started to make me lose faith there are actually normal people out there. Now i'm just going with the flow even tho my chances of meeting someone the normal way are low

Legend
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)

by Mon October 14th, 2019, 09:49

If this give you guys some hope: I actually met my ex (together for over 7 years) and my current partner (together since March 2017) through these apps, so I think it is possible to find something serious.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by Mon October 14th, 2019, 13:28

Quote Originally Posted by Tansike View Post
    If this give you guys some hope: I actually met my ex (together for over 7 years) and my current partner (together since March 2017) through these apps, so I think it is possible to find something serious.
    I met my last partner through them as well! We lasted 7 years. I have met a few cool friends through it as well so there is hope!

Legend
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

by Mon October 14th, 2019, 19:46

Quote Originally Posted by aRat View Post
    Ugh I am tired of attracting guys who only want sex. Maybe I really should search in other places other than clubs or grindr.
    You should... Lemme suggest places you and @toni_pest will find normal people.

1 At the cinemas and/or theaters
    2 After a concert
    3 The boring work seminars

A while back I took the bold step of doing away with dating apps and actually just approaching someone I fancied and starting a conversation from there. I had gone to watch a stage play alone and he too was alone. I pretended I was new to that place and asked for the directions to the main auditorium. He was kind enough to show me around. By the close of the night I had his number, the following weekend I was inviting him to watch another play. Soon after we were hanging out in clubs, parks and all those places. When I finally felt we were good friends, I invited him over to my place and made my intentions known

Legend
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)

by Mon October 14th, 2019, 20:42

I met my husband at work.

So obviously I haven't been searching for a love intrest since, but I met other nice gay guys as friends by going to gay clubs, going to Madonna parties, at parties of other gay friends, at concerts, etc.
    Don't give up, just look around.
    My Instagram... - Click here

Legend
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

by Tue October 15th, 2019, 03:19

I went on a Grindr date this past Saturday, and it was fine. He didn't kill me, and we had a decent time, which qualifies as a success in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
    I think I heard Kik is going away though.

I've had the least amount of success on Tinder as well. Like I get lots of matches but they don't lead to real conversations.
    My Kik experience thus far has been a flop.

I definitely agree with you about context, though I will say that I recently attended an LGBT professional networking event and somehow still ended up coming across a guy who wanted to exchange numbers to meet up later for sex. So sometimes environment doesn't do as much as you would like.

Also, unfortunately, most of the things I'm passionate about are solo activities and I generally do enjoy spending a large chunk of my free time by myself, so that doesn't really open the door to many networking opportunities.

Honestly, I 100% believe that these things come to you when you're not looking for it, so perhaps I can just chill a bit and let it happen in its own time. I remember meeting what seemed like a great prospect on a pretty regular day just super randomly, and that organic meeting was really cute.
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, its not an option.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)

by Tue October 15th, 2019, 10:34

I went on a Grindr date this past Saturday, and it was fine. He didn't kill me, and we had a decent time, which qualifies as a success in my book.
    I heard it's hard to get back into the dating game when you get killed on a date.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Roadie
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

by Tue October 15th, 2019, 10:41

I met my SO of 5 years now on Okcupid. I dont know if thats still a thing but hes 100% normal. I would never date anyone on Grindr as I dont trust any of them. Grindr can get addicting when you know hooking up with someone is as easy as opening an app

Superstar
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)

by Tue October 15th, 2019, 10:48

I never hooked up on Grindr. I chatted with some people years years ago, but never actually went to a date or smth.
    I have received many gifts from God,
    but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

by Tue October 15th, 2019, 17:25

@DOSSOME: You are right. If you're really searching for a serious long-term relationship, real life is the place where your chances are the biggest. I only see two little difficulties there: If you're a man sexually attracted to men, the chance is 90-95% that the guy you are talking to is attracted to the opposite sex. In other words: You may have to face many rejections. And then you need to start a discussion (or at least get involved into one) somehow, which may not be easy for introvert men.

@RayRay: Your relationship really sounds like an ideal. I wish I will be there someday as well. Well, less cats and more children, but you get my point ;) . On the dating site I'm registered on, there are so many dudes who sleep around and are into open relationships. This seems so impractical for real life communication to me. I mean, could you imagine any of these scenarios ?:
    1. 'So, Mr. Miller, we've worked together for quite a while now and I still haven't met your wife. How's she doing?' 'Well, I don't have a wife but a f*ckboy.'
    2. 'So Mr. Smith, I've seen that young man entering and leaving your house on the regular lately; is he your brother?' 'Not quite, he's my affair for occasional threesomes.'
    3. 'Mr. Primary School Teacher, I can't make it to the next parents' meeting due to job issues. My friend with benefits will substitute me. Is that OK, too?'
    Last edited by theMathematician; Tue October 15th, 2019 at 18:31.
    ~ representing the LBC ~

Legend
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)

by Tue October 15th, 2019, 18:29

I still have the app on my phone, but never enter it. maybe like once a year, or when I’m abroad. Though the thought of actually going on a date horrifies me nowadays, can’t believe how eager I used to be.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

by Thu October 17th, 2019, 01:56

Quote Originally Posted by aRat View Post
    Couldn't hurt to try, boo. It's a tricky gear shift to make from an energy stand point, especially if you're used to giving of those "Just wanna have fun" vibes. You could end up sending that signal without meaning to just by virtue of it being a habit when you're around a hawt guy. So be very clear about what you want for yourself before you head out there, that way you can be very intentional about the vibe you're giving.

My Kik experience thus far has been a flop

I definitely agree with you about context, though I will say that I recently attended an LGBT professional networking event and somehow still ended up coming across a guy who wanted to exchange numbers to meet up later for sex. So sometimes environment doesn't do as much as you would like.

Also, unfortunately, most of the things I'm passionate about are solo activities and I generally do enjoy spending a large chunk of my free time by myself, so that doesn't really open the door to many networking opportunities.

Honestly, I 100% believe that these things come to you when you're not looking for it, so perhaps I can just chill a bit and let it happen in its own time. I remember meeting what seemed like a great prospect on a pretty regular day just super randomly, and that organic meeting was really cute.

So glad you're able to get even a date off Grindr, I've not even gotten that far with it. Congrats! That is indeed a win. And I can relate to the floppage of Kik. It's a bust where I live.

And it's true, men can be a horny lot no matter where you meet them; some of 'em really do just want to get off. But I agree wholeheartedly with your last statement: these thing come to you when you're not looking for them. You can make a tremendous connection just go on about life, do things you enjoy. Hope you're able to explore the potential of the prospect you met organically, keep us posted?
    A message to madness

Legend
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

by Sat October 19th, 2019, 03:57

So glad you're able to get even a date off Grindr, I've not even gotten that far with it. Congrats! That is indeed a win. And I can relate to the floppage of Kik. It's a bust where I live.

And it's true, men can be a horny lot no matter where you meet them; some of 'em really do just want to get off. But I agree wholeheartedly with your last statement: these thing come to you when you're not looking for them. You can make a tremendous connection just go on about life, do things you enjoy. Hope you're able to explore the potential of the prospect you met organically, keep us posted?
    Yeah, I recently moved to a much bigger city than my old one, and I thought that because the pool was so much bigger here that there'd be, like, tonnes of eligible bachelors on the apps, but...it's not been working out that way. In my old city, once I got comfortable with the risk you take meeting up with a stranger, I actually met three fairly decent guys. One of them actually seemed like he was going to have some staying power, but that took a left turn and I jumped ship. Interestingly enough, I think I'm pretty big on using the apps because I'm four for four in terms of meeting decent guys, though I should probably knock on wood with that.

The organic connection was actually the biggest disappointment because I adored him so much - he ticked so many boxes for me - and then I found out he was DL with a girlfriend, and woefully in denial about his sexual orientation. That basically axed any chances for anything healthy to blossom. On paper, we seemed like a perfect match.

Funnily enough, it's only since last year May that I really even noticed I was single, and I think it's only since August of this year that I've actively been trying to change that, and I think that's largely due to me living on my own now so I guess it's a combination of curiosity, loneliness, and boredom (though the latter two often go hand in hand).

Inevitably, the novelty of being somewhere new will fade, and I suspect I'll settle into a rhythm whereby I'm not so keen on dating, and just more willing to take things as they come, whilst making minimal efforts to seek out what's available, but I'll keep you guys posted.
    You have the luxury of choosing loneliness. For some people, its not an option.

Legend
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

by Sat October 19th, 2019, 13:47

@JSparksFan unfortunately I've found the newcomer effect on these apps is very brief.

I think it is ironic that in bigger cities, it's harder to connect through them if it's not a hook-up. Those apps just make everyone too accessible. There's just too many choices and people get ADD when it comes to interaction with one another.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

by Sat October 19th, 2019, 20:38

Aw dang, that sucks about that guy--- you definitely don't need any insecure closeted energy in your life, @JSparksFan. And I agree, you'll likely settle into a rhythm of taking things as they come and it is probably then that you'll find a good match. Fingers crossed for you!
    A message to madness