Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Donna Summer

Legend
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu May 24th, 2012, 08:53

I'm now pumping 'Hot Stuff' out of my speakers. Good morning people!

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun May 27th, 2012, 21:34

Apparently reports are now saying she finished a new album shortly before her death.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue May 29th, 2012, 02:12

Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    Apparently reports are now saying she finished a new album shortly before her death.
    Oooh exciting

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue May 29th, 2012, 02:24

Amazing news Crayons was stunning.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed June 13th, 2012, 20:50

A shame this letter was sent in 1989 but not revealed to the public until after her death. I always found it disgusting the way the gay community turned against Donna in the 1980s because of an unsubstantiated rumor that she made homophobic comments on television and in a concert.

http://www.queerty.com/donna-summer-sen ... -20120613/

Legend
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 14th, 2012, 11:24

A shame this letter was sent in 1989 but not revealed to the public until after her death. I always found it disgusting the way the gay community turned against Donna in the 1980s because of an unsubstantiated rumor that she made homophobic comments on television and in a concert.

http://www.queerty.com/donna-summer-sen ... -20120613/
    +1.

Its so sad to watch her live performances, considering what she might've been going through at the time with regards to illness and the like. This VH1 concert in particular is currently slaying my life.

This Time I Know Its For Real: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTuCIjE8 ... ure=g-vrec

Legend
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed September 26th, 2012, 19:09

Just watching her VH1 concert from start-to-finish - its so sad to watch, knowing that she's gone. MacArthur Park slays me every single time I listen to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mbpx_kq ... re=related

Her voice was still absolutely astonishing, right up until the end of her career.

I hope that we get to hear some of that unreleased music that she apparently recorded before she died.

What an absolute legend.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu September 27th, 2012, 03:25

Same here, I want them to open the vaults. Donna's voice never deteriorated one bit in her career, which was miraculous because her drug addiction in her prime was well known

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri September 28th, 2012, 02:03

Same here, I want them to open the vaults. Donna's voice never deteriorated one bit in her career, which was miraculous because her drug addiction in her prime was well known

Drug addiction?

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri September 28th, 2012, 02:21

Quote Originally Posted by Dino

Drug addiction?
    She wrote about her cocaine addiction in her autobiography and also on her VH1 Behind The Music during the height of her fame. That was a big part of her turned to religion because it helped her quit. That was also a main reason why she left Casablanca Records because it had way too many bad memories when she was starting over again. Remember that coke was pretty much all over the disco era.

Legend
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri September 28th, 2012, 05:37

Donna should already be in the Hall of Fame. Now they want to give it to her after she passed on. I'm sorry but how on earth did ABBA get in before Donna Summer. I get it that they were bigger outside of US but I thought The Hall of Fame was meant for artist who had impact in America.
    Diva!!!

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue October 16th, 2012, 03:38

Babs is finally doing No More Tears (Enough Is Enough) live after 30+ years of snubbing it. A shame she didn't do it live when Donna was still around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLFV3cerUc4

Legend
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue October 23rd, 2012, 21:26

A song I largely overlooked whilst she was alive - This Time I Know Its For Real - is probably my most played track of hers since she passed.

Its sort of taken on a new meaning, I think its the perfect tempo and song to sum up her music and career.

Legend
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun October 28th, 2012, 15:30

I always love This Time I Know It's For Real. One of the better SAW songs for sure.

Great Babs is singing Enough now again. I must say however that I also really love Donna singing the song with Tina Arena. In fact, I probably love it even more than the version with Babs. (Now, don't go shading on me. )
    My personal chart new female singer... at #1 - Click here

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue December 11th, 2012, 05:07

Hall Of Fame-bound!

A shame they didn't induct her until the year she dies but still recognition is good belated or not

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/donna- ... me_3412925

Donna Summer Heading For The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame

Late disco diva Donna Summer has landed a place in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Due to an administrative error, the I Feel Love singer's induction notice has been released hours before Hall of Fame officials announce the Class of 2013 on Tuesday (11Dec12).

Summer passed away in Florida in May (12) after losing a secret battle with lung cancer.

A statement from the late star's family reads: "We are overjoyed the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame has recognized Donna's tremendous musical achievements. Its an honor we know she quietly hoped for and would very much cherish. We are deeply grateful.

"The family cannot fully express the gratitude they feel for the outpouring of love received over the past few months in support of Donna's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. From fellow recording artists and industry executives to friends and fans from around the world, it will not be forgotten."

Ironically, the news of Summer's induction comes as stars like Kelly Rowland and Ciara prepare to honour the singer and another tragic R&B star, Whitney Houston, at the 2012 Vh1 Divas concert on Sunday (16Dec12).

Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea will officially reveal the Class of 2013 on Tuesday.

The full list of nominees are Rush, Deep Purple, Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Procol Harum, Albert King, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, the Meters, Chic, Randy Newman, the Marvelettes, Kraftwerk, Donna Summer, Public Enemy, and N.W.A.

The Hall of Fame induction ceremony will be held at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles on 18 April (12).

Manager
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon April 15th, 2013, 17:25

Donna has a new budget compilation out:

Love the sleeve design, here’s hoping we get some unreleased material this year …

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu April 18th, 2013, 20:06

Nice cover but blah tracklist... I wish they'd put all those out of print albums back in circulation instead of another umpteenth thousandth GH album with the exact same songs.

Legend
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu April 18th, 2013, 23:37

Nice cover but blah tracklist... I wish they'd put all those out of print albums back in circulation instead of another umpteenth thousandth GH album with the exact same songs.
    Agreed.

Her discography is massive, and so diverse.

Legend
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whitney Houston

Legend
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon January 1st, 2018, 01:52

Quote Originally Posted by Nippian93
    Geez her and Kelly Rowland look just alike.
    Diva!!!

Legend
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon January 8th, 2018, 21:50

I really like this new remix with Jean-Paul Gaultier.

Legend
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu November 22nd, 2018, 21:40

I can't believe she'd be 70 today if she was still alive, what a major loss to the music industry she was.

I've been listening to her loads over the last couple of days, she's such an amazing artist - I was talking to a work colleague about her today, specifically about how many Donna songs she could name (as I'd been blasting her hits on my way into work). And my work colleague named one but I read her the tracklisting of one of Donna's collections, and she probably actually knew a dozen songs or more.

Donna was such a prolific songstress and her voice never really wavered with age.

Manager
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri November 23rd, 2018, 12:19

^ Her birthday is 31st December, so she would have reached 70 on 31.12.18

Legend
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri November 23rd, 2018, 20:49

Such a nice surprise to hear Kylie Minogue sneak in a little Donna Summer during her performance of The Locomotion last night in Amsterdam at her Golden Tour!

Roadie
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun June 9th, 2019, 20:25

I love donna summer. I just found love toward her after I listened to the disco heaven "macarthur park suite" extravaganza, which now I consider the greatest and best dance song of all time ever.
    It became my all time favorite after hearing its brilliance recently. I cant stop dancing to it.

I saw her sing it live in 1977 in italy at her peak on YouTube and want to say it's the best and greatest singing ever. I was so struck. Just a microphone and stage. She does it better than anyone else. She was way underrated because of the disco prejudice. Her talent is incomparable and unparalleled.
    I highly think of her vocal singing over any vocal legends.
    She is missed.
    Last edited by autumnwind; Sun June 9th, 2019 at 20:28.