User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 93

Thread: Mariah Carey & Whitney Houston - When You Believe

  1. #1
    leoapp's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    27 Mar 2008
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    10,586
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 09-08-11, 02:53

    A HUGE collaboration in 1998, between 2 of the best selling female artists of 90s, Mariah Carey & Whitney Houston. One of my fave songs. A combination between Whitney's powerful and strong vocal & Mariah's soft and high pitched vocal. Surprised it didn't become a bigger hi. I though it was a global smash hit! Well, i knew that in 1998, both divas already declined in popularity.



    Music video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKBLK6CcIlU

    After i watched some of the live performances, it's clear that each of them tried to dominate and outsing to each other, and Whitney easily won cos her vocal was soooo powerful and louder, however after the whistle notes part, Mariah won
    For example, their performance at Oscar:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_tI0OEENOs
    A mess

  2. #2
    ForeverYoung's Avatar
    Manager
    Join Date
    06 Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,014
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 09-08-11, 04:13

    This song is neither bad nor good, it's something worse: BLAND AS HELL.

  3. #3
    Pawlu84's Avatar
    Manager
    Join Date
    10 May 2011
    Posts
    3,065
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 09-08-11, 10:57

    I like it, even though "underperformed" it's still quite a popular duet.

  4. #4
    Guest

    by » 09-08-11, 15:57

    I bought the single (for some reason)

    I think it was out of a misguided hope that the single marked the re-establishment or renaissance of Whitney's career.

    How wrong was I!!!

  5. #5
    Legend
    Join Date
    19 Jul 2010
    Location
    Katheryn's Sanctuary
    Posts
    26,427
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 09-08-11, 15:59

    Quote Originally Posted by irishguy28
    I bought the single (for some reason)
    I shoudl buy it too! Maybe in September I could get it.
    P=MC2's Top 20
    Quote Originally Posted by Merci
    Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!

  6. #6
    Guest

    by » 09-08-11, 16:05

    Quote Originally Posted by PosziMC2
    Quote Originally Posted by irishguy28
    I bought the single (for some reason)
    I shoudl buy it too! Maybe in September I could get it.
    Why now? OR rather, why September?

    I meant that I actually bought the CD when it was released. I remember that it came in a cardboard sleeve - which was fairly unusual for UK/Irish CD single releases - and if I remember correctly, there was a fold-up poster for the Prince of Egypt inside. or a fold-up poster of the cover photo of the two ladies. There was some poster in there but I dunno if I ever even looked at it!!!! Can't check now, the single is in an attic 800km away!

    EDIT: looked it up:
    "UK Commercial CD Single #2: "Strictly Limited Edition - Includes a poster of Mariah & Whitney and song lyrics"."

  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    19 Jul 2010
    Location
    Katheryn's Sanctuary
    Posts
    26,427
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 09-08-11, 16:09

    Quote Originally Posted by irishguy28
    Quote Originally Posted by PosziMC2
    Quote Originally Posted by irishguy28
    I bought the single (for some reason)
    I shoudl buy it too! Maybe in September I could get it.
    Why now? OR rather, why September?

    I meant that I actually bought the CD when it was released. I remember that it came in a cardboard sleeve - which was fairly unusual for UK/Irish CD single releases - and if I remember correctly, there was a fold-up poster for the Prince of Egypt inside. or a fold-up poster of the cover photo of the two ladies. There was some poster in there but I dunno if I ever even looked at it!!!! Can't check now, the single is in an attic 800km away!

    EDIT: looked it up:
    "UK Commercial CD Single #2: "Strictly Limited Edition - Includes a poster of Mariah & Whitney and song lyrics"."
    I only can get it in September because we already dont have any plus money for this month but in September I hope my mom buys me for my name day.

    Limited edition That's good
    P=MC2's Top 20
    Quote Originally Posted by Merci
    Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!

  8. #8
    Guest

    by » 09-08-11, 16:13

    Ooh... it's now worth twice what I paid for it!!!

    I really should have a clear out next time I'm home.

  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    19 Jul 2010
    Location
    Katheryn's Sanctuary
    Posts
    26,427
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 09-08-11, 16:14

    Quote Originally Posted by irishguy28
    Ooh... it's now worth twice what I paid for it!!!

    I really should have a clear out next time I'm home.
    And did you love it whhen you first listened to the song or were you disappointed?
    P=MC2's Top 20
    Quote Originally Posted by Merci
    Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!

  10. #10
    Guest

    by » 09-08-11, 16:27

    I liked it at the time - though not inordinately. It was only the 2nd Whitney single I had ever bought!!!!

  11. #11
    leoapp's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    27 Mar 2008
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    10,586
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 09-08-11, 16:27

    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung
    This song is neither bad nor good, it's something worse: BLAND AS HELL.
    How come?

  12. #12
    Guest

    by » 09-08-11, 16:28

    ^ congrats on 5k LeoApp!!!

    But yeah, the song is bland - rather slow and dull, it must be said. When two big names get together, you expect something with a bit more of a bang, but this is more of a whimper.

    Another big name double header that was equally disappointing: Beyoncé and Shakira's dull and meander "Beautiful Liar".

  13. #13
    leoapp's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    27 Mar 2008
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    10,586
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 10-08-11, 02:11

    Quote Originally Posted by irishguy28
    ^ congrats on 5k LeoApp!!!
    Oh, thx just realized

  14. #14
    TheRealest's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    09 Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,979
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 10-08-11, 02:14

    I like this but it could have been soooo much better.

  15. #15
    Legend
    Join Date
    25 Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 10-08-11, 02:20

    If this duet had happened two or three years earlier, I'm pretty sure that it would have been a hell of a lot better. Both ladies had taken somewhat of a musical and vocal downturn by this point in their careers.

  16. #16
    Roadie
    Join Date
    01 Feb 2011
    Posts
    825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 10-08-11, 02:30

    I don't think these ladies have to spread their widest range to make a good song. I think they did right, each on their own. I just found funny how they marketed the song as Whitney ft. Mariah in some parts of the world and Mariah ft. Whitney at others. Like, which one is the main singer? I can only imagine these two arguing over this

  17. #17
    JSparksFan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    24 Jul 2009
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    50,411
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 14-08-11, 06:28

    I absolutely love this song. One of the many classics from the 90's.
    You can search the entire universe and not find a single being more worthy of love than you.

  18. #18
    Legend
    Join Date
    19 Jul 2010
    Location
    Katheryn's Sanctuary
    Posts
    26,427
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 14-08-11, 19:29

    Quote Originally Posted by Scavo
    I can only imagine these two arguing over this
    No they are too classic to do this!
    P=MC2's Top 20
    Quote Originally Posted by Merci
    Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!

  19. #19
    stevyy's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    14 May 2005
    Location
    .dk
    Posts
    53,526
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 18-08-11, 00:14

    perfect song. the music is perfect.. it's the best song babyface ever lay his hands on. i love the video too. both ladies look aboslutely stunning.

  20. #20
    Eamon's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    11 Jun 2009
    Posts
    21,752
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 18-08-11, 00:24

    Quote Originally Posted by stevyy
    perfect song. the music is perfect.. it's the best song babyface ever lay his hands on. i love the video too. both ladies look aboslutely stunning.
    I love it as well. Some people think its poor but while agree that if they had both been in their prime it would have been so much better, I still think its great!! I love the lyrics and the harmonies!!

    Mariah was in an awful state vocally when she was recording this but i'm still happy it happened.

  21. #21
    Wayne's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    07 Sep 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    54,224
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 18-08-11, 00:25

    Both Mariah and Whitney sounded not so good in this. But its still a great song.

  22. #22
    Guest

    by » 18-08-11, 09:37

    They sound fine. It's the song that let them down.

  23. #23
    TheRealest's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    09 Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,979
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 18-08-11, 21:32

    Quote Originally Posted by irishguy28
    They sound fine. It's the song that let them down.

  24. #24
    ForeverYoung's Avatar
    Manager
    Join Date
    06 Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,014
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 19-08-11, 02:03

    Quote Originally Posted by mimifan09
    Quote Originally Posted by stevyy
    perfect song. the music is perfect.. it's the best song babyface ever lay his hands on. i love the video too. both ladies look aboslutely stunning.
    I love it as well. Some people think its poor but while agree that if they had both been in their prime it would have been so much better, I still think its great!! I love the lyrics and the harmonies!!

    Mariah was in an awful state vocally when she was recording this but i'm still happy it happened.
    I don't agree that she was in an awful state vocally. Weaker than a few years prior yes, but still sounded pretty awesome.

    I agree with irishguy, both Mariah and Whitney sound fine, the song was just mediocre/generic.

  25. #25
    Eamon's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    11 Jun 2009
    Posts
    21,752
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    by » 19-08-11, 02:07

    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung
    Quote Originally Posted by mimifan09
    Quote Originally Posted by stevyy
    perfect song. the music is perfect.. it's the best song babyface ever lay his hands on. i love the video too. both ladies look aboslutely stunning.
    I love it as well. Some people think its poor but while agree that if they had both been in their prime it would have been so much better, I still think its great!! I love the lyrics and the harmonies!!

    Mariah was in an awful state vocally when she was recording this but i'm still happy it happened.
    I don't agree that she was in an awful state vocally. Weaker than a few years prior yes, but still sounded pretty awesome.

    I agree with irishguy, both Mariah and Whitney sound fine, the song was just mediocre/generic.
    Mariah said she was having vocal problems around that time and Whitney blamed it on Mariahs time of the month!!

    They do sound fine but she does sound croaky and like she is swallowing her words in places!! But I love the song and never really saw much wrong with either of their voices until I started listening to all their other stuff.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •