User Tag List

Thread: Wilfred [BBC Three]

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Tue August 16th, 2011, 22:36

Has anyone else seen this in the US? It starts on BBC Three tonight and looks pretty good.

Apparently it's a remake of an Australian TV show, it stars Elijah Wood as a guy who sees his neighbour's dog as a man in a dog suit, but everyone else sees it as a dog.

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed August 17th, 2011, 01:53

Sporadically funny. Though i would have thought the original would be funnier - the "dog" here is Australian, too. Why Elijah Wood would waste time on this is baffling.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed August 17th, 2011, 05:02

Elijah really hasn't done that much since the LOTR franchise wrapped so this is actually giving him some much-needed exposure. Plus this is definitely up his alley, even though he's done a lot of mainstream fare, he's always come off far more eccentric and alternative in interviews than Hollywood wanted him to be (remember at first he was groomed to become a Macauley Culkin type child star).

I am loving it on FX, very weird show and hilariously abstract.

Legend
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed August 17th, 2011, 05:04

Never really 'got' this show and was baffled when I found out it was being remade for the US.

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed August 17th, 2011, 12:00

Just watched the first two episodes and really enjoyed it, Elijah Wood does a very good job.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed August 17th, 2011, 19:48

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan
    Just watched the first two episodes and really enjoyed it, Elijah Wood does a very good job.
    It gets better as the season progressed (we're up to episode 7 or 8 in the US). The Wilfred character has become more and more deranged and the situations he and Ryan get into have been funnier and funnier. Last weeks episode had Wilfred being possessed by the spirit of a dog Ryan had as a child.

Personally I don't think doing TV is a bad thing for Elijah. Its been eight years since Return Of The King. His career didn't see the boost that someone like Orlando Bloom got from that franchise. He's always been more into doing quirky cinema since LOTR and doing a TV show where he plays a neurotic 30-something who talks to a man in a dog costume is actually right up his alley. That and the Beastie Boys video have given him attention that he hasn't received in some time. There are bigger names than him doing TV right now, I'm more surprised that Zooey Deschanel and Patrick Wilson have TV shows coming this fall considering they both seem to be having rising film careers.

Legend
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed August 17th, 2011, 23:10

I don't mean him doing TV is "bad" - just that the show seems a bit pointless. I know he does quirky movies - but they usually have more weight than this.

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Fri September 16th, 2011, 22:28

I'm still totally into this show, although I do dislike Wilfred (yes, I dislike a dog). Elijah Wood is great in his role and the character is really endearing, I also love Ryan's sister.

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by Wed October 26th, 2011, 19:54

The season finale was so bloody good. Can't wait to see the second series!