Thread: Florence + The Machine

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 18:54

News on album 2! From Pitchfork:

This November, Florence and the Machine will release the follow-up to their hugely popular (and huge-sounding) debut LP, Lungs. The as-yet-untitled album is out November 7 in the UK via Island, and Universal Republic will release it sometime the same month in the U.S. Listen to the first track released from it-- the festival-ready, gospel-choir-infused "What the Water Gave Me"-- below.

While Lungs featured the input of several different producers and showed off various sonic styles, the new album has the band working solely with studio man Paul Epworth (Adele, Bloc Party), whose work was featured on many of Lungs' best tracks including "Cosmic Love" and "Blinding". Frontwoman Florence Welch promises a more cohesive affair that zeroes-in on the booming mystic-pop that highlighted her debut. Along with "What the Water Gave Me", the new record features live favorite "Strangeness and Charm" (listen to a high-quality live rip of that track here.)

We spoke with Welch last week as she was putting the final touches on the new record, "fiddling with the tiniest bits that only I would probably notice," she said.

"With this record, it's like taking everything from the first album that seemed quite separate and making them whole."

Pitchfork: I thought the best tracks on Lungs were produced by Paul Epworth-- did you feel the same way? Is that why you got him to produce this whole album?

Florence Welch: Yeah, the way that "Cosmic Love" turned out really made me want to do the whole next record with him. That song was written in like half an hour in a tiny bedroom studio and I always had this idea for a really big sound coming from all that clatter, and he managed to capture that on record in the best way.

With Lungs, I hit on the sound I wanted about halfway through making it. There were so many different influences, and the differences between a song like "Kiss With a Fist" and "Dog Days" are huge because I'd written one when I was 17 and one when I was 21. With this record, I've been able to expand on the idea that I was hitting on towards the end of making Lungs. It's like taking everything from the first album that seemed quite separate and making them whole.

Pitchfork: I caught your set at a few festivals over the last couple years, and your music really thrived in that open atmosphere. Do you feel like playing to such big audiences influenced the sound of this new album?

FW: Yeah. I've been thinking about songwriting more in terms of playing it live, and how it will sound as a band. With the first one, I wasn't really thinking about that, so some of the songs were pretty unrecognizable live compared to how they are on record, which isn't a bad thing, either. I don't want to go to a gig and it sounds record-perfect.

Pitchfork: Are there any other songs that you're particularly excited about on the new album at this moment?

FW: I don't want to give too much away yet, but I'm happy with it. It's quite hard for me to say that about something because, as a British person, I'm so self-critical. [laughs] I'm never satisfied with anything.

"The stage is the place I feel comfortable-- it's almost as if real life is where I feel most nervous. Conversations are a lot more nerve-wracking."

Pitchfork: It's funny to hear you hemming and hawing because you seem so uninhibited onstage. Do you get nervous before shows?

FW: The stage is the place I feel comfortable-- it's almost as if real life is where I feel most nervous. Conversations are a lot more nerve-wracking. All the words are already there when you're singing onstage, it's fantastic. You can lose yourself in what you've created. You're controlling this freedom. Whereas in a conversation, the words can get stuck, I don't know what to say, I get very anxious.

Pitchfork: So you're more nervous about this conversation than playing Glastonbury?

FW: Yeah! [laughs] Actually, the last Glastonbury was terrifying. There were just so many people-- you can't quantify that many people in your eyeballs. It was such an intense experience. That Glastonbury was definitely more frightening than this conversation.

Pitchfork: You've done a bunch of collaborations over the last few years with the likes of Dizzee Rascal and the xx. Are there any guests on this new record?

FW: It turned out that I haven't really worked with anyone else on it. In the future, I'd really like to do something with Jamie from the xx. We've done a couple bits here and there together, so maybe that will turn into something.
    Listen to the first track off the upcoming album due 7th November here:

What The Water Gave Me

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 19:01

Yessss!

What The Water Gave Me sounds good so far but a little draggy. I think it will grow on me pretty fast
    Crazy In Love [2003], Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It) [2008], Schoolin' Life [2011]
    Nobody does oh-oh like Beyoncé

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 19:22

UK people can download the track off iTunes here

Also, the album is available to pre-order in both standard and 2 disc deluxe versions on Amazon, Play.com and HMV!

Legend
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 20:38

It's not amongst her best work but I appreciate it's just a buzz track and might not even end up an actual single. She needs to come back with a bang, something like "Dog Days Are Over"!

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 23:16

Love it!!! Glad to have some new Florence

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(?)_/¯

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 23:53

Quote Originally Posted by jamesssxD
    Love it!!! Glad to have some new Florence

Superstar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 24th, 2011, 15:31

I like the new song but it's got nothing on her last singles :-?
    "you act like nothing really happened but it meant the world to me"

Superstar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu August 25th, 2011, 20:25

Does anyone else think that Flo Rida's 2010 hit "Club Can't Handle Me" ripped off Florence's "Falling"?
    Stan of: Devendra Banhart / Taylor Swift / Grimes / Utada Hikaru / Tori Amos
    Follow me on Last.fm?

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri August 26th, 2011, 18:36

Great to have her back Can't wait to hear the album and see her live

Legend
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu October 6th, 2011, 22:30

i'm obsessed with her right now. i think she is the most beautiful woman ever.

shake it out gets a 10/10 from me. she's perfect.

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri October 7th, 2011, 19:34

Quote Originally Posted by stevyy
    i'm obsessed with her right now. i think she is the most beautiful woman ever.

shake it out gets a 10/10 from me. she's perfect.
    totaly agree with everything you said

Superstar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu October 27th, 2011, 05:15

The singer broke up with long-term boyfriend, literary editor Stuart Hammond, earlier this month, and has been getting over it by staying in and ogling the star of hit movie Drive on DVD.

She said: "My friend Hannah and I have become really obsessed with watching Ryan Gosling films.

"We especially watch them on tour, because you don't go out as your friends aren't around. I haven't met him yet but we feel like we have because we've basically got his back catalogue."

Ryan might be in for a shock if he ever made it back to her hotel room, though. The Florence and the Machine frontwoman says bland accommodation bothers her so much that she covers the walls in loads of blankets.

She said: "I get really bummed out in sterile hotel rooms so I always have a lot of shawls and scarves with me. I hang up all of my dresses to cover the walls and ceiling, so everything's always everywhere."

The star was back in her hometown on Tuesday, performing a one-off gig at London's Hackney Empire.

She wowed the crowd with songs from her new album Ceremonials ahead of its release next week.

After the outstanding gig, she celebrated with an aftershow knees-up in a proper East End boozer, forking out on drinks for the whole pub.
    I love this woman so much it hurts.
    Stan of: Devendra Banhart / Taylor Swift / Grimes / Utada Hikaru / Tori Amos
    Follow me on Last.fm?

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 2nd, 2012, 13:23

She won 2 main awards at NME Awards 2012 last night!

Best Solo Act - Florence and the Machine

Best Track - Florence and the Machine for Shake It Out

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri March 2nd, 2012, 16:26

I really hope she/they take on another direction for the next album. I felt that Ceremonials was nothing but a continuation of Lungs, a less captivating continuation.
    Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
    and you are no exception

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu June 28th, 2012, 19:38

Florence + The Machine's Florence Welch has revealed that she has been working on a new dance music side project.

The singer, who is currently touring in support of her band's second album 'Ceremonials', has said that she has recorded a "weird house track" and that her new extracurricular activity is currently simply called Side Project.

Speaking to Digital Spy, Welch said of her new project: "We actually have a dance outfit side project called Side Project. We made this weird house track that sounded quite churchy – to be confirmed! As yet it has never seen the light of day."

Welch also spoke about her admiration for Calvin Harris, who recently remixed her latest single 'Spectrum', saying that the Scottish producer had managed to perfect "the blend of euphoric and melancholic".

Speaking about this, she said: "I'm such a huge fan of his. What I enjoy about Calvin's songs is that he has that blend of euphoric and melancholic which as an artist he has managed to perfect. It's that mix of catchy and sad – that feeling of complete joy but something tugging at your insides. That's what makes a great pop song and I really think he's coined that."
    oooooo

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri June 29th, 2012, 02:16

Saw her Hackney Weekend Set on Tv the other day, Great set although very short and astounding vocals

Legend
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat July 14th, 2012, 00:12

lord, there is a survivor and no one participates..

https://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91831

click and vote asap.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat August 25th, 2012, 05:25

this picture is all sorts of epic!
    I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(?)_/¯

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat August 25th, 2012, 17:58

yeah she looks flawless! I'd love to see Florence in some bad bitch movie role.

Legend
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun August 26th, 2012, 00:56

Never Let Me Go is one of the most beatiful songs I've heard. So haunting. My friend loves this song so much she can't listen to it anymore because she wants it played at her funeral.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed July 17th, 2013, 18:52

"OVER THE LOVE" is a fantastic song! One of the best of 2013... I wish they release (and promote it). I guess it won't happen. :(

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri July 19th, 2013, 23:18

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon
    Never Let Me Go is one of the most beatiful songs I've heard. So haunting. My friend loves this song so much she can't listen to it anymore because she wants it played at her funeral.
    I love this song too. Both her albums are amazing!

Manager
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun July 21st, 2013, 15:58

Florences Music is giving me feelings I've never felt before... that's almost scary