Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Madonna - Bedtime Story

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 02-09-11, 16:10

Bedtime Story was the 3rd single from Madonna's 6th studio album "Bedtime Stories"...a great song, completly different from the rest of the album (a GREAT album...and terribly underrated IMO!).

The song is one of the best Madonna songs ever for me, it was written by Bjork and the video is also one of my favourites!

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSaFgAwnRSc&ob=av2e

Discuss! Anyone else loves this too?

If you've never heard this...i advice you to see the video and you might appreciate both the song and the video! It still sounds fresh in 2011 IMO [/url]
    "Your actions speak louder than promises/You're inclined to make and inclined to break"

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 03-09-11, 00:23

God my topics on this retro section are always huge flops for some reason! LOOOL

I write so enthusiastically and no one cares! xD hahaha
    "Your actions speak louder than promises/You're inclined to make and inclined to break"

Legend
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 03-09-11, 22:23

One of her weaker singles IMO, but coupled with one of her best videos. I think the direction of song, video and 10 foot extensions for the Brits confused a lot of people, and I'm not impressed she's never played the Brits since!

However, the UK CD single book package is brilliant, but in the US, after the success of TAB this was a strange follow up. Personally I think th album has stronger songs, and that the album as a whow was her first real work of art musically speaking.
    NO MEN IN ME.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 04-09-11, 14:43

It might be a weird single choice, but I love both the song and the video. I'm kind of hoping she'll go back to more interesting music/videos with this next album!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 15-09-11, 08:51

I love the song and the video but I have to agree it wasn't the best choice for the single as it's not very radio-friendly. It would be great if she did live performance of "Bedtime Story" on one of her next tours

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 18-02-12, 22:11

My fave Madonna video!!

A standout track from Bedtime Story.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 19-02-12, 04:07

Quote Originally Posted by thebigham
    My fave Madonna video!!

A standout track from Bedtime Story.
    Finally some love for this song here!

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 19-02-12, 17:43

Brilliant Bjork/ Nellee Hooper track. Shame they went with a bland remix to promote it here. But that nutty video warped some young minds!

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 19-02-12, 17:50

L.U.V. it (although why she released it is beyond me). Absolutely great song and video. And probably a preview of what was about to come with her next album ("Ray Of Light")

TRIVIA: This was the first Madonna single after 33 consecutive singles spanning a period of 12 years which failed to crack the Billboard Top 40. Strangely, it was the follow-up to her biggest Billboard hit ever (Take A Bow). Even more weirdly, "Bedtime Story" was the highest peaking UK single from the "Bedtime Stories" album (#4 although it dropped like a rock), bringing her back in the Top 10 after "Take A Bow" stopped a series of 35 consecutive UK Top 10 hits spanning a period of 11 years

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 19-02-12, 17:55

The song is perfection!
    And she made the best thing releasing as single: who cares if was not a success!!

And the video is just brilliant,insane.
    There's only one Queen
    and that's MADONNA.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 20-02-12, 22:21

Quote Originally Posted by denise
    The song is perfection!
    And she made the best thing releasing as single: who cares if was not a success!!

And the video is just brilliant,insane.
    Exactly what i think

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 21-02-12, 08:40

this is how Madonna should sound like!!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 21-02-12, 21:03

Ummm...

After the success of Secret and Take A Bow, I think this was a baaaaaaaad choice for a single.

But the video...

That's one of the trippiest videos I have ever seen in my entire life. Like...my mind can't even...I mean like whoa...

Still...they should've went for Forbidden Love, Love Tried To Welcome Me, I'd Rather Be Your Lover or Sanctuary.

I love this entire album though.

I was pulling an all-nighter last night so I could study for a test and I was spinning this album like crazy.
    I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
    --Katy Perry

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 21-02-12, 21:07

I like that she had the balls to release it as a single since it was a very gutsy move to follow a song as massive as Take A Bow was in the US with this, but in hindsight, she probably should've released Human Nature right after Take A Bow and then Bedtime Story as the final single. HN didn't do better in the US because I think Bedtime Story killed the album to radio. Had she dropped HN in March 95, I think she could've notched herself another top 10 hit, and then release BS in June or so.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 22-02-12, 23:08

No. Even though Bedtime Story killed the album on US radio but Human Nature didn't do good in the US primarily because of it's content.

She had just vindicated herself with Secret and especially Take A Bow.

No one wanted to really hear what Madonna had to say about her Erotica/Sex eras...at least...not yet.

If anything, Human Nature should've been the last single.

But to be honest, I think the biggest flaw in Bedtime Stories was that there was no uptempo.

I mean, if she wanted to stay within the contemporary R&B spectrum she should've had something like Bobby Brown's Humpin' Around, Janet Jackson's If, or Mariah Carey's I've Been Thinking About You...

That way she could've secured herself another hit easily...before being "ballsy" and releasing something as foreign as Bedtime Story.

In America, the only time that Bedtime Story could've been a hit was in 2010. Maybe 2011.
    I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
    --Katy Perry

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 22-02-12, 23:22

Human Nature actually got heavy MTV airplay, much more than Bedtime Story, which got a lot of play for about two weeks did. I think BS left a bad taste in radio programmers' mouths and that kept the song from charting higher. The video was very popular and played for most of the summer of 1995, and even though it peaked at #46, HN did spend more time on the chart as a whole than BS did.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 23-02-12, 03:20

Still...that's MTV.

That's like judging the radio/chart hit potential of a song based off of Youtube view counts.
    --Katy Perry

Superstar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 23-02-12, 03:27

But it's true. Even tho Human Nature peaked at #46, it peaked higher in the Singles Hot 100 sales and it spend over 10 weeks in the chart. It did stay for a while.
    B**** come here! B**** come here! B**** come here!

Im staying right here.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 23-02-12, 03:52

But if it was THAT good, why did it peak outside of the Top 40?

If it was THAT big, why did it peak outside of the Top 40?

Sales alone can get you into the Top 20. If the single is absolutely massive, sales can get you into the Top 10.

If it was that good, it shouldn't of mattered if it came after Bedtime Story...

She just needed something that was stronger and faster on the album.

Maybe then, people would've perked up and gotten the album.

I guarantee you this...her fanbase would've grown if Bedtime Stories had been pushed properly.

She probably wouldn't even be in position she is now when it comes getting widespread success and respect in her own homeland.
    --Katy Perry

Legend
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by 08-03-12, 18:24

My favourite Madonna song.
    My favourite Madonna video.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 08-03-12, 19:55

Quote Originally Posted by jio
    Absolutely great song and video. And probably a preview of what was about to come with her next album ("Ray Of Light")
    It indeed foreshadowed her move towards electronic music.

I adore the video's surrealistic imagery (Frida Kahlo?). It looks expensive and probably is the most artistic music video Madonna ever had.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 22-03-12, 06:19

I think it didn't do well because when BS debuted on BB's Hot 100, TAB was still doing great and BS got repeatedly pushed back because of TAB's success(BS's debut on hot100 singles #74, hot100 airplay: #68 and top40 mainstream:#38; while at the same time TAB was #6 on the hot100, #2 on hot100 airplay, #15 on singles sales, #7 on top 40 mainstream, #15 on Rhythm/C.O. and #2 on adult compempo. It was also charting on hotR&B singles and on R&B singles sales)
    The next week, when BS got its peak, both hot100 airplay and top40 airplay didn't make it to the charts, so that meant radio only wanted to play one Madonna song and that was still TAB. That week it only charted just one week on top40 Rhytm/C.O. and then disappeared too. BS's peak was mainly because of sales.

I loved the single and i remember that a friend invited me to go over to a Madonna video premiere on his dorm with his girlfriend and his friends and we saw all her MTV special pajama party and then the music video on a huge screen and it was very cool and sort of an event.
    I wasn't a fan of TAB and liked BS and what do you know TAB became her biggest hit and BS, well, not!.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 04-04-12, 21:55

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits
    My favourite Madonna song.
    My favourite Madonna video.
    +1
    "you act like nothing really happened but it meant the world to me"

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 04-04-12, 21:57

At the time, it was disappointing (but understandable) that it broke her streak of top 40 hits. But I got over it. I'm glad she released it and did the video she did.
    The most celebrated and important female artist of the last half-century-plus-who else but the one and only Madonna.

Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by 20-08-12, 03:18

This song and video are art. Pure art.
    God Bless You... Akipaul> My Week Chart Potterhead.