Thread: Urban/R&B Discussion

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Fri January 20th, 2012, 01:13

Quote Originally Posted by Wmosi
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung
    Quote Originally Posted by Wmosi
    ^^Thanks for reminding me about Solange, Hugo!

And yeah, i agree. I expect nothing short of perfection from her. I was JUST listening to Cosmic Journey a few minutes ago, too.
    Oh, yeah Solange definitely! She said the new album will be very old-school Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Can't wait.
    Yeah, i remember she tweeted that she was gonna go the "Janet" route this time around. I'm excited to hear what she comes up with!
    WHAT?!?!

Interesting.
    I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
    --Katy Perry

Legend
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

by » Fri January 20th, 2012, 01:20

Yeah she described her album as a "‘80s R&B meets new wave dance-rock" album a while back!

Some new British female R&B singers on the scene...

Natalie Duncan - Devil In Me (Universal)

Tanya Lacey - Letter To My Ex (Sony BMG)

It always irritates me that there are so many talented British black female artists in the UK and whilst they do seem to get signed by major labels, they seem to fail because the labels don't know how to handle their careers. Always not promoting them enough, or promoting them in the wrong avenues.

Legend
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

by » Fri January 20th, 2012, 14:17

http://www.rap-up.com/2012/01/17/rap-up ... h-in-2012/

Rap-Up’s 10 Artists to Watch in 2012

The first month of the new year is a time to start fresh. From wardrobe to music, it’s out with the old, in with the new. Of course there’s room on iPods and car stereos for veteran MCs to mingle with newbie soul singers, but there’s a certain thrill when a good ear catches the sound of an undeniable new talent. Hip-hop and R&B has birthed some mesmerizing artists in the past, and this year will continue the tradition, adding a slew of groundbreaking entertainers.

Rap-Up.com has an eye on 10 buzzworthy crooners and rhymers, who earned a spot on our list of Artists to Watch. There’s a stellar songwriter who’s written for Trey Songz and worked his way into the spotlight, a singing Brit with a penchant for headdresses, a Harlem rap star rocking Margiela threads, and two unsigned femcees who can go bar for bar with the boys.

Delve into the next wave of trendsetters.

by » Wed January 25th, 2012, 18:42

http://www.thisisrnb.com/2012/01/thisis ... ear-of-rb/

Quote Originally Posted by This Is RnB
    THISISRNB PRESENTS: 2012 “THE YEAR OF R&B”
    Posted on January 3rd, 2012 by ThisisRnB in NEWS |

Last year (wow it feels weird saying that now) was an exciting … and interesting time for R&B. We had some of the most progressive releases and new artists in so long, but we also had some Great soul albums. The discussion of what is and what isn’t R&B, and what is allowed to be labeled such lasted the entire year; and might continue on thru 2012. However, the next 12 months are looking to be swamped with brand new albums from many of your favorite R&B stars, and a slew of anticipated burgeoning artists debuts.

We have compiled a list in poll form of many of these artists and their upcoming albums. Take a look after the break and let us know what YOU are excited to hear!! You may vote for as many as you like.

Who's Album Are You Excited For In 2012??
    - Alicia Keys
    - Ashanti
    - Bobby V - V5
    - Brandy
    - Chris Brown - Fortune
    - Ciara
    - D' Angelo
    - Dondria
    - Eric Benet
    - Estelle - All of Me
    - Frank Ocean
    - John Legend
    - K. Michelle
    - Keri Hilson
    - Keyshia Cole - Woman to Woman
    - Mariah Carey
    - Mario
    - Maxwell - blackSUMMERS'night
    - Melanie Fiona - The MF Life
    - Miguel
    - Monica - New Life
    - Ne-Yo
    - R. Kelly - Black Panties
    - SWV
    - Tank - Savior
    - Teairra Mari
    - Teedra Moses
    - The-Dream
    - The Weeknd
    - Trey Songz - Chapter V
    - Usher
    - Other

Who's Debut Album Are You Excited For In 2012??
    - Bei Maejor
    - Bridget Kelly
    - CJ Hilton
    - Elle Varner
    - Hamilton Park
    - Jhene Aiko
    - Luke James
    - Mateo
    - Other
    Go to the link to see the poll results!

Legend
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

by » Thu January 26th, 2012, 03:31

Quote Originally Posted by Born_To_Do_It
    2012 “THE YEAR OF R&B”
    AMEN.

Legend
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

by » Wed February 1st, 2012, 14:33

http://www.rap-up.com/2012/01/31/10-mos ... s-of-2012/

In 2011, music fans witnessed the reign of Nicki Minaj, the rule of hip-hop kings Jay-Z and Kanye West, and the rise of rap’s wildest crew, Odd Future. With 11 months to go in the new year, Rap-Up.com shines a spotlight on this year’s most anticipated hip-hop and R&B releases.

Chris Brown is ready to reignite the clubs with Fortune, T.I. is cooking up more Trouble on his first album since prison, Nicki Minaj is unleashing her feisty alter ego Roman Zolanski on her sophomore set, and Kanye West has everyone on the edge of their seat waiting for the G.O.O.D. Music album.

From the return of veterans Nas, 50 Cent, and Missy Elliott to the great expectations of freshman Frank Ocean, here are 10 albums that are bound to make noise this year.

- Chris Brown – Fortune
    - T.I. – Trouble Man
    - Missy Elliott – Block Party
    - G.O.O.D. Music – TBD
    - Nicki Minaj – Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded
    - Frank Ocean – TBD
    - 50 Cent – TBD
    - Nas – TBD
    - Brandy – TBD
    - Rick Ross – God Forgives, I Don’t

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Wed February 1st, 2012, 16:12

Nicki Minaj, Azealia Banks, Iggy Azalea = Female Rap Royalty 2012

Legend
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

by » Wed February 1st, 2012, 16:42

G.O.O.D Music and Frank Ocean's albums are my most anticipated. I really can't wait!!!
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Wed February 1st, 2012, 17:15

I'm excited for so many albums this year. It's going to be a good year

Superstar
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

by » Wed February 1st, 2012, 22:52

OMG LeToya is also releasing a new album in 2012!
    Haven't been early since '88

Legend
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

by » Tue March 20th, 2012, 10:32

OK guys I just found something interesting to read (and discuss) for my fellow R&B listeners.

http://www.singersroom.com/news/8163/Th ... z1pasvr4oT

Noted producer and recording artist The Dream has never been one to shy away from being bluntly honest but, was his statement that black singers can't sing "soul anymore" accurate?

Speaking with The Guardian over the weekend, The Dream questioned the admiration Adele ("21") receives for singing soul versus Beyonce ("4").

"It's called rhythm and blues; they just took the blues out of it for so long. What's crazy is that blacks can't do soul records any more. We love Adele singing it, but Beyoncé singing it? No," says The Dream.

So what works for "blacks"? According to The Dream, a club hit.

"No, the tempo's too slow, gimme the club hit. Now the blacks in America are responsible for the pop records, and everybody else is singing soulful records," says The Dream. "It's weird to me. We're pigeonholed over there."

So is that really where music stands, at least in the U.S.?

In related news, The Dream is logging studio time with Rita Ora, Bridget Kelly and X Factor's Tulisa Contostavlos following songs like "1+1, Beyonce" and "Roc, Love IV"

Read more: http://www.singersroom.com/news/8163/Th ... z1peDia0yI
    Discuss...

by » Tue March 20th, 2012, 15:52

Quote Originally Posted by abi
    Discuss...
    Wow, that was an interesting read and it's definitely something I agree with to an extent, I find that Adele's voice is unique and looked at in such superiority within the U.S while many soulful R&B voices are almost dismissed as old news (something from the '90s or early '00s) or really just overlooked, Beyonce's '4' can be a great example, besides the lead single I think the record truly represents this modern Motown of superb soulful music but it sells far less than Adele, solely because of her uniqueness not being a major selling point.

I think artists like Beyonce, like John Legend don't get the credit deserved in comparison to Adele. Maybe Adele is more relatable in not living to the slim, African-American conventions of contemporary soul singers, even in comparison to the mainstream average, slim Caucasian pop singers. I think there's a reason Nicki, Wayne and Drake are shipping so many albums and "artists" like Flo Rida are topping singles charts because this is what is expected of contemporary black artists, unfortunately :-?.

by » Fri March 23rd, 2012, 02:21

I get what he is saying.

People were getting it wrong as if he was saying Beyonce can't sing soul, or that Adele is better, when thats not what he was saying at all. He was talking about peoples expectaions (by music execs, radio, general music listeners) rather then technical singing ability. For the record I dont really listen to either...

http://www.singersroom.com/news/8171...Out-of-Context
    The Dream Responds: 'Blacks Can't Do Soul' Taken Out of Context
    Date: 3/20/2012 8:56:50 AM | Njai Joszor

For "the Special People," The Dream has cleared up what has become one of his most controversial statements to date -- "Blacks can't do soul records anymore."

"For the Special People "Yes, we can do Soul records!" The context is that we can't do them and they be appreciated like they should!," The Dream said via Twitter late Monday.

Following his statement that "blacks can't do soul anymore," which was said in an interview with UK's The Guardian, music listeners either agreed with or criticized The Dream Monday. Some said he was right in saying Adele is praised for singing more soulful records while Beyonce is not. Others questioned his authority in making such a statement, considering the music he produces for 'Black' acts he says require a 'club' hit.

According to Terius Nash, aka The Dream, his argument boils down to appreciation. If music from Maxwell ("Pretty Wings," "Bad Habit"), who he used as an example, was more appreciated, labels and other "powers that be" would accept and possibly push for more soulful music instead of that club record.

"When I was young I knew who Sam,Otis,Teddy...was, they were Gods in my home. Love,relationships real life sh*t! I can go on and on. All im Saying is when someone takes what we once did best and was widely excepted we act like its knew..... Labels tell artist all day "that's too Slow for Pop Radio" and what happens somebody other than us does it and its okay," says The Dream. "Do yall get it now ? Our albums are full of Dance and.....Someone else is doing the real heart sh*t. Maxwell does not get the credit he deserves because we don't give him the credit he deserves...US!"

While The Dream has valid points, what about his music? Why is he producing songs some would say contribute to the problem? According to The Dream, he has no choice...

"I've took records of my own off of my albums because of a genuine feeling of "that's not what we do anymore" not because I want to but....Because its the truth and I feel horrible about it. It sucks. I wish I had that type of a voice. I really do. I would show you,' says The Dream. "My ability is limited in that space but that doesn't mean that I don't know what it sounds like. I Wish I was Sam Cooke for a Day. I Wish!"

So what do we get from all of this? Heartfelt, soulful music is being pushed aside for "numbers."

"We Gave up the Power of a Beautiful heartfelt voice for numbers of albums Sold," says The Dream. "So in order for certain artist to come out we do what is necessary instead of what we love. Fear of not having a number 1, not selling 500,000, not getting all the adds are the twisted reality of this business. But that FEAR is what actually hurts music the most. All we care about is first week! Not the vision. Not the people you touch one by one. What's so Dope about that? Just make it Great! If the label let's you..."

Now that we're clear on what The Dream said, what do you think? Is he right?
    BUT I kinda agree. If you look at R&B/Soul artists the only ones who have had mainstream success in recent times are the ones who have made pop/current music, eg. Beyonce , Usher (OMG, DJ) etc. and its thoese songs that have carried thier mainstream success even though they may have released some R&B aswel. Hence why R&B artists are going for club bangers or pop music to stay mainstream rather than making more traditional R&B music. Rap music is associated with club music, so thats why rappers are doing better than R&B musicians.

Those that stay true to thier roots either dont sell well, or have moderate success with thier niche fanbase. Gold has become the new platinum for R&B artists and even then not that many are even getting that.

People like the Maxwell's etc dont get the recognition they deserve and I get so frustrated. Obviously among R&B listeners they do, but not by mainstream audience or internationally. I'm a fan of the likes of Craig David, J. Holiday, Trey Songz, Chris Brown, Bobby V, Mario, Lloyd, Miguel, Tank, Joe etc. CB has always been a Pop/R&B artist and TS has become exception (selling sex), but the rest did not reach gold on thier last albums. As long R&B artists make good music I'm happy to the extent of enjoying the music, but I feel sad/angry that they doing get the recognition they deserve. I dont know what the future of R&B is...

Going back to Beyonce, her recent album was going back to her roots and its fair to say, commercially (mainstream), it is her worst selling album and her worst era of charting singles [no #1's, no US top 10's and only 1 UK Top 10 (main charts)]. It does not look good for R&B if even Beyonce cant bring R&B back into prominance.

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

by » Fri March 23rd, 2012, 02:31

Quote Originally Posted by Loveguru
    No excited at all about this year

RNB stars are just bleh atm

Legend
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

by » Fri March 23rd, 2012, 06:45

"Well, I sort of understand what The Dream was saying but IMO Adele's success has nothing to do with her Soul/R&B sound. It's just that she makes songs which everybody can easily sing along with, and it's catchy, same with Bruno Mars's. If songs like "Rumour Has It" or "Turning Tables" had been released as the first two singles, I doubt they would've been as big as "Someone Like You" / "Rolling In The Deep".

Oh and she makes songs that everyone can relate to. You know, everytime "Someone Like You" comes out, there will be always these broken-hearted girls quickly yell "Oh My GOD that's my sooooong!".

"Rolling In The Deep" was the perfect choice as the first single and it made many people interested in what will Adele release next, that's why the album is still selling like a hot cake and the follow-up singles are doing really well: that's because of "Rolling In The Deep".

Legend
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

by » Sun March 25th, 2012, 15:34

Adele and Bruno Mars are successful because this is their moment to shine, they are the biggest breakthrough artists at the moment and they come out with music that connects to people.

Artists like Beyoncé, Gaga, Kelly Clarkson and Christina Aguilera can do soul records based on their vocals but obviously, it won't give them Adele numbers because they are associated to a certain sound/genre that they are well-known for.

by » Mon March 26th, 2012, 00:00

I'm tired of R&B artist doing dance tracks. Usher and Chris Brown sold out with this dance craze.

I only like 5 Adele tracks and the rest of that album is blah. Jill Scott, Erykah Badu and have been singing songs like Adele's for years. I think people are impressed with her because she's English and sings like someone black.
    Favorite new shows this fall season '06

1. Heroes
    2. Ugly Betty
    3. Six Degrees

Superstar
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

by » Mon March 26th, 2012, 11:55

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBadBoi
    I'm tired of R&B artist doing dance tracks. Usher and Chris Brown sold out with this dance craze.

I only like 5 Adele tracks and the rest of that album is blah.
    I agree
    Haven't been early since '88

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Mon March 26th, 2012, 16:35

As for this race/music related issue...I think Eminem summed it up in his song "White America."

Let's do the math,
    If I was black, I would've sold half
    I ain't have to graduate from Lincoln High school to know that
    So...I mean...

I like 21 but the reason why she's become so successful off of the back of depressing soul music is because of the color of her skin and her nationality.
    I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
    --Katy Perry

Legend
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

by » Sat July 14th, 2012, 16:48

Anyway I thought I'd just share it here...

Billboard wrote:

Chris Brown, Usher: Too Pop to Stay On Top?
    by Gail Mitchell, L.A. | July 13, 2012 2:50 EDT

When Chris Brown claimed his second No. 1 debut on the Billboard 200 this week, he also logged an unexpected accomplishment. The singer/songwriter became the second R&B hitmaker in a month to bow at No. 1 with a comparably soft launch.

Brown's fifth studio album, "Fortune," sold 135,000 first-week copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan. That sum is half of the 270,000 units that launched "F.A.M.E.," the artist's 2011 album, atop the Billboard 200 - and gave Brown his first No. 1 debut. Four weeks ago, RCA labelmate Usher came in at No. 1 with 128,000 for his latest, "Looking 4 Myself." That figure marked a significant 61% slide from the 329,000 first-week sales for his last full-length album, 2010's No. 1-debuting "Raymond v Raymond."

While overall album sales are down 3.2% from last year, bright spots have still dotted the landscape. Nicki Minaj's sophomore set, "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded," and Carrie Underwood's "Blown Away" bowed with a healthy 253,000 and 267,000, respectively. And more recently, Justin Bieber's "Believe" served up 374,000 in sales for a No. 1 debut on the Billboard 200.

However, given the hit-churning stature of Usher and Brown and their highly anticipated sets -- two summer flagship releases under the newly restructured RCA Music Group -- their resulting opening sales frames raise a few questions. Are Usher and Brown, with their pop- and dance-leaning album tracks, alienating their core audiences? Are segmented singles targeting multiple formats fostering confusion instead of album sales? Or is this just another sign of the times in a singles-dominant, consolidating industry? While RCA executives couldn't be reached for comment, several executives from radio and retail did weigh in on the matter.

Derrick "DC" Corbett, director of urban operations for Clear Channel's New Orleans cluster of stations that includes R&B/hip-hop WQUE, suggests that the Usher and Brown albums may not provide enough material for their core R&B fans. Brown performed "Turn Up the Music" and "Don't Wake Me Up" at the recent BET Awards - two songs that aren't being played on R&B/hip-hop radio. Of the five songs released prior to "Fortune's" debut, only "Strip" became a hit, reaching No. 3 on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. "Sweet Love" topped out at No. 27 while "Till I Die" rises 37-27 this week.

While Usher's "Climax" spent 11 weeks atop Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, it peaked at No. 36 after only three weeks on the Mainstream Top 40 chart. Conversely, his pop-focused "Scream" isn't being heard on R&B/hip-hop radio even as it reached the top 10 on Mainstream Top 40. Another album track, "Lemme See" with Rick Ross, rises 5-3 on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs.

"There's nothing wrong with growing creatively or crossing over," Corbett says. "But you also have to superserve your audience. The same audience that built you is the one you have to stay consistent with. You can get away with a 'Yeah 3X' and a 'DJ Got Us Fallin' in Love,' but that can't be the crux of your album. You can't leave your core shaking their heads."

Indeed, last time out, Brown's "F.A.M.E." catapulted him back into the limelight - and a first-time Grammy Award - thanks to a solid foundation of R&B hits that included "Deuces," "Look at Me Now" and "B.S." Likewise, Usher's last album was propelled by such R&B-focused hits as "Papers" and "Hey Daddy (Daddy's Home)" before he dropped the full-throttle pop/dance track "OMG," a hit on both the Mainstream Top 40 and Mainstream R&B/Hip-Hop airplay charts.

Acknowledging that first-week physical sales for both artists' new albums fell well below projections, an urban buyer for a major chain notes that the gap between releasing singles and the album's arrival may have played a harmful role. "Labels want that traction at radio. But sometimes it's too long in between or an album is pushed back, then labels miss the key time to release the album. But scanning 100,000 first-week nowadays is still good."

Dedry Jones, of Chicago's Music Experience store, says, "If you're releasing singles so far in advance of the album and people are buying all of those on iTunes, what's the reason to buy the albums?"

Others contend that first-week sales aside, Usher's and Brown's standing as key R&B format artists remains strong. "Both of these artists are part of my core rotation," Perry Broadcasting VP of radio programming Terry Monday says. "It's still early, and honestly nothing to be alarmed about. The industry is changing. Album sales overall aren't going to be the huge numbers they used to be."

Neke Howse, PD of WKYS Washington, D.C., agrees. "Between the economy and this changing industry, it's a sign of the times," she says. "But both of these artists will be fine, and their albums will do OK."

Legend
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

by » Sat July 14th, 2012, 17:13

Usher did "Climax", a great R&B masterpiece which serves his core audience, but he still flopped. Chris Brown, on the other hand, has no huge hit for his urban fans to back up his album. Not to mention, his image is down the drain and the critics are ripping him to shreds.

I think the problem is that they're not as interesting as their previous eras. No matter what kind of genre you put out, if people will want to purchase your music, they will do it.

by » Sat July 14th, 2012, 19:07

I definitely think they have both lost alot of credibility in America, because of dance/pop singles!

Sales are not down like 60%, since Usher released Raymond VS. Raymond.....

Legend
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)

by » Sat July 14th, 2012, 19:19

OK looking 4 myself does have a few dance-pop/R&B crossover songs but the album is also full pf genuine R&B music. That is why i don't understand his huge downfall in the US. + he's hot..

maybe people are generally bored of the same old artists dominating the scene.. that's why they turn to younger, newer acts..

and let's be honest, except for adele, no slightly soul or R&B touched album has done healthy numbers this year.

by » Sat July 14th, 2012, 20:00

I think when usher did all of those dance pop features it turned oft his urban core fan base plus scream made it no better! But at the same time usher did no promo his first week of his release! No view, no gma, no Ellen... Nothing!!! His first week was based off name alone. I really think usher and Chris as well could have longevity if they perform at all of the award shows like they usually do and if they release new singles in time for the holiday season! Usher sales are somewhat stable now. It's not to late for either artist just have a new game plan and attack! First week means nothing to me as Katy Perry and Rihanna never have huge first week sales but have awesome longevity!!!! Sorry if my post was to long!

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Sat July 14th, 2012, 20:18

Interesting topic here's my opinion, I miss the good old days of R&B from the 90's up on till the early to mid 00's, when R&B artists were doing proper urban songs and weren't jumping on dance or pop tracks to get mainstream hits on pop charts like most are doing now because R&B use to dominate at one point and there were great R&B music around back then.

Sadly now the term R&B song is being used loosely because the majority of songs now considered R&B are not actually proper R&B songs, due to R&B acts switching genres and not bringing out quality R&B music like they use to.

I use Usher as an example, I don't mind some of his current dance songs but Usher when he did R&B with 8701 & Confession era, he was at his best, same could be said for Chris Brown, He was great when he made Exclusive, it was good R&B but with crossover appeal and he wasn't doing Dance music minus Forever but even that was still a good pop song, I'm still fans of both but I don't think musically their as good as they once used to be.

I think the quality of Urban music over the years has gone down hill, I would say the Likes of Alicia Keys is one of the few R&B Soul singers, who is still making good music with out changing her style too much but more R&B singers need to go back to how they started, which is their roots, to bring R&B back and in a big way, Beyonce did R&B with 4 but because many are use to her Pop stuff now, 4 didn't get that much support compared to her previous album before that.

You don't really see Pop artist or even Rock artists, abandoning there genre, I couldn't imagine Katy Perry on a Hip Hop or R&B song and she would probably get slated if she were to. There is nothing wrong with experimenting with your sound but they should remember how they started out and try to satisfied their R&B fans who supported them at the beginning of their careers, grow your audience but at the same time, try to keep the ones who liked your original sound and don't be scared of doing real R&B again.