Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bowie

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Fri March 9th, 2012, 00:01

Quote Originally Posted by crazycrazy
    Oh sorry you are right! LOL at that track! Well it doesn't matter, anyone who likes David is ok in my book.
    OT I'm not that old you know Judging by the Pictures Thread we are in the same league.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Fri March 9th, 2012, 00:02

Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    Buddha Of Suburbia is quite underrated, it didn't even get a US release until after Outside came out.
    What are your favourite singles / albums by Bowie? Have you seen him live?

by » Fri March 9th, 2012, 00:22

Quote Originally Posted by JustForMe
    Buddha Of Suburbia is quite underrated, it didn't even get a US release until after Outside came out.
    No, and I still am mad at myself for not finding out he was playing Indianapolis (about 2 hrs from me) in 2004 until it'd already sold out because it turned out to be my last and only chance to see him live.

Station To Station, Scary Monsters, The Man Who Sold The World and Low are among my fave albums of his.

Waaaaaaay too many favorite songs of his to list.

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by » Fri March 9th, 2012, 00:29

No, and I still am mad at myself for not finding out he was playing Indianapolis (about 2 hrs from me) in 2004 until it'd already sold out because it turned out to be my last and only chance to see him live.

Station To Station, Scary Monsters, The Man Who Sold The World and Low are among my fave albums of his.

Waaaaaaay too many favorite songs of his to list.
    STS & SM are great, haven't given the other 2 a proper listen yet apart from some of the great tracks on both!! My favourite songs from him are getting bigger and bigger, it's funny my little underdeveloped list I sent for his countdown would look radically different now. Awww sad to hear you missed seeing him live. :(
    My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Fri March 9th, 2012, 00:34

Awww sad to hear you missed seeing him live. :(
    It's considering David doesn't go on tours anymore. :(

by » Fri March 9th, 2012, 01:42

and watching the Reality Tour DVD, I know I would've been in for a hell of a show. For a "final tour", he sure did go out with a fantastic setlist that covered all aspects of his career. One thing I always respected about Bowie's tours, unlike say The Rolling Stones (who play the same 15 songs every tour and maybe add one or two new tracks and maybe one or two random older songs) is that outside of the 1990 tour (intended as a Greatest Hits tour), he always played only "some" hits instead of all of them, and was never afraid to dig through his catalog and play random tracks off Lodger to an unsuspecting audience expecting to hear China Girl.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Fri March 9th, 2012, 02:04

and watching the Reality Tour DVD, I know I would've been in for a hell of a show. For a "final tour", he sure did go out with a fantastic setlist that covered all aspects of his career. One thing I always respected about Bowie's tours, unlike say The Rolling Stones (who play the same 15 songs every tour and maybe add one or two new tracks and maybe one or two random older songs) is that outside of the 1990 tour (intended as a Greatest Hits tour), he always played only "some" hits instead of all of them, and was never afraid to dig through his catalog and play random tracks off Lodger to an unsuspecting audience expecting to hear China Girl.
    It sounds a bit unusual that there's so little interest in the new tracks from already established acts. :( I almost don't believe it. Maybe The Rolling Stones are already over as a band and are just reminiscence of old days for the lack of better music (I'd love to go to one of their concerts one day but that's next to impossible).

My friend (a musician with a degree, so I find that person trustworthy ) says it's next to impossible to be always on top continuing to surprise and engage public (music is almost always about one and the same things like love and it's not possible to write 10 genuine albums only about it - people will get tired anyway). Everything has its limits and artists do reach them at some point in their careers. :( Unless there's some studio manufactured drama to keep an artist relevant (but that is for semi legit pop acts mostly).

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by » Fri March 9th, 2012, 13:15

My friend (a musician with a degree, so I find that person trustworthy ) says it's next to impossible to be always on top continuing to surprise and engage public (music is almost always about one and the same things like love and it's not possible to write 10 genuine albums only about it - people will get tired anyway). Everything has its limits and artists do reach them at some point in their careers. :( Unless there's some studio manufactured drama to keep an artist relevant (but that is for semi legit pop acts mostly).
    Well yes that is true for some artists but not for all, a lot of older artists do suffer from ageism of sorts. Let's be honest and look at the quality of hit music today, you wouldn't have to come up with something incredible to make a dent in the charts anyway mostly, it's all about hype now, not true quality. ;)

I reckon if he made a new album it would not do well, simply because he is old and a lot of kids will not be interested in him.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Fri March 9th, 2012, 15:37

^ I was reffering more to the artist naturally fading away (covered themes, creativity, ability to carry out a show, desire to do tours, genuinely engaging audience) rather than relevancy among the youngsters (however it's an issue as it has been pointed out many times before). Some singers can admit "I said it all, I have nothing to add without repeating myself".

Today's singers managed to set standards as low as one can get. :( We're living in a global village with an emphasis towards image, package and PR teams. I doubt some of the current chart toppers could get far without huge financial investments (PR mostly) from the beginning and cookie-cutter looks (people's fascination with pictures and magazines). The latter hitted even Opera where singers admit they have to loose weight and keep up (though in many cases additional weight there is helpful). The decline in quality of music, lyrics and singing is drastic.

I reckon if he made a new album it would not do well, simply because he is old and a lot of kids will not be interested in him.
    You've got a good point here. But his target audience will be older folks who are used to buying albums and can afford it ().

Overall I do agree with you.

by » Fri March 9th, 2012, 21:49

You've got a good point here. But his target audience will be older folks who are used to buying albums and can afford it ().

That's how I feel. I don't think Bowie will sell much to younger kids, but honestly, have "the kids" listened to Bowie since 80s? I think like Springsteen, Paul Simon and Bob Dylan that there's still an audience out there for new Bowie music as like them, he continues to be a timeless artist.

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by » Fri March 9th, 2012, 23:14

That's how I feel. I don't think Bowie will sell much to younger kids, but honestly, have "the kids" listened to Bowie since 80s? I think like Springsteen, Paul Simon and Bob Dylan that there's still an audience out there for new Bowie music as like them, he continues to be a timeless artist.
    Oh yes they are timeless and there will always be an audience for them, mainly older fans and a number of younger fans (myself included! ) But what I'm saying is that I can't see him being big again because most people my age and in their teens (the bulk of the music buyers who make the Top 40 what it is) would not know or be interested in him enough for notable success.

Kate Bush is a recent example, yes she's legendary, iconic and has many fans but her latest album did not do that well in the long run and that is simply because 11-15+ year olds do not have any knowledge or interest in them (why should they? ) Most people I know that are my age only have interest in Katy Perry, Rhianna, Beyonce and the like and have very little interest in older acts. :(

But ultimately it doesn't matter in the long haul as long I still get new music to listen to, everyone else can have Katy Perry I don't want her!

With a great album and the support of his older and younger fans he could a Top 20 album, but he has to contend with all of the modern acts and that will be hard, it's only normal.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Fri March 9th, 2012, 23:47

With a great album and the support of his older and younger fans he could a Top 20 album, but he has to contend with all of the modern acts and that will be hard, it's only normal.
    Guns'n'Roses, if ever reunited, stand a better chance for Top 20 :(

by » Sat March 10th, 2012, 00:00

Bowie's albums have always debuted high in the UK, he's someone who has a built-in fanbase for life. In the US it's always been more hit and miss (Heathen went top 20, Reality went top 30) but as a whole, he's someone who will always have "name value" where people will be interested in checking new music out.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Sat March 10th, 2012, 00:18

Bowie's albums have always debuted high in the UK, he's someone who has a built-in fanbase for life. In the US it's always been more hit and miss (Heathen went top 20, Reality went top 30) but as a whole, he's someone who will always have "name value" where people will be interested in checking new music out.
    I hope he'll drop an album

by » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 21:10

For those who love those deluxe anniversary reissues

http://theseconddisc.com/2012/03/22/han ... -from-emi/

In 1972, you would have found David Bowie at the crossroads of music, fashion and theatre when he introduced Ziggy Stardust on his now-iconic breakthrough LP The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. If the album hardly sounded like any other, “alien” might have been too much of an understatement for Ziggy himself. The concept behind the album was light but the songs were heavy, and among the best Bowie had penned to date. Hard rock riffs melded with evocative orchestrations on mini-rock operas like “Suffragette City,” “Moonage Daydream,” “Hang Onto Yourself” and “Five Years,” with The Spiders from Mars – Mick Ronson (guitar, pianos, string arrangements), Trevor Bolder (bass) and Mick Woodmansey (drums) – playing to perfection. Fast-forward to 2012, and a 40th Anniversary Edition of the title seemed inevitable. That release has just been announced by David Bowie’s Facebook team, and in this day and age of the Super Deluxe Edition, it seems positively modest, especially for the flamboyant Ziggy.

Despite gaining stature over the years as an iconic album of the glam era, Ziggy Stardust only reached No. 75 in the U.S. (it scored significantly better in the U.K., peaking at No. 5) upon its initial release. Ziggy was eventually certified platinum and gold in the U.K. and U.S., respectively. “Starman,” selected as the album’s single, reached No. 10 in the U.K., but echoing the album’s placement, it only managed to make it to No. 65 on the U.S. chart. Still, Ziggy has been released numerous times in the compact disc age, making this new edition just one in a long line of Ziggy Stardust remasters.

Due on June 4 in the U.K. and June 5 in the U.S., the new Ziggy will be available in a variety of formats (CD, LP, and audio DVD with surround mixes). Hit the jump for all of the details including track listings and discography!

A basic CD edition will feature a 2012 remaster from Ray Staff, the album’s original mastering engineer at Trident Studios, and Ken Scott, the album’s co-producer. A 180-gram vinyl edition will also be freshly remastered by Staff. A DVD will offer Staff’s 2012 remaster in 96/24 PCM Stereo plus the 5.1 surround mixes created in 2003 by Ken Scott for the now-out-of-print SACD edition. The surround mixes will be available in DTS 48/24 and Dolby Digital, and the disc will also contain a stereo fold-down (48/24 PCM) of the original album plus previously unreleased 5.1 mixes of “Moonage Daydream (Instrumental),” “The Supermen,” “Velvet Goldmine” and “Sweet Head.”

While the inclusion of previously unreleased 5.1 mixes will be enough to entice some surround fans, Bowie’s Facebook page also notes, “This is great news for those of you that have been after a copy of the 2003 Ziggy SACD which featured the 5.1 mixes, as you would be hard-pushed to get change from sixty quid for a copy these days. Somebody is even asking for £175 for a copy on a popular marketplace site right now!”

How does this edition compare with previous issues? Ziggy had its domestic CD premiere from RCA in 1984 (PCD1-4702) in an edition still prized by audiophiles. When Rykodisc acquired the Bowie catalogue, Ziggy was rolled out with five bonus tracks (RCD-90134) in 1990: demos of “Ziggy Stardust” and “Lady Stardust,” the outtakes “Velvet Goldmine” (also the B-side of the 1975 reissue of “Space Oddity”) and “Sweet Head,” plus an unreleased mix of “John, I’m Only Dancing.” The Bowie catalogue changed hands again near the end of the decade, and the new remasters from Virgin/EMI deleted the bonus tracks from each title. Hence, 1999’s EMI issue (7243 521900 0 3), as remastered by Peter Mew, contains only the original album sequence. Three years later, EMI unveiled a deluxe 2-CD edition of the seminal album (7243 5 39826 2 1) for its 30th anniversary, but the remastering on this set proved controversial. The left and right stereo channels were reversed on the original LP sequence, and some of the songs (“Hang On to Yourself,” the bridge between “Ziggy Stardust” and “Suffragette City”) were clipped. Its second disc contains twelve tracks, many of which had been previously released by Rykodisc and spread among their 1990–92 reissues. Each of the five bonus tracks from the Rykodisc CD appears, albeit some in different form. (“Sweet Head,” for instance, features extended studio chatter at its beginning.) A stereo and multi-channel hybrid SACD (07243 521900 2 7) was released concurrently. The newly-created remaster for the 40th anniversary will likely address the concerns raised about the 30th anniversary set.

It’s not completely clear how these formats will be sold; the fine U.K. retailer What Records is currently accepting pre-orders for a CD-only edition retailing at £9.99 and an LP+DVD combo at £16.99. Rest assured we’ll report back as soon as pre-order links are active domestically and more information is revealed as to how each format will be sold! The 40th Anniversary Edition of The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars arrives from EMI on June 4 in the U.K. and June 5 in the U.S.!

David Bowie, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (RCA LSP-4702, 1972 – reissued EMI, 2012)

CD and LP Editions:

Five Years (2012 – Remaster)
    Soul Love (2012 – Remaster)
    Moonage Daydream (2012 – Remaster)
    Starman (2012 – Remaster)
    It Ain’t Easy (2012 – Remaster)
    Lady Stardust (2012 – Remaster)
    Star (2012 – Remaster)
    Hang On to Yourself (2012 – Remaster)
    Ziggy Stardust (2012 – Remaster)
    Suffragette City (2012 – Remaster)
    Rock ‘N’ Roll Suicide (2012 – Remaster)

DVD:

Five Years (2012 – Remaster)
    Soul Love (2012 – Remaster)
    Moonage Daydream (2012 – Remaster)
    Starman (2012 – Remaster)
    It Ain’t Easy (2012 – Remaster)
    Lady Stardust (2012 – Remaster)
    Star (2012 – Remaster)
    Hang On to Yourself (2012 – Remaster)
    Ziggy Stardust (2012 – Remaster)
    Suffragette City (2012 – Remaster)
    Rock ‘N’ Roll Suicide (2012 – Remaster)
    Five Years (5.1 mixes: DTS 48/24 and Dolby Digital / Stereo mixes: 48/24 LPCM stereo)
    Soul Love (5.1 mixes: DTS 48/24 and Dolby Digital / Stereo mixes: 48/24 LPCM stereo)
    Moonage Daydream (5.1 mixes: DTS 48/24 and Dolby Digital / Stereo mixes: 48/24 LPCM stereo)
    Starman (5.1 mixes: DTS 48/24 and Dolby Digital / Stereo mixes: 48/24 LPCM stereo)
    It Ain’t Easy (5.1 mixes: DTS 48/24 and Dolby Digital / Stereo mixes: 48/24 LPCM stereo)
    Lady Stardust (5.1 mixes: DTS 48/24 and Dolby Digital / Stereo mixes: 48/24 LPCM stereo)
    Star (5.1 mixes: DTS 48/24 and Dolby Digital / Stereo mixes: 48/24 LPCM stereo)
    Hang On To Yourself (5.1 mixes: DTS 48/24 and Dolby Digital / Stereo mixes: 48/24 LPCM stereo)
    Ziggy Stardust (5.1 mixes: DTS 48/24 and Dolby Digital / Stereo mixes: 48/24 LPCM stereo)
    Suffragette City (5.1 mixes: DTS 48/24 and Dolby Digital / Stereo mixes: 48/24 LPCM stereo)
    Rock ‘N’ Roll Suicide (5.1 mixes: DTS 48/24 and Dolby Digital / Stereo mixes: 48/24 LPCM stereo)
    Moonage Daydream (Instrumental) - Previously Unreleased 5.1 mixes: DTS 48/24 and Dolby Digital / Stereo mixes: 48/24 LPCM stereo)
    The Supermen – Previously Unreleased 5.1 mixes: DTS 48/24 and Dolby Digital / Stereo mixes: 48/24 LPCM stereo)
    Velvet Goldmine – Previously Unreleased 5.1 mixes: DTS 48/24 and Dolby Digital / Stereo mixes: 48/24 LPCM stereo)
    Sweet Head – Previously Unreleased 5.1 mixes: DTS 48/24 and Dolby Digital / Stereo mixes: 48/24 LPCM stereo)

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 21:18

So...if I want to know who David Bowie is...

Where do I start?
    I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
    --Katy Perry

Manager
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 21:27

Quote Originally Posted by Titan3510

Where do I start?
    Scary Monsters and Super Creeps
    Station to Station
    and a good compilation such as Best of Bowie

Ziggy Stardust is probably the most famous but I have never rated it as his best.

by » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 21:28

Quote Originally Posted by ShayLaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan3510

Where do I start?
    Scary Monsters and Super Creeps
    Station to Station
    and a good compilation such as Best of Bowie
    Agree with those. So much more to him than Ziggy Stardust and his 1980's MTV pop hits like "Let's Dance" and "Blue Jean".

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 21:32

Woo for the re-issue will get it!

It's so hard to suggest an album, it's always different for each listener, I tend to lean more toward the more abstract stuff like the "Outside" & "Lodger" albums! "Station & Station" is wonderful but not right for a new listener in my opinion, "Scary Monsters" is a good choice though, he has sooo many albums to choose from!

by » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 21:39

It's so hard to suggest an album, it's always different for each listener, I tend to lean more toward the more abstract stuff like the "Outside" & "Lodger" albums!
    Well you aren't the most normal music listener

Lodger and Outside are going to scare most newbies off . I remember getting Lodger as a member of Columbia House since they had it on sale cheap and I had a whole "wtf is this"? because I was too new to Bowie's catalog (at that point, Let's Dance and Scary Monsters were the only other titles I had of his, two much more "regular" albums)... a few mos later after exposing myself to more of his stuff, I came back to it and loved it because I had more exposure about what Bowie was about.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 21:44

I liked Outside

Woo for the re-issue

Legend
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

by » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 21:58

It's so hard to suggest an album, it's always different for each listener, I tend to lean more toward the more abstract stuff like the "Outside" & "Lodger" albums!
    Well you aren't the most normal music listener

Lodger and Outside are going to scare most newbies off . I remember getting Lodger as a member of Columbia House since they had it on sale cheap and I had a whole "wtf is this"? because I was too new to Bowie's catalog (at that point, Let's Dance and Scary Monsters were the only other titles I had of his, two much more "regular" albums)... a few mos later after exposing myself to more of his stuff, I came back to it and loved it because I had more exposure about what Bowie was about.
    Well I loved it straight away! #I'mSoCool

Superstar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

by » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 22:05

Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust are good starters. Or just buy a GH
    "you act like nothing really happened but it meant the world to me"

by » Wed May 23rd, 2012, 02:40

I noticed they have the 1968 "Love You Till Tuesday" short film on YouTube. A 30 minute showcase he filmed that largely promoted his debut album, and also included the earliest version of "Space Oddity". "Ching-A-Ling" (some hippie trio song he did because he was in a relationship with the female who sang lead at the time, who in turn left David for the other guy in the band... and of course they're both long obscure while Bowie went on to become a rock icon) has to be the worst thing he ever did, and judging some of his 80's music, that means something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JldIy0KtqQ0