Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank Ocean - channel ORANGE

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Wed June 27th, 2012, 23:12

Complex Magazine album review

"Thinking About You"
    This joint's been floating around the Internet for months. First it was an Ocean-penned track for Roc Nation singer Bridget Kelly, which she did justice to. Then Frank posted his own version of the song on his Tumblr page. No contest—this cut about not being able to keep that special someone off your mind sounds better in his falsetto.

"Sierra Leone"
    This spacy cut, named for the diamond-rich but war-torn African nation, is highlighted by its wild use of organs and tremendous melodies.

"Sweet Life"
    On this jazzy song Frank sings about enjoying what's in front of you, as opposed to thinking about what's beyond. “Why see the world when you've got the beach,” he asks, then adds “MY TV ain't HD. That's too real.”

"Too Many"
    This song might also be titled “Real Love” or “Super Rich,” but whatever you call it, it knocks. Over piano jabs that recall Elton John's "Bennie and the Jets," Frank speaks on affluent kids living the high life without their parents' love. “Too many joyrides in Daddy's Jaguar,” he sings on the hook. “Too many white lies and white lines." Odd Future teammate Earl Sweatshirt features on this cut, which sounds like a hit.

"Pilot Jones"
    Here's an eerie song where Frank sings to a woman, most likely a pilot, who's not flying right. “Why am I trying to keep a grown woman sober,” he asks, then admits “I've always had a pilot jones.”

"Pyramids"
    This 10-minute offering is Frank's first Channel Orange single. It's an epic song, starting out as the tale of a queen being stolen from her land and then transforming into a cut that's fit for a raunchy gentlemen's club. By the way, that's John Mayer on the guitar at the end.

"Crack Rock"
    This song would have been perfectly suited for any scene in Jungle Fever featuring Samuel L. Jackson's crackhead character Gator. Over hard drums and organs, Frank sings about “smoking stones in abandoned homes” and fiends “shucking and jiving” for drugs.

"Lost"
    This one's all about a girl who lost her way after traveling to a place where she thought her dream would come true. Apparently Frank isn't exactly helping her find her way. “I can't believe I got her out here cooking dope,” he sings.

"Run"
    On this funky cut Frank sings about an Indian woman who's following the Dalai Lama. Frank's with her in the wild and things get real in the field. “Tigers woke us from our slumber,” he sings. Hello kitty!

"Taxi Driver"
    This piano and string-driven song find Ocean unloading his troubles from the backseat of a cab. “Taxi driver, you're my shrink for the hour,” he starts. As the meter runs, his issues spill out. “I've got three lives balanced on my head like steak knives,” Ocean spits. Sounds painful.

"Pleasure"
    Ocean sounds pensive here, singing, “What if the sky and stars are for show?” Andre 3000 features on this track. “She had a body that would intimidate anyone that wasn't Southern,” he says of a particularly stacked lady in his Georgia drawl. “Not me, cousin.”

"Forrest Gump"
    The last cut on the album is just a few guitar licks shy of a country song. Ocean sings about a woman who's been running through his mind. The outro that really wraps the albums is where we hear Frank leaving his car and splashing through the rain to his home. Once he unlocks the door to the crib and closes it behind him, Channel Orange is blacked out.
    Where is Run & Taxi Driver on the tracklisting?? Maybe he removed them or changed the titles, I want all the damn songs but ugh this album sounds SO good!!

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Wed June 27th, 2012, 23:22

Confused about the tracklisting.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Wed June 27th, 2012, 23:41

Quote Originally Posted by Plym
    Confused about the tracklisting.
    Whyyy? The first one posted is real one & the album review was done a while ago, he might of switched the tracklisting up.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Wed June 27th, 2012, 23:59

And that's exactly why it's confusing!

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Thu June 28th, 2012, 00:51

oh well if you ignore the review I just posted, the 17 track tracklisting is correct. Confusion is no more

Legend
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

by » Fri June 29th, 2012, 00:41

"Pyramids" has officially become my favourite song by Frank Ocean, overtaking "Novacane".
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Mon July 2nd, 2012, 23:19

WAIT.

Today saw the LP receive its London press playback, and oh did it serve up more than expected. See what we mean via Max/BBC 1 Xtra‘s preview below…

Excerpt via This is Max:

“Frank has also opened up about his sexuality on the album, we think it’s brave and admire him for being so honest and sharing such a personal aspect of his life through his music. On the songs ‘Bad Religion’ ‘Pink Matter and ‘Forrest Gump’ you can hear him sing about being in love and their are quite obvious words used like ‘him’ and not ‘her’.

In the world we live in now we can’t see this being an issue or why it should be?? But we do commend him for not continuing a facade and conforming to what a Hip Hop so called rule book expects, we say live your life and be yourself.”

I am playing his love interest in his next video

by » Mon July 2nd, 2012, 23:26

I knew it! The moment I read (a while back) that he's a huge Celine Dion fan, I just knew it. Hmmhmm.
    DEBBIE GIBSON 2020

by » Mon July 2nd, 2012, 23:30

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung
    I knew it! The moment I read (a while back) that he's a huge Celine Dion fan, I just knew it. Hmmhmm.
    I don't have any love for Celine, but don't you think that argument is reaching? I'm straight, and i'm a fan of Mariah Mariah is MUCH hotter than Celine though, so your point might be based on that!

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Mon July 2nd, 2012, 23:39

Frank doesn't give a shit, thats why I respect him so much.
    The freshest artist to come out of hip-hop in a while.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Mon July 2nd, 2012, 23:50

Quote Originally Posted by emilhot
    I don't have any love for Celine, but don't you think that argument is reaching? I'm straight, and i'm a fan of Mariah Mariah is MUCH hotter than Celine though, so your point might be based on that!

Loving Celine & Madonna = Gay

Loving Mariah & Whitney = Cool

Anyways...

They have been previous reviews and nobody said this and now, i read someone said, he might be talking about what the girl says in the song.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Tue July 3rd, 2012, 00:21

I really had a feeling about this.
    I'm gonna do you like drugs tonight...

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

by » Tue July 3rd, 2012, 00:29

Frank Ocean gets down . YAASSS kween!!! **signs up for him to be my baby daddy**

In all seriousness though if this is true then I will stan for him more than I do now. He will be the first black male R&B/Hip Hop artist to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serby
    Cuz you ugly and can't relate

Legend
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

by » Tue July 3rd, 2012, 02:46

Quote Originally Posted by Plym
    Frank doesn't give a shit, thats why I respect him so much.
    The freshest artist to come out of hip-hop in a while.
    I definitely agree.

However, I did not expect this, at all, and I'm quite shocked, to be honest. I always thought "Thinking about You" was about a girl !

Well, I couldn't care less.
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

by » Tue July 3rd, 2012, 03:02

Really? Are they sure he didn't attempt the songwriting process with a simple narrative approach, I'm sure this must have been misconstrued somewhere, I don't see it. There's nothing wrong, just would display a different perception to his music.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Tue July 3rd, 2012, 11:39

People are so quick to jump on conclusion after 1 ARTICLE.

How many times medias fooled us??try to think by yourself..i will wait for a frank explanation or maybe he will never do it but i dont believe it right now
    Only Want Great Music

Legend
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

by » Tue July 3rd, 2012, 11:47

Frank takes loads of different perspectives with songs, so I wouldn't be surprised if the reviewers took everything too literally.

Lyrics such as "I'm high and I'm bye wait, I mean I'm straight" keep people guessing, but I don't think they were meant to be taken that serious or that he cares that much tbh.

Not that it matters though, I can't wait for this album and can't believe we'll have it in less than 2 weeks.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Tue July 3rd, 2012, 12:12

Quote Originally Posted by emilhot
    WHUT?

Legend
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

by » Tue July 3rd, 2012, 12:28

^ Can you please remove that picture, UKMix is a family friendly site.

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Tue July 3rd, 2012, 15:14

This has apparently been pushed back a week in the UK, to 23rd July from 16th.
    "This time I'm gonna get it right. I'm gonna paint my face like the Guggenheim!"

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Tue July 3rd, 2012, 15:20

Quote Originally Posted by topopMAC1
    This has apparently been pushed back a week in the UK, to 23rd July from 16th.
    OMG when I seen pushed back I died, but thank god it's in the UK. Can still listen to it online before I purchase

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

by » Wed July 4th, 2012, 06:40

Frank took took to his tumblr to clear up the rumors: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6...z3yo1_1280.png

Mad props to him.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Wed July 4th, 2012, 06:45

^^yep. I have even more respect for him, especially considering this is his first album.
    I'm gonna do you like drugs tonight...