Thread: Queer As Folk USA

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun December 30th, 2012, 01:52

Quote Originally Posted by 04wayne
    I love how everyone comes together when Brian loses his job!
    Yes, it was really beautiful to see! I finished off watching season three and I was so touched that Brian risked everything just to ensure Stockwell's defeat. It's interesting that in the beginning I wasn't too keen on him but he has grown, as I remember you yourself predicting that he would, to be my favourite character. I think he's definitely evolved quite a bit from the cold, insensitive, sarcastic Brian that I met in season one. He's of course still all those things but I think Justin's helped bring out a softer, more loving and less selfish Brian.

Oh, I watched the first episode of season four as well and I really liked it! Michael being forceful and aggressive was such a welcome departure from his typical character! Glad that Hunter got the go-ahead to stay with Mike and Ben. The Ted, Emmett, and that guy from season one who Ted liked but turned out to be a druggie (whose name I can't put my finger on at the moment) love triangle will prove to be interesting to be sure. Can't wait to see how that unfolds. But again, Brian stole the episode for me when he was humble enough to accept the generous and deserving donation. Shame at how the episode ended with the guy getting pummeled by a group of homophobes though.

Oh, and I don't think I've ever said this before about any show but this series makes me happy to be gay. No, I'd say "happy" doesn't quite fit the bill, it makes me "proud". It's quickly becoming one of my all-time favourites. Will it manage to surpass my love for Desperate Housewives?
    You can search the entire universe and not find a single being more worthy of love than you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon January 7th, 2013, 18:54

I've watched up to E8 and I'm off to see E9 right now. So much has happened! I find that I'm really loving Brian more and more with every passing episode (despite his actions I just witnessed a few minutes ago which I feel were unwarranted) and I'm glad that Teddy's bounced back. So sorry about what happened to Vic though. :(

Melanie and Lindsay are also great supporting characters. I love them both. Hunter's starting to become more civilized and that's great to see.
    You can search the entire universe and not find a single being more worthy of love than you.

Legend
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon January 7th, 2013, 19:05

Hunter blossoms quite well; the love triangle between Emmet, Ted and the love triangle is one of my least favourite story lines.

'Temmet' fortunately ends a bit better and more happy!

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed January 9th, 2013, 21:14

Hunter blossoms quite well; the love triangle between Emmet, Ted and the love triangle is one of my least favourite story lines.

'Temmet' fortunately ends a bit better and more happy!
    Just finished watching E9 and I'm really enjoying this new Hunter. I hope Ben doesn't cheat on Michael with his former student though I definitely see that's where their little buddyship is heading to. He also needs to get over himself and stop being so blasted jealous about Michael's success! It's starting to irk me a bit.

I did not see that scene with Emmett and the football player coming! I thoroughly enjoyed that scene - such a delightful surprise! Oh, and I'm glad that Justin's forced himself back into Brian's life. I feel so connected to Brian. It was funny to see Ted try to emulate Brian though I guess his performance was satisfactory since they landed the account! Sad about Debbie and her love interest dating another woman though. :(

Only five more episodes left in this season and then I'll be on to the final season. I don't want this journey to end.

Legend
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed January 9th, 2013, 21:40

I've still never watched the full final episode - I cannot say goodbye.

People laugh when I tell them how much Queer As Folk changed my life but it really did - it's easily the single biggest influence on my character, just unbelievable.

That being said, Season 4 is probably the weakest season so I'm pleased to see you're enjoying it!

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat January 12th, 2013, 21:59

I can definitely see how it's impacted you so! It's doing the same for me!

I finished watching the final five episodes of season four and I found myself replaying all the scenes with Emmett and the football player! Theirs is definitely one of my favourite random side storylines of the series! Glad that Emmett had the self-respect to proclaim that he refused to live a lie though! I see so much of myself in Emmett and Brian too. In fact, I see a bit of myself in all of the characters! Anyway, moving on...

Brian is SUCH a fighter! His unwavering persistence was really inspiring to see! I remember you saying that Emmett's character showed the most growth in comparison to the beginning and the end but I think that as the series nears its end (only one more for me to watch! ), I'm most pleased with Brian's evolution. He's becoming so much more human and a hell of a lot more likeable and relatable too.

The proposals and subsequent marriage storyline was a bit meh. Sorry to see that Melanie and Lindsay are going through rocky times in their relationship. Hope they call off the separation and stay together. They're one of my favourite couples and now that I think about it...they're actually the only couple that stayed together consistently for the first four seasons!

I cannot believe there's only one more season left. I never want this show to end.

Legend
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat January 12th, 2013, 22:13

You must be mad, watching the final season!

What you will be glad about, is that all loose ends are tied.

However, the most symbolic moment of the whole show happens during this season - and once it happens, you just know things aren't ever going to be the same!

I shan't say what it is, but I wonder if you'll think the same as me!

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed January 23rd, 2013, 19:23

However, the most symbolic moment of the whole show happens during this season - and once it happens, you just know things aren't ever going to be the same!

I shan't say what it is, but I wonder if you'll think the same as me!
    I've watched the first six episodes and I think I've finally spotted the symbolic moment you mentioned! It's the guy turning Brian down, isn't it? For four straight seasons, Brian's been Pittsburgh's go-to hunk but it seems that his throne's been usurped! I'm interested to see how this change affects other elements in his life. Will he finally decide to have the monogamous relationship with Justin that Justin so badly wants? That'd make for such a fitting end and would be the final step in the evolution of Mister Brian Kinney.

Glad to see Mel, Lindsay, and Michael have stopped fighting over the baby. I wasn't too thrilled with that part of the storyline though it was interesting to see Lindsay become a bit more aggressive and Mel-like.

at Ted coming out of the plastic surgery looking pretty much the same as he went in! Glad that he seems to be ending the series with a level of confidence he never had before.

I'm interested to see how Emmett will end his tenure as the Queer Eye guy on the news show.

The Michael/Ben/Hunter storylines haven't been bad. Mike and Ben are taking a backseat and Hunter's starting to step forward as a more important character as the series nears its end.

Ooh, the girl who had a crush on Debbie! That was a funny little side plot.

I cannot believe I've only got eight episodes left.

Wayne, where in this final season did you stop watching? Did you at least see the penultimate episode?

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri February 8th, 2013, 15:39

Okay, I think the bomb might've been the turning point you were referring to, Wayne. It's so sad that someone was vile enough to plant it there but when fueled by hate, it's amazing the evil human beings are capable of.

I'm very happy that Drew returned as he's probably my favourite love interest of Em's. Also, I must admit that though I saw the Brian/Justin marriage proposal coming I still couldn't believe my eyes when it actually materialized!

It's great that Hunter returned though I did fear a bit for Michael's life. As irksome as his character sometimes is, his close encounter with death reminded me how pivotal and central a character he truly is. Oh, and woohoo for Melanie and Lindsay reconciling! I knew it was only a matter of time!

I'm off to watch the final episode now and I'm a bit beside myself. A part of me doesn't want the journey to end but the part of me eager to see how everything wraps up is going to prevail in 3,2,1...!

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat February 9th, 2013, 14:57

Akini, I haven't noticed this until now to be able to answer your questions!

1. The symbolic moment I was talking about was the whole Babylon incident, yes. Once that happens, you know its the end of things as we came to love them

2. I've watched up Brian asking Justin to marry him, and then stopped watching - I know full well what happens after through reading spoilers, but I have no desire to actually watch it out; as I said earlier in the topic, I won't say goodbye!

From reading your comments in this thread, I can tell you thoroughly enjoyed the show, from start-to-finish; it is an amazing journey, and I would always encourage young gay men to watch it. It helped me immensely - I mean the sex scenes are cringe if you're watching the show with someone else, but the actual storylines and the themes running throughout would help any confused or troubled gay man.

That, and its really hot to watch on TV!

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon February 11th, 2013, 06:08

Thankfully, I watched all of it (save for a few minutes with my sister which was all she could stand after witnessing a particularly steaming sex scene featuring Brian) by myself and I have to agree that it's an important show for LGBT youth to see. I've said it before somewhere in this thread but I truly believe this to be the greatest gay-themed show ever. I mean, Will & Grace was amazing and I take nothing from it but this show was so brave! It reminds me of Emmett on the news show and how they were quite content with having him just be this effeminate caricature of the gay stereotype but were aghast at his mentioning something sexual. Will & Grace was that - fun and laughs, games, and easy to watch but Queer as Folk tackled every single gay issue head on. The writing was brilliant, the acting was believable, and the entire experience was unforgettable.

The series finale was actually a tad underwhelming in comparison to earlier episodes but like you said, everything was wrapped up rather nicely and that final scene actually made me cry. It was simple enough - Brian standing in a newly built and refurbished Babylon with hundreds of gay guys around him but the camera focused solely on him as he danced. That was all he did - dance. It was subtle but so powerful. I loved it.

I was trying to fit the final few words of the show into my signature but sadly, it does not comply with the "150 characters or less" regulation so I couldn't. I really like them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    So the "thumpa thumpa" continues. It always will. No matter what happens. No matter who's president. As our lady of Disco, the divine Miss Gloria Gaynor has always sung to us: We will survive.
    Overall, I'd place this as my second all-time fave show. It fits snugly in between Desperate Housewives which really will never be surpassed and Glee.

Legend
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue January 28th, 2014, 01:18

Felt a teeeeeeeeeeeny bit down this evening [no excuses either! ], watched an episode of this and I'm full of hope again!

Watched the Pride episode, probably my second favourite episode ever - just so much joy throughout.

Now going to watch the whole boxset from episode one of series 1 onwards.

Amazing how much you can love such a show! Reading through our comments in this topic Akini, I love that you love this as much as me!

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue January 28th, 2014, 01:22

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    Watched the Pride episode, probably my second favourite episode ever - just so much joy throughout.
    I think I've watched that episode at least five times. Absolutely hilarious! I must admit that I do look forward to that scene with Ted and the hunk from Babylon though. It's one of my favourite sex scenes on the show.

Legend
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue January 28th, 2014, 01:23

Not a patch on the British original. I kinda got mad watching this show when they story didn't follow what the characters were supposed to do from the original

Legend
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue January 28th, 2014, 01:27

Quote Originally Posted by SholasBoy
    Not a patch on the British original. I kinda got mad watching this show when they story didn't follow what the characters were supposed to do from the original

Nathan from the UK + Justin from the US would've made a hot twink couple in the end! <3

I personally hated the UK version as it was too short; I have the boxset of the UK version too and I've only watched it once. It was bad enough that the US version ended after "just" 5 seasons, but the UK version was just a piss-take.

Legend
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue January 28th, 2014, 01:28

Just for the sake of it, I checked out the British version a few months ago and it's quite crap compared to the American version actually. The actors aren't as talented or attractive.

Legend
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue January 28th, 2014, 01:37

I thought Nathan was hot.

Though NOBODY can stack up to Brian in the US version.

I also quickly realised that the UK version lacks a strong matriarch - ala Debbie in the US version. Now Debbie really does make the US version for me, incredible actress and a such a fantastic part to play.

Legend
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue January 28th, 2014, 15:10

I thought Nathan was hot.
    Charlie Hunnam is too hot for this life.

Though NOBODY can stack up to Brian in the US version.
    I agree. Gale Harold has that je ne sais quois, no gay man alive would ever say no.
    "King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 16:51

Quote Originally Posted by hugo
    I agree. Gale Harold has that je ne sais quois, no gay man alive would ever say no.
    Really? I wouldn't say no ofc, but I wouldn't struggle that much to resist tbh. That Charlie guy looks way better.
    be kind to every kind

Legend
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 18:36

Quote Originally Posted by Serby
    Really? I wouldn't say no ofc, but I wouldn't struggle that much to resist tbh. That Charlie guy looks way better.
    Have you watched QAF? If you haven't, watch it, then you'll understand.

Legend
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 19:46

^ truest thing ever said on this site: 50% of Brian's attractiveness is his personality and general being. The man is the hottest thing ever.

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 23:34

Have you watched QAF? If you haven't, watch it, then you'll understand.
    Okay, that was really hot (and porn alike), but I still don't think he's all that irresistible.
    be kind to every kind

Legend
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 23:47

Quote Originally Posted by Serby
    Okay, that was really hot (and porn alike), but I still don't think he's all that irresistible.
    Watch the series

Legend
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat February 1st, 2014, 01:53

Okay, will try to see it in the future, it looks interesting.
    be kind to every kind