Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: "Pick and Top of the Pops" No 1's

Superstar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

by » Sat September 14th, 2019, 22:56

Regarding The Beatles UK No.1 Singles...

I've just checked and their only No.1 Entry in the 'Official' UK Chart was 'Get Back'. That
    entered at No.1, in April 1969. It was their 16th 'Official' UK No.1 Single, out of 17. They
    had 15 No.1 Singles in the Record Retailer Chart, and 2 No.1's in the 'Official' BMRB Chart.
    They took over compiling the 'Official' UK Charts, in February 1969, when the Record Retailer
    Charts ended.

However, in the 'New Musical Express' Chart, The Beatles had 18 No.1 Singles and 8 of them entered
    at No.1. Their 1st No.1 Entry was 'I Want To Hold Your Hand', in December 1963. It Entered at No.10
    in the Record Retailer Chart. Their 8th & final 'NME' No.1 Entry was 'All You Need Is Love', in July 1967.
    That Entered at No.2 in the Record Retailer Chart.

Ironically, 'Get Back', their only 'Official' No.1 Entry, was not one of their 8 No.1 Entries in the 'NME'
    Chart. It Entered at No.3 in that Chart...

I've no idea how many No.1 Entries The Beatles had in the 'Melody Maker' Singles Chart. Assuming that
    they had any at all...I now see that they had 19 No.1 Singles in the 'Melody Maker' Charts. 8 of them
    Entered at No.1. Their 1st No.1 Entry, was 'I Want To Hold Your Hand', in December 1963. Their 8th &
    final No.1 Entry, was 'Hey Jude', in September 1968. 'Get Back' Entered at No.2, in 'Melody Maker'.

Zeus555
    Last edited by zeus555; Sun September 15th, 2019 at 03:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Sun September 15th, 2019, 02:17

Zeus555, you need to read Alan Smith's article, "Beatles chart positions in ALL UK charts":

https://www.ukmix.org/showthread.php?87371

As to the Melody Maker singles chart, The Beatles had 19 #1's, 8 debuts at #1, but different from NME. The first debut at #1 was "I Want to Hold Your Hand"; the last debut at #1 was "Hey Jude". All is revealed in the above link.

Just to clarify, "Get Back" debuted at #1 on the BMRB chart which was carried in Record Retailer; it did not debut at #1 on the Record Retailer chart, as that ended in Feb 1969.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Sun September 15th, 2019, 02:22

Sorry, I couldn't resist posting this quote that I just saw on facebook:

"A lie doesn't become truth,
    wrong doesn't become right,
    and evil doesn't become good,
    just because it's accepted by a majority."

--Booker T. Washington

Superstar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

by » Sun September 15th, 2019, 03:10

RokinRobinOflocksley - Thanks for the information in your reply Post, to me. I've now re-written
    part of my own Post, to incorporate the New Facts, that you gave to me.

My name is Colin, by the way. Yours may, or may not, be Robin...

The Official UK Charts Company Site gives The Beatles 65 Weeks, at No.1, in the UK Singles Chart.

It should be 69 Weeks at No.1. The Site credits 'Get Back' with just 2 No.1 Weeks, when it was
    on Top for 6 Weeks. That is where The OCC's 'missing' 4 Beatles No.1 Singles Weeks have gone.
    I - and others - have told The OCC about their mistakes, on more than one occasion. The OCC
    pay no attention to us, and carry on giving The Beatles 65 No.1 Singles Weeks, instead of 69
    and 'Get Back' 2 No.1 Weeks, instead of 6...

Zeus555
    Last edited by zeus555; Sun September 15th, 2019 at 03:32.

by » Yesterday, 14:39

When it is said that Chinnery ignored the RR entry position for a Beatles single when the other charts entered it at number one, this implies that there was a special rule for the Beatles. But as this started with Can't Buy Me Love, and his heirarchy method for determining number ones started in 1964 and was operable in time for House Of The Rising Sun, it seems to me that he was just applying the new no. 1 heirarchy method across the board rather than anything special for the Beatles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

by » Yesterday, 22:09

Quote Originally Posted by Splodj View Post
    When it is said that Chinnery ignored the RR entry position for a Beatles single when the other charts entered it at number one, this implies that there was a special rule for the Beatles. But as this started with Can't Buy Me Love, and his heirarchy method for determining number ones started in 1964 and was operable in time for House Of The Rising Sun, it seems to me that he was just applying the new no. 1 heirarchy method across the board rather than anything special for the Beatles.
    Right, this '#1 rule' applied to every artist after it was put into effect, not just The Beatles. The Animals "House OTRS" and The Rolling Stones "The Last Time" both benefited. There could be more, could be a lot more. I don't recall seeing a Dave Taylor/Trevor Ager list for every time this happened, I reckon we'll just have to run the numbers ourselves, ha...

by » Today, 20:46

As an indication of how more important the charts were regarded then, I recall a headline in the top-selling Daily Mirror about how the Tottenham boys had ousted the Beatles when 'Glad All Over' reached number one. I do not subscribe to the Mirror archive, but guess this was on 7-Jan-64 when the chart they published would have shown that. Their readers would then have been confused by the Beatles still being tied at number one with the DC5 in the subsequent TOTP and POTP chart.