Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: The Rolling Stones

  1. #1
    Legend
    Join Date
    16 Nov 2011
    Posts
    20,005
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Wed July 25th, 2012, 14:55


    .....................


    Use this thread to discuss what you want about this legendary band.

  2. #2
    Legend
    Join Date
    16 Nov 2011
    Posts
    20,005
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Wed July 25th, 2012, 14:56

    Inaugurating () the space, here's the link for a full concert that was uploaded today on YouTube!

    Live On Copacabana Beach

    The Rolling Stones played in front of 1.5million people, the biggest concert of all time, at Copacabana Beach, Rio De Janeiro, on the 18th February 2006. To celebrate the beginning of our 50th anniversary year, on 12th July 2012 we are letting our fans watch this historic concert in its entirety.

    Full Concert

    Tracklisting:

    * Jumpin' Jack Flash
    * It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
    * You Got Me Rocking
    * Wild Horses
    * Rain Fall Down
    * Midnight Rambler
    * Nigh Time Is The Right Time
    * Happy
    * Miss You
    * Rough Justice
    * Get Off My Cloud
    * Honky Tonk Women
    * Brown Sugar
    * You Can't Always Get What You Want
    * (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

    +

    Documentary Live On Copacabana Beach




    Loved the doc, now watching the full gig

  3. #3
    Superstar
    Join Date
    02 Nov 2008
    Location
    New York City + the mosh pits
    Posts
    5,697
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Wed July 25th, 2012, 15:04

    I've only been fully exposed to the Rolling Stones through my dad's extensive collection of their music.

    I was 18 when I went to their A Bigger Bang concert in 2006 and it was pretty cool. I heard they won't be touring again until next year, though.

    Will check this out when I find the time!
    I'm gonna do you like drugs tonight...

  4. #4
    Legend
    Join Date
    16 Nov 2011
    Posts
    20,005
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Wed July 25th, 2012, 15:10

    Quote Originally Posted by Baditude
    I've only been fully exposed to the Rolling Stones through my dad's extensive collection of their music.

    I was 18 when I went to their A Bigger Bang concert in 2006 and it was pretty cool. I heard they won't be touring again until next year, though.

    Will check this out when I find the time!
    So you might have my age! I didn't go to this concert, but I got a lot of friends that did :evil:

    I'm also discovering their music thanks to my family's collection, especially my aunt's

    Besides that, I always found some 'random' tracks on YouTube which I love, like the gem Under My Thumb. I can't express how much I adore this song!

  5. #5
    Superstar
    Join Date
    02 Nov 2008
    Location
    New York City + the mosh pits
    Posts
    5,697
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Wed July 25th, 2012, 15:26

    Quote Originally Posted by Wardo
    Quote Originally Posted by Baditude
    I've only been fully exposed to the Rolling Stones through my dad's extensive collection of their music.

    I was 18 when I went to their A Bigger Bang concert in 2006 and it was pretty cool. I heard they won't be touring again until next year, though.

    Will check this out when I find the time!
    So you might have my age! I didn't go to this concert, but I got a lot of friends that did :evil:

    I'm also discovering their music thanks to my family's collection, especially my aunt's

    Besides that, I always found some 'random' tracks on YouTube which I love, like the gem Under My Thumb. I can't express how much I adore this song!
    Lol I really enjoyed the concert. You should go to their concert next year!

    I actually first heard "Under My Thumb" on a Tina Turner album, then later in life I realized it was a cover version of the Rolling Stones.

    And yeah, I turned 24 about six months ago!
    I'm gonna do you like drugs tonight...

  6. #6
    Legend
    Join Date
    14 Feb 2010
    Location
    Land of P
    Posts
    13,449
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Wed July 25th, 2012, 20:22

    I've been wanting to watch this concert for a loooong time and finally I can!

    That 1.5 Million blew my mind the first time I heard it... how is it even possible for this many people to come together for an event??!!

  7. #7
    Superstar
    Join Date
    01 Jun 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,637
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    by » Wed July 25th, 2012, 20:24

    I love how Janet Jackson sampled them in What'll I Do.
    I can feel this light that's inside of me, growing fast into a bolt of lightning. I know one spark will shock the world...
    --Katy Perry

  8. #8
    Vindrag's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    09 Mar 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    23,340
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    by » Wed July 25th, 2012, 20:33

    Oh! I got to watch that concert, thanks for posting it Wardo! Quite a big fan here!
    Luc

    I have hatred towards the entire world,
    and you are no exception

  9. #9
    AndiIversen's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    18 Mar 2012
    Location
    Gold coast / Chicago
    Posts
    18,495
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

    by » Wed July 25th, 2012, 20:47

    They've just celebrated the 50th year in the biz, July 12th 1962 was the date they first played in London

  10. #10

    by » Mon August 20th, 2012, 22:22

    I saw them later on the Bigger Bang tour. While it was cool to say I saw them live, I do feel like they were going through the motions and playing songs they likely never want to hear again. They have so many great songs on their 60s and 70s albums that never get tapped (for instance, they only did one Exile track, there's nearly 20 great songs on that album) just so they can drudge out Brown Sugar, Start Me Up and Satisfaction for the boomers.

  11. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    16 Nov 2011
    Posts
    20,005
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Mon August 20th, 2012, 22:30

    Yeah I think I know what you mean.

    That's the problem of compiling the setlist in the case of huge acts.

    If Joss Stone, a recent singer (though she has 6 discs) struggles to chose songs that satisfy the audience in addition to a great show, what to say about The Rolling Stones!

  12. #12

    by » Mon August 20th, 2012, 22:38

    Quote Originally Posted by Wardo
    Yeah I think I know what you mean.

    That's the problem of compiling the setlist in the case of huge acts.

    If Joss Stone, a recent singer (though she has 6 discs) struggles to chose songs that satisfy the audience in addition to a great show, what to say about The Rolling Stones!
    Yep, "Dead Flowers" was pretty much the only "deep cut" kind of song they performed when I saw them, beyond the two or three obligatory A Bigger Bang tracks, the rest of it were tracks on Forty Licks. I think they could've done a half and half setlist of classics and fan faves.

  13. #13
    AndiIversen's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    18 Mar 2012
    Location
    Gold coast / Chicago
    Posts
    18,495
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

    by » Sat September 8th, 2012, 20:29

    new album!:

    GRRR! The Rolling Stones announce greatest hits album

    http://www.rollingstones.com/2012/09...st-hits-album/


  14. #14

    by » Thu September 13th, 2012, 19:01

    I was kinda hoping they would drop a new full length album. I may be in the minority but I thought A Bigger Bang was underrated.

  15. #15

    by » Thu September 13th, 2012, 21:21

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    I was kinda hoping they would drop a new full length album. I may be in the minority but I thought A Bigger Bang was underrated.
    It isnt a new album it's a greatest hits package with two new songs on it
    boing boing baggies baggies

  16. #16

    by » Thu September 13th, 2012, 21:38

    Quote Originally Posted by wbarenno
    Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    I was kinda hoping they would drop a new full length album. I may be in the minority but I thought A Bigger Bang was underrated.
    It isnt a new album it's a greatest hits package with two new songs on it
    That's what I meant. I said I was hoping they'd drop a new album instead of another hits package.

  17. #17

  18. #18
    Brad's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    10 Apr 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    17,133
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

    by » Sat December 8th, 2012, 02:45

    THIS performance of Gimme Shelter featuring Florence Welch was absolutely amazing. Fantastic. Brilliant.

    I need a release of this in some form someday.

  19. #19

    by » Fri December 14th, 2012, 23:52

    Still loving Doom And Gloom. Proof that Mick and Keith still have it in them even if its just a one-off for a hits collection.

  20. #20
    Brad's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    10 Apr 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    17,133
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

    by » Fri December 14th, 2012, 23:57

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    Still loving Doom And Gloom. Proof that Mick and Keith still have it in them even if its just a one-off for a hits collection.
    Agreed. One More Shot is also decent. I hope there's a full studio album after this tour.

  21. #21

    by » Sat December 15th, 2012, 00:05

    Quote Originally Posted by RightToDream
    I hope there's a full studio album after this tour.
    Agreed. We did not need another freaking Greatest Hits album. Forty Licks pretty much served the purpose for those who wanted a career-spanning collection, and of course there are collections out there for just the 60's stuff, the 70s stuff, etc... They are hardly a band that people are really holding out for because they need a better GH album for

  22. #22
    Legend
    Join Date
    16 Nov 2011
    Posts
    20,005
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    by » Sun December 16th, 2012, 13:09

    Quote Originally Posted by RightToDream
    THIS performance of Gimme Shelter featuring Florence Welch was absolutely amazing. Fantastic. Brilliant.
    This song is everything in my life.

    Florence was great! Gaga was not really feeling it IMO.

  23. #23
    Brad's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    10 Apr 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    17,133
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

    by » Sun December 16th, 2012, 21:27

    Quote Originally Posted by Wardo
    Quote Originally Posted by RightToDream
    THIS performance of Gimme Shelter featuring Florence Welch was absolutely amazing. Fantastic. Brilliant.
    This song is everything in my life.

    Florence was great! Gaga was not really feeling it IMO.
    Gaga should be embarrassed with what she did to it to be honest.

  24. #24
    Jonathan's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    13 Aug 2008
    Location
    Latin America
    Posts
    12,140
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

    by » Wed March 20th, 2013, 21:32

    http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=804566

    The Rolling Stones will mount an 18-show arena tour in May and June with AEG Live at the promoter helm, sources told Pollstar shortly after the deal was sealed. The exact routing is still being confirmed but an announcement is expected in early April.

    AEG Live takes the reins of the long-rumored tour from Virgin Live, a joint venture formed between Australia’s Paul Dainty and Virgin Group’s Richard Branson last fall to produce and promote the band’s 50th anniversary run.

    Though the Virgin Live venture successfully did the Stones’ brief November and December tour, it appears plans – and likely financing – to remain on board for a more traditional tour fell short.

    Enter AEG Live, which also bid on the earlier tour. It’s not known what kind of financial deal was struck, but it was struck quickly – one source told Pollstar the call from the Stones’ camp came early March 19, and the agreement between the parties came together before anyone had time to call out for lunch.

    If so, it makes a bold statement that it’s business as usual for AEG Live, less than one week after the announcement that parent Anschutz Entertainment Group is off the market and former president/CEO Tim Leiweke had resigned. And with the speed the tour was agreed to, how nimbly it can move when a re-engaged Phil Anschutz is needed to cut a check.

    Dates are still being locked down, but Mick and the boys made it known they are interested in no more than an 18-show, two-month outing, which will happen in May and June. The number of cities isn’t confirmed, other than they will be major markets and the 18 shows will include multiple-night stands.

    It isn’t the first time, of course, The Rolling Stones have switched up promoters between tours, regardless of history. Michael Cohl worked closely with the band for years after winning a promotion deal that the late Bill Graham expected to continue.

    And though it’s not known if Cohl was in the running for the 50th anniversary shows, his separation from Live Nation in 2008 included a provision that his non-compete would not preclude the Canadian promoter and Broadway impresario from making a bid.

    AEG declined to comment. Where this leaves Virgin Live isn’t clear. Dainty, who with Branson formed Virgin Live and continues to run Dainty Corp. from Melbourne, Australia, wasn’t immediately available to comment.

    "There will be a lot more to say about Virgin Live soon but, for now, it’s all about the Stones … ,” Dainty teased in October when the partnership and initial Stones dates were announced, adding that a global force was in the works.

  25. #25
    AndiIversen's Avatar
    Legend
    Join Date
    18 Mar 2012
    Location
    Gold coast / Chicago
    Posts
    18,495
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

    by » Wed July 26th, 2017, 13:00

    Happy 74th Mick! Here's for a 100 more!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •