The Diva
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » Tue August 14th, 2012, 23:03

Quote Originally Posted by crazycool
    Quote Originally Posted by 04wayne
    There's more talented girl groups out there, and a better-selling girl group out there - but I don't thin there's any girl group that equals their short phenomenon!

They were MASSIVE.
    Do you have a list of the best-selling girl groups with sources? Is TLC the best selling overall?

I'm asking out of interest, not to start fan wars
    Spice Girls definitely outsold TLC.

My rough estimations for TLC is around 35 million, but for Spice Girls is over 50 million (albums only).

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue August 14th, 2012, 23:07

actually Wikipedia say Spice Girls are the biggest girl group of all time. I know it's not very trustworthy but they've put sources for all their sales figures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_be ... irl_groups

The Diva
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » Tue August 14th, 2012, 23:09

I'm not sure who exactly would have sold more than them.

Legend
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue August 14th, 2012, 23:09

Yeah I always assumed The Spice Girls were the top-selling, until Wayne mentioned that. I then immediately thought of TLC because I know they have ridiculous sales for a couple of their albums.

Regardless, Spice Girls - THE iconic girl group of all time.

Legend
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue August 14th, 2012, 23:25

1. The Supremes - 85m records sold worldwide
    2. The Spice Girls - 70m records sold worldwide
    3. Destiny's Child - 55m records sold worldwide
    4. TLC - 50m records sold worldwide

^ Only girl groups to have amassed in excess of 50m record sales. Its worth mentioning that DC and TLC sold a similar number of albums, but considerably less than Spice Girls. But both of the aforementioned sold a similar number of singles to the Spice Girls - despite them seemingly coming across as the bigger singles act.

Legend
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue August 14th, 2012, 23:58

I love this group!!! I want them back please! PLEASE!

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 15th, 2012, 01:02

I know it may seem weird, but I would count The Andrews Sisters as girls group too.
    nekoo.cz - follow me

The Diva
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 15th, 2012, 01:06

I wasn't sure how much The Supremes had sold, because records in those days didn't sell huge numbers.

Still, the Spice Girls have done astonishingly well to say they were only successful for 2 years!

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 15th, 2012, 01:10

I never thought that there will come a time that we will still see the Spice Girls altogether! There were the reason why I got hooked on MTV way back in 1996, I just wanted to see all their music videos!!

Legend
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 15th, 2012, 10:33

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits
    I wasn't sure how much The Supremes had sold, because records in those days didn't sell huge numbers.
    Its typified by the fact that they've sold over 4x more singles than the other girl groups, and the other girl groups have sold either twice ]or in the Spice Girls case, over 4x] more albums.

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 15th, 2012, 10:37

^ Only girl groups to have amassed in excess of 50m record sales. Its worth mentioning that DC and TLC sold a similar number of albums, but considerably less than Spice Girls. But both of the aforementioned sold a similar number of singles to the Spice Girls - despite them seemingly coming across as the bigger singles act.
    But then why are DC labeled the "best-selling female group of all time" ?
    ? Girls' Generation ?
    ? HyoYeon ? Britney Spears ?

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 15th, 2012, 10:44

Quote Originally Posted by BeeFan
    is there any chance to see the olympia performance again? ...yt blocked everything for me
    I hope this one works!

Spice Girls 2012 Olympics Closing Ceremony Performance

Legend
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 15th, 2012, 11:29

Quote Originally Posted by joiPrince_JO
    A bit like Nana Mouskouri was once labelled the best-selling female artist of all-time?

Just their label hyping then up - DC have sold less records than Spice Girls and considerably less than the Supremes.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 15th, 2012, 12:52

It's just impressive how the biggest portion of those sales were amassed from 1996 to 1998. I still remember them as MASSIVE. They were not as one of these girls like "The Ketchup" that had a super hit and then fell off the radar. It's impressed how many american girlsbands with far more years of recordings and yet great chart success too couldn't rival the Spices.
    You ain't gotta break down,
    YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

The Diva
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 15th, 2012, 15:06

Record sales were at an all time high in the late 90's. Do you think the Spice Girls benefited from this, or they actually caused it?

Legend
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 15th, 2012, 16:06

Well before Spice Girls it it big, Whitney, Alanis and Celine all had massive albums - Spice Girls were a phenomenon no doubt, but just like everyone else at that time, they benefited.

I don't think any one act is responsible for the 90's sales - certainly not the Spice Girls anyway.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 15th, 2012, 16:22

It would've been nice if all the girls hasn't stopped releasing solo music during the years, Melanie C is the only one who keeps releasing new records.

Victoria's last album was released in 2001, Geri's and Melanie B's in 2005 and Emma's in 2006.

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 15th, 2012, 18:06

Spice fans, you better read this!

Touch: The Spice Girls Timeline
    Courtesy of -Raul- of DenDen Forums UK

Hi all! After some time really busy, I finally could make this. I have re-read all girls' autobiographies and here there are some interesting facts about the formation of Touch, the group that would become our beloved Spice Girls.

Advert Appearance on The Stage: Middle of March 1994
    • In the mid-1990s, father-and-son management team Bob and Chris Herbert together with their financier Chic Murphey placed an advertisement in The Stage for auditions for a girl group, which was suppose to respond and compete with the boy bands that dominated the early 1990s.

The advert that started it all.

First Audition: March 27, 1994
    • About 400 girls who answered the ad went to Dance Works studios. There, they were put into groups of 10 and danced a routine to "Stay" by Eternal. After that, the selection continued and the girls had to sing solo songs.

• Victoria Adams sang "Mein Herr".

• Melanie Brown sang "Greatest Love of All".

• Melanie Chisholm sang "I'm So Excited".

• Michelle Stephenson sang "Don't Be a Stranger".

• After the auditions, the girls got home and waited for some weeks. Geri Halliwell had seen the ad but went skiing in Spain and missed the audition because her face got sunburnt.

Second Audition: Middle of April 1994
    • The girls got a call and were down to the last 12. They went to Nomis Studios, Shepherd's Bush in Wednesday. The chosen girls were Suzanne Tinker (but didn't attend), Melanie Laccohee, Melanie Laccohee, Lianne Morgan, Michelle Stephenson, Melanie Brown, Melanie Chisholm (but didn't attend), Tracey Shield, Victoria Adams, and a few others.

Suzanne Tinker, Melanie Laccohee and Lianne Morgan.

• Geri Halliwell saw the ad after two months, and decided to call. The management let her in to the last 12, so she was one of them. After arriving, the girls had a little solo interview, in which Geri sang "I Wanna Be a Nightclub Queen".

• Melanie Laccohee was chosen initially in the final line-up but in the final audition, she been offered a solo deal. Victoria Adams was her replacement.

• Suzanne Tinker passed the first audition but couldn't attend the second because her train was delayed because of a bomb scare, and she didn't want to go late. She was replaced by Geri Halliwell.

• After the interviews, they were divided in 3 groups of four girls and they created a routine for "Just a Step from Heaven" by Eternal. In one group, they were Victoria, Melanie B, Michelle and Lianne. After a dance, Geri joined and she was taught their dance. Later, they sang solo songs and Melanie B did "Queen of the Night". Those five were told they had been picked while they were having a cup of tea. After the auditions, the girls got home and waited a couple of weeks.

• Melanie C passed the first audition but couldn't attend the second because she had problems with tonsils. Her mum called the management to ask for another chance and they told her they had whittled their choice down to 10 girls, including Melanie. They said if they didn't find the five or if there was one who they were not sure about, they would give Melanie another chance.

Michelle Stephenson, Melanie Chisholm, Tracey Shield, Victoria Adams, Lianne Morgan, Melanie Brown, Melanie Laccohee, Geri Halliwell and Suzanne Tinker were among the 12 final girls selected.

Third Audition: One week later
    • The girls were called and asked to attend a recall. They weren't sure how many girls they wanted. If they had wanted four, one of them would've been picked out. They met again in Nomis Studios.

• Lianne Morgan received a letter and she was told she looked too old for the other girls, and was replaced with Melanie C, from the first audition.

• The girls had learned "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" and sang it on their own and in group. They were finally selected and told they were going to be a band. Sunday of that week, they spent a week on a guest house in Surrey. The first afternoon, they went to Trinity Studios to learn "Take Me Away". Pepi Lemer trained them for the week.

• After that week, they did a showcase for Chic Murphy. Dressed in black and white in different combinations, they sung the song they had prepared "Take Me Away". The girls spent spring and summer rehearsing at a house in Boyne Hill Road, Maidenhead. The two Melanies shared rooms. Victoria and Michelle shared the second bedroom and Geri a little room for herself. They kept on rehearsing on Trinity Studios. They had 3 songs: "We're Gonna Make It Happen", "Take Me Away" and "I Want You, I Need You".

• After a two-week break in summer, Michelle was fired because she didn't fit in. Pepi Lemer, who gave vocal lessons to Touch, remembered two girls she had trained. The first girl who did an audition was Abigail Kis. She just sang a soul song to the management and two days later, she was selected. Abigail decided not to be on the band because she was too young and didn't want to have problems with her boyfriend having to live with the girls for months. The management called 18 year-old Emma Bunton to audition. Emma instantly impressed the Herberts and was invited to meet the group in July, who welcomed her with open arms in which the girls also had an instant connection.

Vocal coach Pepi Lemer invited Abigail Kis and Emma Bunton to audition.

• In July, Emma arrived for a week's trial. In summer and autumn, kept on rehearsing and they wrote their first song together: "It's Just One of Those Days". They persuaded the management to do a mini showcase at Trinity Studios with baby doll dresses, but they needed more work.

The group Touch in a showcase.

• After some months, they changed their name to Spice and another showcase was planned in early November in Nomis Studios. They had a great response from music industry insiders. In Christmas holidays, Geri and Melanie B planned not to sign a contract unless they were sure.

The final line-up of Touch performing "Take Me Away".

Handing of First Contracts: January 1995
    • A few weeks before May, they started working with Matt and Biff. The girls wrote a ballad called "Feed Your Love" and "Wannabe" with Matt and Biff. Victoria wasn't there so she was in the writing process via telephone.

• On the first Sunday of May, Bob Herbert wanted the contracts signed. On Tuesday, they decided to leave. The girls met Elliott Kennedy and wrote "Love Thing" and later, "Say You'll Be There". During that time, they wrote "Something Kinda Funny" with Absolute.

• At the end of May, they signed with Simon Fuller.

Contract Signing with Virgin: 13 July 1995
    • The girls eventually signed with Virgin Records and began their career.

The Spice Girls reunited in the 2012 Olympics closing ceremony.

And the rest is history!
    I just added some of the pictures!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 15th, 2012, 18:35

GetBack, what an interesting article, thanks!

I have the story recorded in Video Cassette.
    Don't Worry, Cause You're Really Not That Hard to Replace.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu August 16th, 2012, 01:00

Quote Originally Posted by joiPrince_JO
    A lot of the time they also count Beyoncθ's solo sales, which is really unfair, because with the Spice Girls they don't.

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu August 16th, 2012, 15:36

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits
    Record sales were at an all time high in the late 90's. Do you think the Spice Girls benefited from this, or they actually caused it?
    When it comes to teen pop revival sales, I must say they did re-open some doors. I remember watching the MTV VMAs in the 1990s and the acts were far from the teen pop and dance music, there was No Doubt, Janet, R. Kelly, Whitney Houston, Marilyn Manson, Alanis Morissette, Jewel, Toni Braxton, Erykah Badu, Celine Dion, Beastie Boys, Jamiroquai, Boyz II Men, Mariah Carey, among many others.

I think it's safe to say that they made it "cool" to be a popstar in the 1990s, because during the 1980s, the likes of Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, Paula Abdul, etc weren't really embraced and were seen as novelty acts (and were eventually dismissed after an album or two). Even at one time, Madonna was seen as a poster girl, and it took re-inventive albums for her to gain such credibility in her artistry.

After the Spice Girls, we got the Backstreet Boys, 'NSYNC, Britney, Christina and of course, now, the many pop acts of today that are selling well are are embraced by the public.

Legend
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu August 16th, 2012, 16:12

Pop music sells because its popular music - I hate how one or two acts are "fingered" for being responsible for an entire genre's success, when actually what makes pop music popular is that there are an amalgamation of sub-genres that contain music for every person.

The Spice Girls undoubtedly made a dent in teen music though, I will agree on that; are they the reason for the Backstreet Boys? I don't think so. The Backstreet Boys sold over 100m records and were a forgotten phenomenon. I actually think that they are more important to the late 90's boom than the Spice Girls.

And even whilst the Spice Girls were at their absolute peak, there were bigger artists selling more records.

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu August 16th, 2012, 16:39

I'm not saying that we should credit everything pop music is today to the Spice Girls or that it's entirely the Spice Girls' fault that's why the Backstreet Boys or Britney Spears or pop music in general sold extremely well afterwards, it's just that, obviously, people "warmed up to the teen pop phenomenon" more than ever as how it was in the 1990s because of the main influence by certain artists. I mean, for example, there wasn't even a Best Pop Video category in the VMAs before 1999, or when was the first time such pop artists were catapulted to be built as powerful marketing brand engines with dolls, endorsements, merchandise and adverts all over?

I think that there will always be artists who came before that will pave the way for the genre (or marketing ploys) to flourish, just like how Whitney Houston paved the way for the "female pop vocal powerhouse songstresses" and "diva ballads" that flourished in 1990s onwards, or how Madonna championed the music video showcase especially for mainstream female artists, or how Michael Jackson paved the way for the Ushers, Timberlakes, Browns and Biebers of today. The music industry is still a business, obviously there are trends that are set and reignited by the artists (and their management).

Legend
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu August 16th, 2012, 16:52

Spice Girls were far more than just their music though weren't they. That's why they're remembered more. They were a great brand.