Thread: Spice Girls

Legend
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu August 16th, 2012, 17:01

Quote Originally Posted by RightToDream
    Spice Girls were far more than just their music though weren't they. That's why they're remembered more. They were a great brand.
    That's precisely the point I would like to make - they were an entertainment phenomena, and those that grew up listening to their music still love them, because they represented a movement.

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu August 16th, 2012, 17:24

I dont think people over here even know who TLC were, unfortunately they flew under the radar bar a couple of hit singles. Spice Girls however were a phenomenon.

The Diva
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » Thu August 16th, 2012, 20:34

It makes me sick when Beyonce fans claim Destiny's Child were bigger than the Spice Girls.

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu August 16th, 2012, 20:36

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits
    It makes me sick when Beyonce fans claim Destiny's Child were bigger than the Spice Girls.
    I thought they were bigger than the Spice Girls! Because many people were saying they were the most-successful girl band of all time...
    ? Girls' Generation ?
    ? HyoYeon ? Britney Spears ?

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu August 16th, 2012, 20:42

They both have their strength's. The Spice Girls have sold more yet Destiny's Child are more talented. But the point is there both massive girl bands that have done a lot for empowering women which is great.

I really enjoyed The Spice Girls performance at the Olympics. It was great to see them all together again.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri August 17th, 2012, 00:02

I've heard rumours that Mel B is keen to get them together again for a reunion tour and they may even do it without Victoria as she's too busy with her fashion career. I for one really hope this isn't true - I think going down that route will tarnish their history. It really needs to be all five or nothing, otherwise it won't be the same.

Personally, and speaking as a Spice Girls fan, I think they should draw a line under the group and finish it on a high after the Olympic closing ceremony and call it a day in terms of performing together as a group. What better way to bow out? I'd rather they were remembered like that than doing an S Club-esque reunion where not all members are present.
    Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri August 17th, 2012, 00:07

Lol no !

I use to be a HUGE fan like 10 years ago !
    TAPOUT or BLACKOUT...

Superstar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri August 17th, 2012, 01:18

Talent is subjective. Sales are not.

Everyone in this days claim to be the "biggest selling _________" (fill space). But the Spice Girls made an undeniable impact. From my childhood, everyone reminds them. On the other hand, I don't know anyone that even remotely remembers Destiny's Child or let alone TLC. At least in my country. Surely in America it might be different.
    You ain't gotta break down,
    YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri August 17th, 2012, 10:01

Quote Originally Posted by BlueScorpion
    Talent is subjective. Sales are not.

Everyone in this days claim to be the "biggest selling _________" (fill space). But the Spice Girls made an undeniable impact. From my childhood, everyone reminds them. On the other hand, I don't know anyone that even remotely remembers Destiny's Child or let alone TLC. At least in my country. Surely in America it might be different.
    Talent is subjective, but in the case of Destiny's Child and The Spice Girls, it fairly obvious that Destiny's Child are more talented. What's subjective is what artist you remember when younger as there's many factor's that can contribute to who you remember the most like what you mentioned what country you live in.
    But what I'm trying to say is how both TSG and DC have had an undeniable impact.

Also, I agree with RockTheBoat if they were to reunite in some way, they have to have all member's and if they can't do that, it's best to end it here on a massive high of the Olympics reunion.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri August 17th, 2012, 10:05

Oh, clearly Spice Girls>>>>>>>.

Let's NOT.

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri August 17th, 2012, 11:38

When it comes to the vocal exhibition and dance technique, obviously Destiny's Child wins, even the Spice Girls themselves admit that they're not the best ones to audition for Touch, but when it comes to the vibe, cultural impact, entertainment value, career highs and X-factor, the Spice Girls definitely have the edge.

The Diva
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

by » Fri August 17th, 2012, 17:33

Destiny's Child were successful during their time, but in terms of impact - not really. In the grand scheme of things, they were just another R&B girl group who happened to produce Beyonce. They didn't do anything new or ground-breaking.

TLC will always have a bigger impact than DC because of the massive 'CrazySexyCool'.

Anyway, getting way off track here...

If the Spice Girls did a reunion tour without VB, it wouldn't be so bad. She's the most interchangeable member anyway. A tour without any of the other girls wouldn't work because they all have such strong personalities and epitomise girl power. But VB seems to have strayed from that (and it's not like she has a huge personality).

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri August 17th, 2012, 17:39

I don't think it would happen without all of them doing it. It's just not the same without all five together. I think that's their biggest strength as a group, they were distinguished individually but are united collectively.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Fri August 17th, 2012, 17:43

No, a reunion, if there will ever be one, SHOULD include all five of them.

Last time I couldn't go because of university but now if they do it I will definitely go.
    Don't Worry, Cause You're Really Not That Hard to Replace.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat August 18th, 2012, 12:52

Destiny's Child were successful during their time, but in terms of impact - not really. In the grand scheme of things, they were just another R&B girl group who happened to produce Beyonce. They didn't do anything new or ground-breaking.

TLC will always have a bigger impact than DC because of the massive 'CrazySexyCool'.

Anyway, getting way off track here...

If the Spice Girls did a reunion tour without VB, it wouldn't be so bad. She's the most interchangeable member anyway. A tour without any of the other girls wouldn't work because they all have such strong personalities and epitomise girl power. But VB seems to have strayed from that (and it's not like she has a huge personality).
    At the end of the day, everyone will have a different opinion regarding who they think has had the biggest impact out of all the girl groups. I mean I could argue that Destiny's Child have had more impact than TLC because now DC are much more remembered/famous than TLC, probably due to DC's member's being much more famous individually, but then you've mentioned that you think TLC have had more of an impact because of CrazySexyCool so it all comes down to how you perceive it.

But I agree this is way off topic now and sorry for contributing to it going off topic.

I would much rather them do a reunion with all member's. It just wouldn't feel the same.

I agree with GetBack's sentence - "they were distinguished individually but are united collectively."

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sat August 18th, 2012, 23:04

The Spice Girls will reunite again in december for the lauch of the musical "Viva Forever" and thats only 4 months away.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun August 19th, 2012, 15:20

+1 Of course not. Spice Girls were a phenomenon! Destiny's Child was a great band and they left us some great songs but by any means they had the impact Spice Girls had. They basically ruled the world from 1996 to 1998.

Legend
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun August 19th, 2012, 15:49

Spice Girls >> DC

No doubt, the girls were unforgettable for us kids in the 90's. Don't start bringing all those rnb chicks into it!
    My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Sun August 19th, 2012, 15:57

Quote Originally Posted by crazycrazy
    Spice Girls >> DC

No doubt, the girls were unforgettable for us kids in the 90's.
    that's true. So bad they failed to release 3rd album in all 5. Their 5 career was extremely short, yet so massively successful.

Legend
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon August 20th, 2012, 03:23

Quote Originally Posted by 04wayne
    1. The Supremes - 85m records sold worldwide
    2. The Spice Girls - 70m records sold worldwide
    3. Destiny's Child - 55m records sold worldwide
    4. TLC - 50m records sold worldwide
    I have no idea where you got that Supremes figure from. It'd be true to say Diana Ross' sales would be around 85m including records with The Supremes but not just The Supremes alone.

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon August 20th, 2012, 13:13

Quote Originally Posted by tada
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycrazy
    Spice Girls >> DC

No doubt, the girls were unforgettable for us kids in the 90's.
    that's true. So bad they failed to release 3rd album in all 5. Their 5 career was extremely short, yet so massively successful.
    5 ? The third about was recorded only by 4 of them.

I still think Forever was their best album, but the sound was just the spice sound people were used to. Forever is their most mature sound, the first two album were spice pop ...
    In one was I love it, but at the other hand it was not good that there is too much Darkchild infulence.
    nekoo.cz - follow me

Superstar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon August 20th, 2012, 14:22

"Forever" is my least favourite album(minus its singles), it's an R'n'B album, a genre I dislike.
    Don't Worry, Cause You're Really Not That Hard to Replace.

Legend
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon August 20th, 2012, 14:28

"If You Wanna Have Some Fun" should have been a single in the Forever album! It's the best track for me, it has the signature Spice feel to it.

Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon August 20th, 2012, 15:12

Quote Originally Posted by NoAngels
    "Forever" is my least favourite album(minus its singles), it's an R'n'B album, a genre I dislike.
    maybe Holler and Tell Me Why might be pop/rnb ... but most of the album is pure pop.

I think Get Down With Me should have been the second single.
    nekoo.cz - follow me

Legend
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu August 23rd, 2012, 20:22

LOVED their Olympics performance, it was as if watching them from 15 years ago. Mel C's energy was infectious, Mel B was really going for it and all of them were true to character. They seemed to be genuinely loving it, even Victoria despite the pout. They brought the house down, so glad they got to perform.