Legend
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    nekoo.cz - follow me

Legend
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

by » Mon September 3rd, 2012, 19:09

R.I.P. Karen Carpenter, she had the voice of an angel.

Legend
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

by » Mon September 3rd, 2012, 21:07

Beauuutiful. <3 Love Karen.
    My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Mon September 3rd, 2012, 21:12

Nice song, though I'm sure that a whole album with songs like these would just be too much...
    Still sad that something like this isn't done anymore - I'm sure it would give a nice contrast to the club songs of today.
    Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

by » Mon September 3rd, 2012, 21:29

Actually The Carpenters had some really good albums and I think a lot of people overlook how solid and diverse their albums were. The "Close To You" album is really good (I actually prefer "We've Only Just Begun" to the main hit). A Song For You, Now And Then, Horizon and Passage are all excellent albums as well IMO, and actually were concept records in a sense.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Mon September 3rd, 2012, 21:32

I grew up with The Carpenters and their songs bring back memories of hearing them when I was a kid.

They had some great songs and Karen's voice is so wonderful and unique - you can instantly tell it's her singing when a song of theirs comes on.
    Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.

Legend
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

by » Mon September 3rd, 2012, 21:33

This is definitely in contention with one of my favourite songs of all time. So beautiful.

Legend
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

by » Mon September 3rd, 2012, 21:39

Karen Carpenter has arguably the most peaceful and tone-perfect voice ever - it is actually a gift from the heavens, unbelievably beautiful.

Anyone, this - whilst being a classic, and probably their definitive track - is one of my least favourite of their singles. They actually have songs that are miles better than this. And as John said, their albums are overlooked as being too adult contemporary or samey, when in actual fact - they exemplify diversity.

by » Mon September 3rd, 2012, 22:02

Quote Originally Posted by 04wayne
    Anyone, this - whilst being a classic, and probably their definitive track - is one of my least favourite of their singles. They actually have songs that are miles better than this. And as John said, their albums are overlooked as being too adult contemporary or samey, when in actual fact - they exemplify diversity.
    Yep, I offer "Passage" to anyone who thinks all their songs are like the singles. They did country, prog rock, reggae and several other genres on that album and the results are actually better than one would expect.

Legend
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

by » Mon September 3rd, 2012, 22:07

Wow I've yet to hear their full albums but I'm intrigued now! Nice to see people exploring albums.
    My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

by » Sun September 16th, 2012, 03:24

Quote Originally Posted by crazycrazy
    Wow I've yet to hear their full albums but I'm intrigued now! Nice to see people exploring albums.
    Yep, all of their albums are good. I know they have a reputation of being a cheese soft rock act but they were a lot more interesting than credit was given. Just take the "Close To You" album from 1970 (which appears on both the 1001 Albums To Hear Before You Die and Rolling Stones' top 500 album list), it has two big hits with the title track and We've Only Just Begun, but when you get beyond the singles, "Crescent Noon" could've been one of Kate Bush's ballads, and "Mr. Guder" could've been done by Tori Amos as one of her "quirky" numbers, and "Another Song" ends up with an extended solo that sounded more like prog-rock than soft rock.

There is a bit of worship for them in certain alternative circles and it comes from the hidden gems in their albums. Richard Carpenter is very underrated as a musician and producer. If they'd come out 20 years later they probably would've fit in more with Tori Amos than they would've the Mariah/Whitney vein

Superstar
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

by » Mon December 24th, 2018, 08:37

definitely one of my favorites! so Beautiful and a classic.

cd/vinyl collection instagram
    http://www.instagram.com/i.love.collecting.cds

Superstar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

by » Mon December 24th, 2018, 18:26

This song is one of my earliest musical memories. I remember hearing it a lot on various television programmes and oldie radio stations when I was a small child. I didn't know who it was for a long time.

Roadie
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    My celebrity crushes : Monika Sedziuviene, Kristina Ivanova (YVA).

Dreamer, you must to visit Lithuania and see/listen a live concert of your YVA strawberries.