Thread: Ace Of Base - Life Is A Flower/Whenever You're Near Me

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Wed September 26th, 2012, 23:39

I've been listening to Ace Of Base a lot lately, the whole back story of Linn leaving and all those ghostly appearances in their later videos etc was lost on me at the time...anyway sorry for rambling...I've always loved Life Is A Flower since it's debut in 1998, but only recently found out that it was completely re-written and renamed for an American release.

Life Is A Flower Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TglFZtgcnrg

Whenever You're Near Me (couldn't find official video but here's the song anyway):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdemSnawHDw[/img]

Legend
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

by Thu September 27th, 2012, 00:42

Interesting, I didn't know that they re-recorded "Life Is A Flower" under a different title for the US.

A few weeks ago I was checking out some Ace Of Base videos on YouTube and found an acoustic version of "Lucky Love" with a different video, again it was especially made for the US market:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwcaPGxiSw0

I had never seen that video before!

"Life Is A Flower" was quite a success in the UK where it reached number 5. It's a nice song, though I prefer the other big single from their "Flowers" album, the remake of Bananarama's "Cruel Summer".

Their fourth studio album, "Da Capo", also included some great singles, namely "Beautiful Morning" and "Unspeakable". Sadly, both songs performed poorly on the charts.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Thu September 27th, 2012, 23:23

Quote Originally Posted by Benny
    Interesting, I didn't know that they re-recorded "Life Is A Flower" under a different title for the US.
    I had no idea either! You learn something new everyday...

I quite like Life Is A Flower, very uplifting song. For me they remind me so much of being a kid in the 90s. I grew up hearing 'The Sign' and 'All That She Wants' - so many memories!
    Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.

by Fri October 5th, 2012, 12:16

Quote Originally Posted by RockTheBoat
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny
    I had no idea either!
    Neither did I!

Always hated that song. But it was that video that got me thinking something was wrong with Linn('s neck?) - she had the least onscreen time than any other member (or video) before.

by Thu May 16th, 2019, 13:39

what an awful choice to change the lyrics for us.. thanks to clive davis!

Superstar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

by Thu May 16th, 2019, 13:54

I only discovered this last year but it's become one of my all time favourites. It puts you in a great mood for the rest of the day and makes you appreciate things a bit more. WE LIVE IN A FREEEEE WORLD!