Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Jackson - Thriller

by » Fri November 30th, 2012, 06:21

Surprised this album didn't have a thread in Retro as all the others did.

Today (Nov 30) marks the 30th anniversary of the release of the album that changed pop music and music videos forever. Still a timeless classic

by » Sat December 1st, 2012, 04:50

30 years of pure greatness! No album will ever beat the impact of "Thriller" in music.
    vulnicura.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Sat December 1st, 2012, 05:10

Thriller is just good from start to finish, something you rarely find.

Michael and Quincy worked hard together to pull off a mind blower. They wanted to it eclipse Off The Wall and that's exactly what happened. 37 weeks at #1 in the US and 20 million units shipped in almost 2 years after its release. That's pure hysteria.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Sat December 1st, 2012, 05:42

Quote Originally Posted by KevinScream
    30 years of pure greatness! No album will ever beat the impact of "Thriller" in music.
    This!
    "Your actions speak louder than promises/You're inclined to make and inclined to break"

Superstar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

by » Sat December 1st, 2012, 17:38

Masterpiece!! ..and P.Y.T still has a special place in my heart

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Sat December 1st, 2012, 17:45

Not his best, but not his worst either.
    Some people believe in God, I believe in music. Some people pray, I turn up the radio.

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

by » Sun December 2nd, 2012, 00:30

Can't believe there wasn't already a thread for this. I think it goes without saying that it's basically a masterpiece.

I love every single track except for 'The Girl Is Mine', which I can't stand. It just doesn't fit in with the rest of the record or stand up to the brilliance of the likes of 'Billie Jean'.

by » Sun December 2nd, 2012, 01:03

Yea, in hindsight it was odd that of all the songs on the album, Epic released The Girl Is Mine as the leadoff. But Paul McCartney was having a really hot year in 1982 and the idea of two superstars working together was like printing money, even though it was Billie Jean that really pushed the album over the top.

Legend
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

by » Sun December 2nd, 2012, 01:36

I'd love to be my age now (22) and live through this era.

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

by » Tue December 4th, 2012, 00:30

I actually prefer Bad. And I think so does the UK in general, based on sales. Thriller had brilliant songs like BJ, Beat It, Wanna Be Starting Something but also dull stuff like PYT, Human Nature and the aforementioned duet.
    Let's have a second referendum

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Tue December 4th, 2012, 00:37

The thing is no one probably will ever deliver an out-of-this-world back to back song&video trio like Billie Jean - Beat It - Thriller!

That's why this album will remain unique whatever chart success other albums may achieve in the future

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Tue December 4th, 2012, 13:13

Quote Originally Posted by Play
    The thing is no one probably will ever deliver an out-of-this-world back to back song&video trio like Billie Jean - Beat It - Thriller!

That's why this album will remain unique whatever chart success other albums may achieve in the future
    Word!
    Some people believe in God, I believe in music. Some people pray, I turn up the radio.

by » Wed December 5th, 2012, 20:59

Quote Originally Posted by Play
    Exactly, those three songs back to back on the album are one of the greatest 1-2-3 punches on ANY album, and of course the videos cemented MJ as the king of pop.

by » Wed December 5th, 2012, 21:00

Quote Originally Posted by potojr
    I actually prefer Bad. And I think so does the UK in general, based on sales. Thriller had brilliant songs like BJ, Beat It, Wanna Be Starting Something but also dull stuff like PYT, Human Nature and the aforementioned duet.
    PYT and Human Nature are great, so much better than The Girl Is Mine, the worst of the Paul/MJ songs IMO

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Wed December 5th, 2012, 21:10

Quote Originally Posted by NothingFails
    Quote Originally Posted by potojr
    PYT and Human Nature are great, so much better than The Girl Is Mine, the worst of the Paul/MJ songs IMO
    "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)" is funky and "Human Nature" is gorgeous, but I also prefer "Bad". It's just much stronger album as a whole.

by » Thu December 6th, 2012, 16:51

Quote Originally Posted by WolfSpear
    Thriller is just good from start to finish, something you rarely find.
    True, I dont usually buy full abums cos I usually like only some songs on them, but this one is pure genius from start to finish!

by » Sun December 16th, 2012, 16:42

I love The Girl is Mine I prefer Dangerous to Thriller.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

by » Mon December 17th, 2012, 19:23

Classic, but I prefer "Bad" to this

Superstar
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

by » Tue December 18th, 2012, 05:10

This album is a greatest hits on its own.

<3
    You ain't gotta break down,
    YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"

Legend
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

by » Thu January 3rd, 2013, 13:52

Quote Originally Posted by grooveboy
    Classic, but I prefer "Bad" to this
    | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Sat November 30th, 2013, 21:52

TODAY MARKS THE 31ST ANNIVERSARY OF THRILLR: The best selling album of all time.

One of the most glorious & successfull eras of all time (8 Grammys, three iconic videos, three iconic suits, the moonwalk, 1 million sold per week!!)
    One of the most influential & important albums of all time, critics often shade this and I have no clue, it's very important for any musician.

I noticed that like, from Off The Wall to Thriller, there is no BIG difference BUT on these 3 songs (Billie Jean, Beat It, Thriller), WSS, Baby be Mine, PYT...etc are like any song on OTW (have disco/funk influences, with a slight R&B touch).. while Beat It is rock, Billie Jean is a dance pop R&B theme, Thriller is another type of funk.. these three songs are also different lyrically from other songs, they were more like MJ's first time to master the horror/anger/thriller persona which was later incomporated in his 90's work, Beat It is about gangsters, Billie Jean about a gold digging groupie, Thriller about zombies and horrifying nights... It's a new lyrical shit MJ got into.. which is an evolution from his OTW lyrical work that was mainly about love & passion... and I love also that he kinda never went for sexual lyrics, not that I don't like them, but it was a nice difference since most 80's acts sang about sex endlessly.. its like MJ puts a body of work, but inside that body, there are songs that are hints for his future work (See Bad how its similar to Thriller but Smooth Criminal & Speed Demon..etc are songs with tone he never tried before but yet he used it in Dangerous).

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Thu April 17th, 2014, 02:18

All of the songs on this are great but this is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo overrated, Bad is a much better record.

Legend
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

by » Thu April 17th, 2014, 13:01

It's a good album, but I prefer Bad and Dangerous
    I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

by » Tue April 22nd, 2014, 20:29

I still prefer Thriller but I know many people seem to prefer Bad or even Off The Wall.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Wed April 30th, 2014, 14:33

you have a spare 40 minutes, you listen to thriller, its as simple as that