Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad

Legend
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)

by » Sat December 29th, 2012, 00:58

I'm surprised there's never been a thread for this show on here!

OK so I only started watching it last month from the beginning and I've been hooked. In that time I've got up to the beginning of season 4 and hope to be completely up to date by sometime in January. I believe it's almost near the end of season 5 at the moment, I haven't looked for sure to avoid spoilers.

Walt is amazing, his character has progressed so well through the seasons. When he ran those two dealers down in his car to save Jesse and then ordered him to kill Gale you could see just how determined he'd got and how his perspective on life has changed.

Favourite scenes so far are in season 1 the dissolving of the body, it was so grim but fascinating. Loved the episode where Tuco kidnapped them and his creepy old dad was ringing the bell, then the shoot-out with Hank. Best yet though has to be Hank destroying those two cartel twins when they tried to kill him in the car park, getting shot twice but still managing to win! Hank's a character I sometimes love but sometimes he can be really irritating.

I've just watched the episode where Gus has slit Victor's throat in front of Walt and Jesse, he's turned from a gentle charming guy into a full blown psycho, really can't wait to see where the season heads next.

Skyler is a total MILF and Walter Junior aka "Flynn" has to be the most annoying character. I used to hate Marie but she's really amusing now.

So does anybody else watch it?

Legend
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

by » Sat December 29th, 2012, 01:07

Everyone talks wonders about this series so I obviously had to start watching it. I'm still on Season 1 though, I'm really lazy and haven't had the proper time. (I'm also still finishing watching Lost)

Sorry Thriller, but I didn't bother reading your entire text because I was afraid it could contain some spoilers, therefore I just skipped it!
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Legend
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

by » Sat December 29th, 2012, 01:12

Gus is one of the greatest characters ever to be created for a television show. He's so haunting and intimidating, yet quiet and composed. Maybe that's the reason.

It's a great TV show, but not the best by a long shot IMO. I'm at the first few episodes of series 5 but apparently the 5th series is split into 2. There's 8 episodes in the first part and I think 8 in the second half (so basically 2 series). Aaron Paul wrote on his Twitter recently that he's only just read the script to the finale so it'll be a long time coming I'd say.

I agree with Walt, he's such an amazing character! I love the fact the actor was in Malcolm in the Middle because it really shows his acting abilities. Such a contrast!

But yes, great TV show, especially the latter part of season 4!

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Sat December 29th, 2012, 02:07

Love this show, I stopped after the season 3 finale so I need to catch up! I already have all the blu rays, so I just need to find the time
    I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(?)_/¯

Legend
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)

by » Mon December 31st, 2012, 01:13

I haven't read the replies just in case of spoilers but I've whizzed through season 4 and OH MY GOD it was amazing, such a strong season.

The penultimate episode was gripping when Walt planted the car bomb and was waiting for Gus to get in it.

But the finale itself was just sensational, simply one of the best episodes of TV I've ever watched. The whole plot with old man Salamanca was genius, I was wondering how he'd surprise Gus and then remembered he'd made a previous bomb so may have rigged the room. LOVED Hector's face at the end when he finally looked Gus in the eye and started ringing the bell, he was a hilarious character. When Gus walked out the room I was like "nooo he can't be still alive!" and then the camera pans around and half his head is missing... just brilliant, a great pay off.

So clever too how Walt managed to manipulate Jesse by using the lily of the valley berries to poison Brock, loved that final twist. He's brilliant, can't wait to begin season 5 now!

Legend
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)

by » Tue January 1st, 2013, 19:05

OK so I'm completely up to date!

SEASON 5 SPOILERS

I thought this season was a little slow at first, after season 4 it had a lot to live up to. The episode with the train robbery was great and the end scene in that was shocking. Walt's character seems to have hardened even further in this season, didn't expect him to shoot Mike!

As for the mid-season finale, well the only place they could go now Walt's home and dry and rolling in the money is for Hank to find out and it all to come tumbling down. The prison hit scenes were great. The last 8 episodes will hopefully be brilliant, can't wait to see how it all turns out! I'm expecting him to commit suicide but who knows!? Will he kill Hank to protect his family's future?

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Sun April 28th, 2013, 20:42

I just started watching online after resisting for ages - it was in that excellent Alan Yentob documentary on Saturdays about US TV history.

Up to episode three next. It's very good - some jawdropping scenes - the bathtub disaster and that whole episode were black comedy at its best!

There are four entries on the UK TV Video chart! A record for the show, i think! Season 5 is out very soon. http://www.officialcharts.com/tv-on-video-chart/
    Why no UK channel wants it is utterly baffling given the acclaim and success in America and in Box Set sales. But now that Louie and Parks and Recreation are being caught up by TV maybe it will happen.

Legend
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)

by » Sun April 28th, 2013, 21:57

I cannot wait for the second installment of season 5 starting in August!

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Mon May 6th, 2013, 18:44

Wow. Season 2's second ep is just as classic as Season 1's second! I wonder if this will be a trend?
    It was like Tarantino with the knife-edge tension and humour.

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Tue May 14th, 2013, 22:34

On to Season Three ep three next. The surrealism every now and then is just great! The severed head on a turtle! The plane crash / teddy thing! The additional Minisodes are worth checking out, too: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... -EWkQE0k2c

And the addition of the three new regular stars is welcome - the lawyer, the cleaner (a la Harvey Keitel from Pulp Fiction!) and the enigmatic Pollos guy.

Still don't get how Betsy Brandt managed to get a main co-credit as Marie when her total screen time must be barely 45 minutes in the whole 5 seasons! Who'd she suck?

PS: sad to see Krysten Ritter gone already. She was wasted in that Don't Trust The B----

Legend
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)

by » Wed May 15th, 2013, 00:33

Yeah Jane's death was kinda sad but I would've probably done the same as Walt. I love how that ended up being the reason behind the plane crash!

The head on the turtle was amazing

Have you seen Hank and his second shoot-out yet? Even better than the first one!

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Thu May 16th, 2013, 01:48

Not yet.

I read on DS forums that FX showed series one here then dropped it. Five USA then showed the first two series and dropped it. How could you leave it hanging after a finale like that??
    I don't recall any of this. Or did i just not realise all the acclaim till the last two years and blind myself to this?

Apparently, the reason it's not been picked up by anyone else is the lack of viewers on those channels and Sony are charging way too much based on the awards it has won so no-one will take a risk on it. Netflix has premiere rights currently.

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Thu May 16th, 2013, 05:58

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller

Have you seen Hank and his second shoot-out yet? Even better than the first one!
    Yes!

I have to go to bed but i don't want to! You finish one ep and you just can't wait! But seriously... i will

Manager
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

by » Thu May 16th, 2013, 06:34

Great thinking whoever made a thread for this! Breaking Bad is one of the best TV shows going! I can't wait til it starts up again for the finale, but at the same time I'm kind of disappointed that its ending

For the folks still working through the seasons just to say that most people (well me and some friends) agree that it starts to go off the rails a little in one of the seasons - can't remember which - but stick with it because it picks up again and season 5 is ridiculously good

Legend
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)

by » Thu May 16th, 2013, 16:58

Season 4 is quite action-packed and more like watching a Hollywood thriller at times but the finale is such a huge pay off!

Loved Hank against the Salamanca cousins, he's my favourite character alongside Mike.

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Thu May 16th, 2013, 19:57

Mike is awesome! Jonathan Banks has been in numerous things and you wouldn't know it! Airplane, Beverly Hills Cop, Gremlins to name but three...

Gus - Giancarlo Esposito i knew was a great actor. I have to say for performances - so far - Aaron Paul and Anna Gunn are the best - because they have to react to Walt they get more to do emotionally and he's had some amazing comebacks - her "i f**ked Ted" and Jesse's bed rant. Bryan Cranston has a tough job though with that role.

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Sat May 18th, 2013, 17:00

Watched up to Season 4 ep 2 - where Mike punched Walt.

"Fly" is probably the single best ep so far - pant-wettingly funny and then heartbreaking. When Walt was confessing about Jane i really thought Jesse would twig.

And then the Gale situation - . Holy sh*it! This is where the Breaking Bad concept takes on a new dimension of bad. This is non-negotiable Straight-To-Hell f*ckery our two heroes have committed there. Gale might as well have been Mother Theresa compared to the rest of the people they've offed. And Gus - that was off-the-scale tense / terrifying / WTF?? I knew he'd knife Victor just before he did so but it was a shock all the same.

And Skyler is ridiculously sexy now she's turned "bad" as well and got properly involved.

Legend
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)

by » Mon May 20th, 2013, 16:35

I know a few people who hated "Fly" because it was so different to other episodes. I didn't dislike it but I was kinda waiting for it to end.

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Wed May 22nd, 2013, 18:27

I'm done!

Wow and at Gus' demise! Damn shame to see Mike go after his greatest run in the show in the fifth season. :(
    Pretty sure he's one of my top 5 alltime TV characters now.
    Slightly odd how Skyler suddenly went from loving him again briefly to being scared of him - i mean, gradual descent into madness is more believable, i thought she was becoming like Carmela Soprano in Season Four - seems not. :-?
    He always said he was looking after her and his family - i never bought the bravado and slight threats he gave her. But then again she's related to scatterbrain kleptomaniac Marie and women are unpredictable, i suppose!

Laura Fraser! With a Yank accent! I used to love her when she broke out in UK TV - wasn't expecting her to be in this! She will obviously die somehow. Walt had Ricin under his hat, right at their meeting?

Hank finding out so randomly was a nice subtle but no less exciting finale - weirdly the Season Four finale seemed like an actual ending unlike all the rest where thankfully i didn't have to bite my knuckles for an entire year waiting to find out what happened next!
    But.. holy crap! Walt got Brock the kid ill with Lily of the Valley and made Jesse think it was Ricin - - just to get him back on side.
    Another subtle reveal that i hope everyone got.

And there's not just Hank to deal with now, Walt made that deal with those "distributors" - he can't just pull the plug on it.

Oh and it's quite annoying how they have to censor the f word and nudity when it's OK to show extreme violence and drug-taking. I take it the box sets are uncut?

Legend
    Mentioned
    261 Post(s)

by » Wed May 22nd, 2013, 19:24

I watched it on Netflix and don't remember any censoring thankfully.

The Lily of the Valley thing was so so brilliant. I loved the attempted car park assassination scenes around that time too.

Yeah the season 4 finale was just perfect, everything you'd want from a finale including the villain getting his face blown off

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Wed May 22nd, 2013, 19:54

Well i noticed they keep the worst curse words to a minimum and it's OK to say "sh*t" and similar but not those ones!

Not signed up to Netflix. I might rewatch it - the last Season at least. Wasn't that prevalent before that - the pilot had both female breasts and an a f word censored.

Cranston is partly responsible for a song climbing iTunes right now. A n 18-year-old singer just died of cancer on Monday and his song is top 20. Cranston was part of a celeb tribute video for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zxXAtmmLLc

Legend
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

by » Mon June 3rd, 2013, 18:28

S5 pt 1 box set is out. Looked at the back - lots of extras including commentaries on every episode. The content warning is a bit too specific - telling you there's a suicide scene. Like, can't they just include that under "violence"?

Walt and Jesse were a question on Pointless today! Scored 3 points in a TV duos round - some cool dude got it straight away.