Thread: The Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin - Sales

by Sat May 4th, 2013, 01:39

I've seen a thread similar to this (Pink Floyd vs. Led Zeppelin). I wonder which artist has sold more records worldwide. In the US, Zeppelin has a comfortable win (75M for the Stones vs. 99.5M for Zeppelin). Since 1991, Zeppelin has sold over 25 mllion records in the US. The Rolling Stones have sold slightly more (27-28) but don't forget that Zeppelin disbanded in 1980.

by Sat May 4th, 2013, 10:49

Quote Originally Posted by EVH
    I've seen a thread similar to this (Pink Floyd vs. Led Zeppelin). I wonder which artist has sold more records worldwide. In the US, Zeppelin has a comfortable win (75M for the Stones vs. 99.5M for Zeppelin). Since 1991, Zeppelin has sold over 25 mllion records in the US. The Rolling Stones have sold slightly more (27-28) but don't forget that Zeppelin disbanded in 1980.
    The Stones are ahead worldwide,(roughly 200 million) but they made more than 70 albums.Led Zep have the most important average sales by album,compared to any other acts in history.I wonder how they could have sold if they were still in acticity...
    priestmaniac

by Sat May 4th, 2013, 11:07

Atalantic officials said that Led Zep outsold the Stones by two during the seventies (concerning albums of course).But because of their big singles sales the Stones were ,are and will always be more popular.
    priestmaniac

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Sat May 4th, 2013, 18:05

Quote Originally Posted by EVH
    Considering the Stones have probably 4X the official releases and have been active for like 50 years, it is amazing Zeppelin even comes close if not surpasses the Stones in album sales.

"Some Girls" sales, Stones biggest sellers may have been surpassed by about 6 Zeppelin albums.

While "Let it Bleed","Sticky Fingers", and "Exile and Main Street" artistically rivalled Zeppelin IV,II,Physical Graffitti they were nowhere near the sales of said Zeppelin albums

Manager
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by Sat May 4th, 2013, 20:57

From

https://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21747&start=0

Regarding US album sales, the riaa currently says

Led Zep - 111.5 million
    Stones - 66.5 million

This includes all those multi-disc sets. Taking these out, the audited actual number of albums shipped is

Led Zep - 89.46 million
    Stones - 57.167 million

Using Certification dates and soundscan, it is possible to estimate the total shipments of both bands since 1969 and 1964 respectively

Led Zep - 103 million
    Stones - 80 million

However, in some ways it is like comparing Chalk and Cheese. Their music is very different and The Stones were very much a singles band in a way Led Zep never were.

Research has shown that Led Zep appeal much more to younger buyers who tend to view the Stones as old-fashioned. They might go to one of their concerts out of curiousity but won't necessarily buy any of their albums.

While we don't have any way of accurately estimating Worldwide sales, logic, charts and touring indicate that Led Zep sold more albums than The Stones. I think if you double US sales to 206 million for Led Zep and 160 million for The Stones, then you have as good an estimate for Worldwide sales as it is possible to come up with.

Their Soundscan totals since 1991 are surprisingly similar - Led Zep have just passed 25 million and The Stones are likely somewhere between 26 and 27 million.

The real winners in the Soundscan Era are Pink Floyd.
    See Page One of my threads for all updates

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by Sun May 5th, 2013, 14:45

One thing is for sure throughout Led Zep's active career they completly outsold the Rolling Stones in albums worldwide ,completly.
    You can never have enough luxury lemon drizzle cake