Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bee Gees

Legend
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

by » Sun July 14th, 2013, 21:15

Can't believe there's no thread for them yet.

I've rediscovered them after a TV special a few weeks ago and have listened a lot to their music since then. They are my second favourite pop group of all time after ABBA. The amount of great songs they have is incredible (from their beginnings in the 60s to disco in the 70s to pure pop in the 80s and 90s), my favourite ones are:

1960s:
    - I Started A Joke
    - New York Mining Disaster 1941
    - I've Got To Get A Message To You
    - Massachusetts
    - Don't Forget To Remember

1970s:
    - How Deep Is Your Love
    - Tragedy
    - Stayin' Alive
    - Nights On Broadway
    - Night Fever

1980s & 1990s:
    - You Win Again
    - Immortality (with Céline Dion)
    - Alone
    - Secret Love
    - For Whom The Bell Tolls

Songs they wrote for other artists:
    - Woman In Love
    - Heartbreaker
    - Chain Reaction
    - Islands In The Stream
    - Emotion

Legend
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

by » Sun July 14th, 2013, 21:48

Thank you!

This amazing band is always overlooked, so many albums and so many jewels in their discog!

My favorite albums might be Odessa, "Spirits", BG's 1st and of course the first 2 Greatest Hits and i forgot how many times i've played Here at last BG live...

i also love the SNF sdtk of course such a classic even if some tracks were not by them (and which i think might be undercertified btw)

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2013, 01:52

Aww, my Bee Gees got a thread. Awesome. Thanks Benny.

The Brothers Gibb are far and away my favorite band of all time. And although I spend most of my time in the Mariah thread I can say without hesitation that they are also my all time favorite music act. Their first US hit came out the year I was born so they've been the soundtrack of my life. I own every album and love every single one. After McCartney and Lennon the brothers are the most gifted and prolific songwriters of all time.

I can't even start on my favorite songs. Just too many. But "Love So Right" is probably my favorite ballad. "Stayin' Alive" my favorite uptemp. I've been really appreciating the little gem "Wildflower" from the Living Eyes album lately. I think Main Course is probably my favorite album by a hair. Spirits is amazing too.

Legend
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2013, 09:14

Quote Originally Posted by CasualFlow
    After McCartney and Lennon the brothers are the most gifted and prolific songwriters of all time.
    Yes, they've written so many fantastic songs, among them 51 (!) UK top 10 singles.

by » Tue July 16th, 2013, 15:42

FINALLY the legendary BEE GEES get a thread of their own...I love & have ALL of their albums including Andy and Robin Gibb's solo albums.Their harmonies were out of this world.They are definitely in my top 5 favorites of all time.it was Just a month ago my friends said they didn't know who they were & i had to play them the Greatest Hits cd & now they can't get over them ..Favorite songs:-

1.Rings Around The Moon (if you've never heard this song,look for it,i swear you'll be amazed)

2.Stayin Alive (who doesn't love this song????)

3.You Win Again (The heavy drums,the lyrics,the vocals=pure perfection)

4.Too Much Heaven (You think you've heard falsetto at it's finest?wait til you hear this song)

5.How Deep Is Your Love (This song takes me places,i dare you to listen to it with your eyes open,lol)

6.Massachussetts (I swear Robin was so underrated..Is this still their bestselling hit worldwide?)

7.Heartbreaker (Bee Gees version...Listen to those harmonies.The chorus alone will make you stan forever)

Legend
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2013, 16:21

They are brilliant songwriters. But I'm not such a big fan of them vocal wise.
    Therefor I prefer other singing their songs:

1. Too Much Heaven / Jordan Hill (it's like Toni Braxton going Bee Gees, brilliant!)

2. Eaten Alive / Diana Ross (love the whole album, her best IMO)

3. Immortality / Celine Dion (goosebumps all over, such a classic song)

4. Islands In The Stream / Kenny & Dolly

5. Guilty and Guilty Pleasures / Barbra Streisand (my two favorite Barbra albums)

6. Heartbreaker / Dionne Warwick

7. How Deep Is Your Love / Take That
    My Instagram... - Click here

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2013, 16:27

The only song by them I like is You Win Again.

by » Tue July 16th, 2013, 16:28

I love "Bee Gees" they have insanely good music.

and so many classics.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    You don't like "How deep is your love"?
    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2013, 16:31

Quote Originally Posted by MrLeonix
    Nope.

by » Tue July 16th, 2013, 20:33

^^^^just go Listen to their greatest hits album then we'll talk ;-) ...i refuse to believe anyone can listen to the Bee Gees and still not like their music...With disco,pop rock,pop,RnB,rock n roll,blue eyed soul genres covered extensively in their brilliant career,i'm sure there must be alot of their songs you would love

Legend
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2013, 20:36

I've heard them all my life. I don't need to listen to their greatest hits.

Legend
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

by » Tue July 16th, 2013, 20:55

Love quite a few from them.

Off topic but I love when Anastacia did this performance.
    Anastacia - You Should Be Dancing (Live)
    My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Sat July 20th, 2013, 02:28

Quote Originally Posted by RayRay
    2. Eaten Alive / Diana Ross (love the whole album, her best IMO)
    And we had Michael on it too. I nearly died when I heard Barry and Michael together on Eaten Alive. Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by DOSSOME
    FINALLY the legendary BEE GEES get a thread of their own...I love & have ALL of their albums including Andy and Robin Gibb's solo albums.Their harmonies were out of this world.They are definitely in my top 5 favorites of all time.it was Just a month ago my friends said they didn't know who they were & i had to play them the Greatest Hits cd & now they can't get over them ..Favorite songs:-

1.Rings Around The Moon (if you've never heard this song,look for it,i swear you'll be amazed)
    This video of Robin's funeral featuring this song is heartbreaking....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxidUnjXzHE

Quote Originally Posted by MrLeonix
    Nope.
    There's no accounting for taste.

by » Sun July 28th, 2013, 14:16

OMG...The first time i watched this video i cried.There's something about Robin's voice that just melts you :(

by » Wed September 4th, 2013, 06:22

Those who don't like the Bee Gees or ABBA will be fined.

I grew up with "I started a joke" and "How deep is your love?"

by » Wed September 4th, 2013, 06:25

OMG...The first time i watched this video i cried.There's something about Robin's voice that just melts you :(
    It is a rare tone like Mariah's.
    I mean no one can sing the words "Feel I'm going back..." like he did. His tone of voice is undoubtedly likeable.

by » Thu September 19th, 2013, 22:09

I always go back to my Bee Gees everytime i need music to lift me

by » Wed September 23rd, 2015, 10:29

I heard Alone and Words this week.They still slay.I love these guys and really miss them RIP Robin,Maurice and Andy

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

by » Fri November 27th, 2015, 16:57

This is not the Beegees but honestly, everytime I listen to it, it REEKS of the BeeGees, from the song melody and the backing vocals. Also, it's by the BeeGee's fellow Aussie, Olivia. If you like the BeeGees, I'm pretty sure you would like this.

by » Tue February 9th, 2016, 00:51

Love So Right is such a beautiful song....literally can't get enough of it

by » Tue May 10th, 2016, 16:55

Don't Forget To Remember Me and Tragedy all the way baby

by » Sat August 13th, 2016, 23:09

Barbara Gibb, Mother of the Bee Gees & Andy Gibb, Dies at 95

Barbara Gibb passed away at the age of 95 in Miami on Friday night (Aug. 12). She was the mother of Barry, Robin and Maurice Gibb (who performed together as the Bee Gees), as well as Andy Gibb.

Gibb -- who also has a daughter, Lesley – was with family and friends when she died, according to a statement issued by Barry Gibbs’ publicist.

She had lived in Miami for the past 20 years, but she was born in Manchester, England, as Barbara Mary Pass on Nov. 17, 1920. Barbara married Hugh Gibb, with whom she had five children. Together, Barbara and Hugh managed their sons’ early careers. The Bee Gees went on to sell more than 200 million records worldwide, and Andy had a successful solo career with several top 10 singles.

Sadly, three of her five children passed away during her lifetime. Andy Gibb died in 1988 at the age of 30 from the heart condition myocarditis. Maurice Gibb died in 2003 at age 53 due to complications of a twisted intestine, and his twin, Robin Gibb, died in 2012 at age 62 from liver and kidney failure after battling cancer.

While funeral services will remain private, donations in Barbara Gibb’s name can be made to the Diabetes Research Institute Foundation: 200 South Park Road, Suite 200, Hollywood, Florida 33021; 1-800-321-3437; or here

R.I.P.[*]

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... -gibb-dead
    Whitney Houston

by » Sun August 14th, 2016, 16:19

RIP Ma....She's really gone through so much.Losing a spouse and three kids is too much to go through in a lifetime..condolences to Barry,Lesley and the rest of the family :(

by » Fri August 19th, 2016, 23:11

Bee Gees' Barry Gibb Announces First-Ever Solo Album 'In The Now'

The project is due October 7.

Former Bee Gees legend and Grammy Award winning singer/songwriter and producer Barry Gibb today announces his first solo album involving new material, In The Now, set for release on October 7 via Columbia Records.
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... in-the-now
    Whitney Houston

by » Sat August 20th, 2016, 19:42

Definitely gonna be buying it when it drops...That album cover makes me quite sad though,I've been so used to see him at the centre of every pic with Robin & Maurice by his side