User Tag List

Thread: Jeff Buckley

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 7th, 2013, 02:34

A topic to discuss a man who, like Amy Winehouse, died way before his time and who also left quite the musical legacy despite a small output, inspiring and influencing many musicians both past & current in the process.

I admit I've been thinking about him a bit lately, maybe because that movie Greetings From Tim Buckley (starring Penn Badgley as Jeff) has just come out here. Was listening to his So Real: The Best of last night (I confess I don't own Grace, but most of that album is on the collection anyway, amongst others) & wondered about what might've been had he not drowned in a part of the Mississippi river 16 years ago. I wonder what his other albums would've been like had he lived and recorded more music. I also wish I'd been born earlier so I could've seen him live, because I think he would've been quite the sight to behold.

The man had an exquisite voice IMO & some great lyrics too. I'm always envious of any bloke who can sing higher than I can & Jeff was/is one of them. May he RIP.

Consider this an education...or a chance for me to post my faves:

Last Goodbye
    Lover, You Should've Come Over
    Forget Her (???? the line "Don't fool yourself/She was heartache from the moment you met her")
    Everybody Here Wants You (probably my favourite song...sooooooooo sensual & sexy)
    Grace
    Halleujah (simply one of the best covers ever IMO)
    Let's embrace the point of no return.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 7th, 2013, 02:43

I like what I hear from your links. I must check his albums.

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 7th, 2013, 02:51

There's only really Grace to check out, or the mixed batch of stuff that made up his 2nd Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk, which he'd been recording at the time of his death. That ended up being a collection of what he'd already recorded + some live stuff I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 7th, 2013, 10:01

i love his stuff lover you should come over is my favorite

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 7th, 2013, 10:47

Quote Originally Posted by Wardo
    I like what I hear from your links. I must check his albums.

You better! He was one hell of a guy. My favorite male singer ever, no doubts. Everbody Here Wants You will always remain the most beautiful song in thr whole wide world.
    Pleasure over matter.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 7th, 2013, 12:39

Shell, I guess that's what it takes to make me return to Ukmix!

I just LOVE Jeff Buckley. His songs has played a key role for me when I was going after a girl I liked and his lyrics made me realize so many things that I felt that I actually matured while listening to this heavenly man!

Especially the tunes Lover You Should've Come Over and Everybody Here Wants You are masterpieces

Last but not least, if anyone used to watch The O.C. back then you should remember Marissa's death scene in which Hallelujah is heard

Legend
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 7th, 2013, 13:07

Play <3 Welcome back, happy you're here man
    Pleasure over matter.

Legend
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Wed August 7th, 2013, 13:48

Quote Originally Posted by Play
    Shell, I guess that's what it takes to make me return to Ukmix!
    Well if that's what it takes, I'm bloody glad you're back!

Especially the tunes Lover You Should've Come Over and Everybody Here Wants You are masterpieces
    Totally agree. I've got into Lover... more as I've got older, but Everybody Here Wants You had been a fave for a while, ever since I first discovered it at random whilst waiting for a gig to begin one night, many moons ago. (It was played over the loudspeaker.)

Last but not least, if anyone used to watch The O.C. back then you should remember Marissa's death scene in which Hallelujah is heard
    I think that cover really helped seal the deal as far as getting into his stuff was concerned. I was a fan of that show at the time, thought (and still think) it was such a beautiful cover.

Legend
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu February 28th, 2019, 20:59

Seven unreleased Jeff Buckley studio performances will be collected in a new release called In Transition. Recorded during his first studio session for Columbia Records in 1993, the release includes early versions of songs from his lone LP, Grace, as well as a unique interpretation of Nina Simone’s “If You Knew” and an early rendition of his iconic “Hallelujah” cover. Limited to 3,000 copies.
    https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/10562