User Tag List

Thread: Reign

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Mon October 21st, 2013, 18:24

Quite surprising for The CW to commission a historical show like this, a far cry from their normal surplus of angsty love dramas (though this does essentially have those elements too).

I actually really enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I thought the lead actress was dreadful when she was in Neighbours, slightly better in The Purge and pretty decent in this. Oddly enough, Caitlin Stasey (who plays one of the ladies-in-waiting) acted rings around Adelaide Kane when they were in Neighbours and single-handedly made Tomorrow When The War Began a decent film. That being said the supporting cast seem pretty decent.

The music's a bit off-putting though.

Manager
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue October 22nd, 2013, 14:53

I really enjoyed this. It's awfully inaccurate but i knew all of this beforehand. The girls dress like they are going to prom. This is might end up to be a guilty pleasure.

I first learned about Adelaide Kane in her dreadful Power Rangers role and on Teen Wolf.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue January 26th, 2016, 01:38

I need to watch this, I've heard good things.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue January 26th, 2016, 01:50

I need not say that though it is based on Real People, there will be very few historical facts in this drama.
    This is a real pity because Mary Stuart in reality is probably more interesting than the drama depicted.

By the way this has been available on DVD on Amazon for quite a bit, cheap too for the entire series!
    Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue January 26th, 2016, 01:52

I'll Netflix it eventually.

And while it's based on real people, it is meant to be a work of fiction

Superstar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue January 26th, 2016, 02:08

Quote Originally Posted by IrishLamb
    I'll Netflix it eventually.

And while it's based on real people, it is meant to be a work of fiction
    All films or dramas are based on fiction. Otherwise the people who made them would get their pants sued off

However people do tend to see even these works of fiction as real.
    Many people have watched JFK and believe the cover up that is implied in the film is true. Even though large parts of the so called historical facts were made up for the film.
    They even started the engines going again after the Titanic struck the iceberg. But not one of the films ever shows that. But nearly everybody (if you asked them) would say it stopped after striking the berg.

It shows how even works of fiction can become fact.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue February 19th, 2019, 03:07

I am currently watching (on DVD) Reign. And even though the historical accuracies are plentiful, it's actually a really good series. Much better than the Tudors, which it apes. But the storylines and plot have got me gripped. Currently on season two, I think there have been four. Well I have season three, so there was three at least.
    If you haven't seen any of it, but have seen Game of Thrones, it's a bit like that in some respects, but with far less budget. There are some gruesome scenes, but unlike Game of Thrones, many of these things did happen.
    It starts with Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots in France and the intrigues of the French Court. With the French Queen Catherine, brilliantly played by the actress they chose for the part. Yes in real life Catherine did poison people, just like in the series. Most people will know from the various films about Mary Queen of Scots, one on the rounds at the moment, about her life in Scotland and captivity in England. But this series takes you through those years that would shape Mary into the person she would become. And that despite the historical faults in the series is really important to know.
    The faults - dancing to a Beyonce tune! Nobody actually speaks French! Drinking Tea!!! I can't say if some of the events actually happened, since I have not really read up on Mary's life in France. But some did, such as the King did get a lance in the eye which killed him and he did have lots of women!

If you haven't seen it I would get the DVD collection.

Legend
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Tue February 19th, 2019, 12:24

I gave up towards the end of S2 for a reason I have now somewhat forgotten. I'm actually rewatching S1 at the moment (all 4 seasons are available on Netflix by the way) and really dislike Francis, that was one of my issues with teh show was that I thought Mary and Bash were much better suited but alas it was never meant to be. Catherine was obviously one of the highlights of the show, Megan Follows did a cracking job there.

Superstar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by » Thu March 7th, 2019, 01:15

Just finished Season Two, with Queen Elizabeth making an appearance. The best looking Elizabeth yet, even if she doesn't really look like her. Still a massive improvement on the one currently in a Hollywood film. No white make up, which didn't enter the scene till long after Mary's death.