Page 3 of 275 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: HITS #1: Slipknot: We Are Not Your Kind (<116k SPS; <102k sales)

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Wed January 29th, 2014, 00:56

Quote Originally Posted by danbarj
    Quote Originally Posted by truthless
    Quote Originally Posted by truthless
    (If you directed your post towards his album)
    Hence why I wrote that too. You should write it out then. I wasn't sure if you were on about his sales in general or just the current album.

Yeah alright. I get your point and I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by danbarj

I already addressed Katy and Lorde's sales consistency down to their hits and promotion. So, I don't see why you needed to restate that.
    I just wanted to point out why she sells so good right now. That was more directed to fridayteenage and not to you.
    Okay buddy! LOL, we were on the same page from jump it seems...
    Oh true .

No probs anyway.

by » Wed January 29th, 2014, 01:02

Quote Originally Posted by fridayteenage
    I don't think it's totally obvious that Katy would still be T10.
    Her album which is *about to* get its 2nd #1 (plus a single that missed T10) has already spent more weeks in the T10 than her last album which scored 6 #1s (plus 2 songs that peaked in the T3).
    Well she's obviously way bigger now than she was in 2010.

Personal Assistant
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Wed January 29th, 2014, 01:41

Amazon.com offering some amazing discounts right now.

Lorde, Drake, Kacey Musgraves, Gary Clark Jr, Kanye, Mumford and Sons, Ed Sheeran all available for $1.99 on mp3
    Taylor's Red, Lana Del Rey, Hunter Hayes, Kendrick Lamar all available for $3.99 on mp3.

Should see a big boost for all those albums.
    'Heartbreak is a National Anthem, We sing it proudly.'

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Thu January 30th, 2014, 00:34

YOUR ONE-DAYS: The pertinent new releases this week are few, as the focus remains heavily on Grammy winners and performers. Speaking of which, the 2014 Grammy Nominees compilation appears to be giving Disney's Frozen soundtrack some strong competition for #1 next week. Here are this week's key debuts:

Casting Crowns (Provident) 65-75k
    Of Mice & Men (Rise) 45-55k

Speaking of Grammy sales bumps, Beyonce, Lorde, Daft Punk and Kacey Musgraves occupy the iTunes Top 10 albums chart, while the broadcast version of "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons f/Kendrick Lamar has charged up to #3 on the singles side. "Drunk in Love" from Beyonce f/Jay Z, John Legend's "All of Me," Lorde's "Royals" and Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" are not far behind. All in all, seven of the Top 10 singles at iTunes were performed on the Grammys. (1/29p)

Legend
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

by » Thu January 30th, 2014, 01:51

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... lboard-200

'Grammy Nominees' Album Aiming for First No. 1 on Billboard 200
    By Keith Caulfield, L.A. | January 29, 2014

Soundtrack to GRAMMY Awards could sell 85,000 copies to top the chart

The long-running "Grammy Nominees" compilation series may nab its first No. 1 next week on the Billboard 200 chart.

Industry sources suggest that the new "2014 Grammy Nominees" compilation -- which boasts an array of artists and songs honored at this past Sunday's GRAMMY Awards -- may sell upwards of 85,000 by the end of the tracking week on Sunday, Feb. 2.

The collection is basking in the glow of the Jan. 26 GRAMMY Awards, which will no doubt push a great many titles up the list next week.

This past week, it debuted at No. 2 on the chart -- the long-running series' highest debut ever -- with 59,000 sold. The "Nominees" series has twice reached No. 2 -- with this year's edition and the 2013 effort.

The new Billboard 200's top 10 will be revealed on Wednesday, Feb. 5.

Also in contention for the No. 1 slot next week is the soundtrack to Disney's "Frozen." The set is currently sitting atop the Billboard 200 -- its third non-consecutive week at No. 1. It sold 93,000 in the week ending January 26, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"Frozen" could benefit from the reissue of its parent film as a sing-a-long movie on Friday, Jan. 31. The new print (complete with a bouncing snowflake to help audiences sing along) will bow in more than 2,000 movie theaters, and will be accompanied by a major TV advertising campaign.

In terms of debuts on the Billboard 200 next week, look for the group Casting Crowns to score possibly the highest new entry, with its new album "Thrive."

Industry sources suggest the album could sell upwards of 75,000 copies by the end of the tracking week on Sunday, Feb. 2. That sum should secure it a spot somewhere in the top five.

The group's last studio set, 2011's "Come to the Well," debuted and peaked at No. 2 -- marking the act's second album to peak in the runner-up slot. "Come to the Well" sold 99,000 in its first week, according to Nielsen SoundScan. In total, the act has charted four top 10 sets, stretching back to 2005's "Lifesong," which debuted and peaked at No. 9.

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 00:05

YOUR TOP 15: As expected, Grammy winners and performers are plentiful in next week’s Top 15; in fact, nine of the 15 below either won, performed or both on the telecast. The 2014 Grammy Nominees compilation get the slight edge today for #1. Disney’s Frozen soundtrack, however, is a very close second and could be the spoiler for Atlantic’s first #1 album since June of last year, one of only three weeks in which the label sat on top in 2013. Here’s how it looks headed into the weekend:

2014 Grammy Nominees (Atlantic) 90-95k
    Frozen (Walt Disney) 85-90k
    *Casting Crowns (Provident) 70-75k
    Lorde (Lava/Republic) 65-70k
    *Of Mice & Men (Rise) 50-55k
    Beyonc? (Columbia) 40-45k
    Imagine Dragons (KidinaKorner/Interscope) 30-35k
    Kacey Musgraves (Mercury Nashville) 30-35k
    Daft Punk (Columbia) 30-35k
    Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (Macklemore) 24-27k
    Andy Mineo (Reach) 24-27k
    Kidz Bop Kids (Razor & Tie) 21-23k
    Katy Perry (Capitol) 21-23k
    Eminem (Shady/Aftermath/Interscope) 18-20k
    Bruno Mars (Atlantic) 18-20k
    Kendrick Lamar (Aftermath/Interscope) 15-17k
    Jennifer Nettles (Mercury Nashville) 15-17k
    Bastille (Virgin) 15-17k

*Debuts

Meanwhile, the Grammy noms comp features tracks by key Republic, Columbia, Interscope, RCA, Capitol, Epic, Mercury Nashville, Capitol Nashville, Warner Nashville, Big Machine and indie artists, but only two by acts actually signed to Atlantic. Just sayin’. (1/30p)

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 00:09

I expected somewhat bigger Grammy effect on Daft Punk and Macklemore, even Lorde

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 00:19

The Grammy effect for everyone is disastrous! Welcome to 2014!

Hey, atleast Lorde and DP will be at 1 million in a few weeks.
    I was waiting for Bey to drop so she could show that T&A arent the only ones smashing album SALES!!!

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 00:20

Katy and Beyoncé possibly decreasing this week after MONSTER performances - probably the two most mainstream appealing... :-? Says little about them (when we look at everyone) and says A LOT about the horrible market and industry!

Plus a lot of snow attacking the North and Southeast coast of the US!

Gold takes on new meaning... it is definitely the benchmark for US album success now. Going platinum is a special achievement!
    I was waiting for Bey to drop so she could show that T&A arent the only ones smashing album SALES!!!

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 00:23

^ Gold should be 250K and platinum 500K.

Legend
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 00:24

Quote Originally Posted by toni_pest
    I expected somewhat bigger Grammy effect on Daft Punk and Macklemore, even Lorde
    Me too, especially for Lorde after the discount.

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 00:58

Quite low for Macklemore, Eminem keeps dropping week to week - at this point he will need at least 5-7 weeks to cross 2,000,000 - sometime in March, most probably. Glad to see Kendrick double his sales from last week

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 01:03

Crap sales considering the Grammy-effect. Seems like danbarj is right...

I mean Beyoncé decreasing after having the opening performance? Macklemore & Ryan only up like 5k after a major award win (Best New Artist) as well as probably the performance highlight of the show? An album making the top 20 with sales below 20k in what's usually considered a busy week? Don't know what to think of that...
    Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 02:01

Quote Originally Posted by skycycle
    Quite low for Macklemore, Eminem keeps dropping week to week - at this point he will need at least 5-7 weeks to cross 2,000,000 - sometime in March, most probably. Glad to see Kendrick double his sales from last week
    Damn Marshall...stop dropping...

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 02:02

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy94

I mean Beyoncé decreasing after having the opening performance? Macklemore & Ryan only up like 5k after a major award win (Best New Artist) as well as probably the performance highlight of the show? An album making the top 20 with sales below 20k in what's usually considered a busy week? Don't know what to think of that...
    Will Valentine helps?

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 02:26

If some artists can still go platinum in one week, it should still the standard for success for whole-run sales.

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 02:29

Quote Originally Posted by alicia11
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy94

Will Valentine helps?
    Slightly... but this market is both iffy and bad.

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 02:31

Quote Originally Posted by alicia11
    Quote Originally Posted by skycycle
    Damn Marshall...stop dropping...
    Obviously I didn't mean to imply he isn't selling well, I just expected a bit better from him, maybe reaching 2,000,000 a bit faster than he probably will

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 02:33

If some artists can still go platinum in one week, it should still the standard for success for whole-run sales.
    ...yeah it should be...but...why even Grammy can't boost sales greatly?

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 02:36

An easy indicator for successful albums is the chart run. Stromae's Racine Carrée has been spending 21 weeks at No. 1 in France, look at what it would've sold doing equally in the US and it surely would've reached Diamond by now. Though I of course know that that's a rare exception and not the rule, danbarj .

fridayteenage, just image a chart run you'd consider successful, neither blockbuster nor just modest, and look at what an album XYZ would've sold with it (you can use the forum search or if you don't know how to use it, send the chart run to me so I could do it for you).

@alicia11: The Grammys used to have lots of sales power but I assume that it has cooled down as well considering acts like Casting Crowns or Of Mice & Men are able to reach the top 5 in what used to be such a busy week. The effect is there but it's not as impressive as it used to be.
    Je n'ai qu'une philosophie: Être acceptée comme je suis. Malgré tout ce qu'on me dit, je reste le poing levé.

Say no to streaming!

Legend
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 02:37

Exceptions have NEVER made the market. Go through the anals of history for receipts.

If Adele sells 30 million albums, and the other 99 A listers sell BELOW 6 million in the end, then Adele would prove to be the exception and NOT the standard.

Nope, not at all.

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 16:50

Makes me think about how the hell Adele sold 730k of 21 the week following Grammy

Superstar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 16:56

Maybe the non-impact of Grammy's has to do with the extreme weather conditions in the US?

Legend
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 17:08

It makes absolutely no sense to base the market standards around the humongous successes of a few outsiders, as danbarj has said. I'm actually starting to turn around on my strong dislike of Timmy proposing lower standards for certifications... I'm shocked myself!

Terrible after-Grammy week, definitely not what I had been hoping for. Seems I'll have to adjust my expectations even further : /

by » Fri January 31st, 2014, 17:41

we haven't really had an unstoppable album since Adele's 21 in 2012 after that Grammy's nor a major artist die during the run up to the awards or just after. besides extreme weather does affect sales. personally I kind of Hope The RIAA do revise their standard certification thresholds as most major markets have done at least once if not multiple times in recent years to account for dwindling album sales and maybe make the new thresholds retro active across time
    "the love of a mothers life is her child/children"