X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blondini
    Site Supporter
    • 01 Nov 2005

(Devin Townsend / Ché Aimee Dorval) - Casualties of Cool

This album suddenly appeared in Thursday mids at 32. Looked on Amazon and the CD is only an import but it's out to download and stream: https://play.spotify.com/album/37cVlKDwp4lcIqb3Bwv4et
    Listed under the group name Casualties Of Cool on Amazon but the two persons' names on download and the mids. The high position is because it was a Pledgemusic supported release. It came out last Wednesday there, though. Didn't register on charts til today.

Review by Amazon user:

If you enjoy the mellow side of Devin Townsend from his extensive catalog, you cannot go wrong with this release. It is a magical release consisting of 15 tracks, 28 if you get the Deluxe version. The tracks blend together, and not all of them have vocals. It is a very atmospheric sounding album with a slight infusion of blues. With all that said, it does contain some of Devin's mad genius in the track Deathscope for example. Although it is atmospheric, there is nothing about it that is boring. There are layers and layers of music and sound effects that keep you guessing on first listen. This will definitely be a release to listen to through headphones, and you can pick up new things each time. Ché Aimee Dorval deserves credit for some amazing vocals and harmonies. Her performance is flawless. The two of them sound like they were meant to do this album together, and it works in every imaginable way. If you enjoy Devin Townsend or progressive music, you will find something to like in this release.
    On his blog, Devin Townsend stated, "Casualties of Cool [is] a duo with myself and Che (ki)... It sounds like haunted Johnny Cash songs. Late night music, completely isolated sounding and different than anything I’ve done. Che sings most of the leads, and it’s probably the truest reflection of who I am in life at this point." He originally announced the album as part of his Devin Townsend Project series, but it is now considered a separate project. On November 20, 2012, Townsend stated that he would release material left over from writing his album Ghost, titled Ghost 2, as a bonus disc to this album, or that he at least hoped to. The track listing was revealed on October 14, 2013.

Concept

Townsend described the story as being about a traveler that is lured to a sentient planet, which feeds on the traveler's fear. The traveler finds solace in an old radio and later an old phonograph. Eventually, he confronts his own fear, and his "force of will to not submit to the fear" liberates a woman held inside the planet, which also frees his own soul.

Track listing

All songs written and composed by Devin Townsend except where noted.
    No. Title Length
    1. "Daddy" (lyrics: Dorval) 5:11
    2. "Mountaintop" (lyrics: Townsend, Dorval) 5:33
    3. "Flight" (lyrics: Dorval) 5:32
    4. "The Code" (lyrics: Townsend, Dorval) 4:41
    5. "Moon" 6:28
    6. "Pier" (Townsend, Ågren) 3:39
    7. "Ether" 4:50
    8. "Hejda" (lyrics: Townsend, Dorval) 3:40
    9. "Forgive Me" (lyrics: Townsend, Dorval) 6:00
    10. "Broken" 1:59
    11. "Bones" (lyrics: Dorval) 3:39
    12. "Deathscope" 6:13
    13. "The Field" (lyrics: Dorval) 4:01
    14. "The Bridge" (Townsend, Epple) 8:13
    15. "Pure" (Epple) 4:08
    Total length:
    73:47

Deluxe Edition Disc 2
    No. Title Length
    1. "Ghost Wives" (lyrics: Townsend, Dorval) 5:04
    2. "Drained" 4:28
    3. "Dig For Gold" (lyrics: Townsend, Dorval) 4:41
    4. "Dead Eyes" 5:53
    5. "Drench" (Townsend, St-Jean, Young) 6:23
    6. "Mend" (Townsend, Schmidt) 3:54
    7. "Where You've Been" 4:52
    8. "Gone is Gone" (lyrics: Townsend, Dorval) 4:13
    9. "Fight" 6:49
    10. "Glass World" 2:36
    11. "Aquarius" 5:11
    12. "Perspective" 7:12
    13. "Moonshine" 3:49
    Total length:
    65:05

Not listened yet. It's country music.
  • CrazyCrazy
    Legend
    • 06 Jan 2008

Country music? Doesn't surprise me with Devin, he is a crazy mad hatter.

Dev & Ché are great together so I'm excited to listen, downloading as we speak.
    My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Comment

• Blondini
      Site Supporter
      • 01 Nov 2005

It's very nice - kind of like what Alabama 3 used to do - or The KLF. Though much darker. Country meets ambient.

Comment

• Blondini
        Site Supporter
        • 01 Nov 2005

Added profile pic to first post. This is actually tremendous - like the best soundtrack to a film. A kind of dark f-ed up western. Album of The Week by miles. Coldplay can suck on their own marshmallow farts.

Comment

• CrazyCrazy
          Legend
          • 06 Jan 2008

Originally posted by Blondini
          Added profile pic to first post. This is actually tremendous - like the best soundtrack to a film. A kind of dark f-ed up western. Album of The Week by miles. Coldplay can suck on their own marshmallow farts.

I'll listen tonight.

Comment

• CrazyCrazy
            Legend
            • 06 Jan 2008

this is the iTunes cover:

Comment

• Blondini
              Site Supporter
              • 01 Nov 2005

Charts at 159 on US Billboard Current Albums (just outside the official top 200).

Comment

• CrazyCrazy
                Legend
                • 06 Jan 2008

Shame it hasn't done better but that's how it is for an artist like Devin.

Anyway love the concept to the album, concepts always give the more imagination.

Oh I'm tagging the artist name as "Casualties of Cool" for this.

Comment

• Blondini
                  Site Supporter
                  • 01 Nov 2005

77 UK.

Comment

• Blondini
                    Site Supporter
                    • 01 Nov 2005

Originally posted by Blondini
                    Charts at 159 on US Billboard Current Albums (just outside the official top 200).
                    Climbs to 154 (#2 Heatseekers).

Comment

• Mark Grego
                      • 27 Aug 2019

Streaming platforms are getting more popular each day, giving us access to hundred millions of albums and songs, regardless of whether you are Apple Music fan, or recent Amazon Music convert.

Spotify music has been around for a long time, it is likely you have got a whole host of playlists you would like to have access to on other music providers, like Google Play Music, Deezer or Apple Music.
                      Apple Music | Spotify
                      Google Play Music | Amazon Music

Comment

• Mark Grego
                        • 27 Aug 2019

Streaming platforms are getting more popular each day, giving us access to hundred millions of albums and songs, regardless of whether you are Apple Music fan, or recent Amazon Music convert.

Spotify music has been around for a long time, it is likely you have got a whole host of playlists you would like to have access to on other music providers, like Google Play Music, Deezer or Apple Music.
                        Apple Music | Spotify
                        Google Play Music | Amazon Music

Comment

Working...